A Smart Guide to Increasing Twitter Activity

Did you know in 2013, Twitter had roughly 200 million active users who sent over 400 million tweets daily?

If you haven’t been keeping up with Twitter, you may be losing an incredible opportunity to let your writing efforts take off. In this quick post, we’re going to show you why Twitter should be a part of your efforts AND how you can avoid letting your Twitter account lie fallow.

Why You Should Be Active on Twitter

• Improves your connection with readers and broadens your network.
  • Amplifies your brand exposure and boosts your social credibility.
  • Increases viral potential without needing a big marketing budget.
  • Helps you stay on top of news in your niche and current events.
  • Completes a social presence when used in conjunction with other social platform leaders.

Activate Your Twitter Presence

If your followers are hearing crickets, then you’re not going to achieve the great benefits Twitter provides. You don’t have to be on Twitter 24/7, but you do need to have an ongoing presence that isn’t broken up by periods of radio silence.

Here are a few tried and true tweet types that you can share on Twitter in a jiffy:

• Provide instructive and helpful tips that are relevant to your niche and resonate with readers.
  • Link to your original Vines, blog posts, articles, press releases, promotions, contests, and more.
  • Pose questions to all of your followers (even consider targeting a question to a specific follower).
  • Curate content by sharing links to 3rd-party relevant articles, videos, images, and more.
  • Retweet content that is relevant to your audience and your brand.
  • Share the latest apps or tools that you think is useful and a brief snippet why you think it’s helpful.
  • Start a conversation by engaging with others by using @replies and mentions.
  • Participate in relevant trending #hashtags by writing a relevant spin on the hashtag to join the discussion.
  • Your behind-the-scenes information and photos (events you’re attending, projects you’re participating in, etc.)
  • Interesting factoids, quotes, compelling observations, and engaging ideas.

Consistently post a mix of the above tweet types regularly to maintain content diversity and follower interest. You can try any number of services, like Hootsuite, to preschedule content so you don’t have to drop what your doing to tweet. However, make sure you get into your Home Twitter feed to see what’s on everyone’s minds at least once a day.

On Twitter? What tips do you have for balancing content with timeliness? Any particular Twitter do’s and don’ts that you would like to share? Share your comments, questions, and suggestions – we’d love to hear from you!

Stop by to follow @EzineArticles, where we share tips, advice, and the latest article writing news daily!

Useful tips for strengthening your credibility and expanding the readership.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Thomas Bux writes:

Yes, I agree!

Mike Andrews writes:

I have to admit that I have a twitter account but didn’t bother about it thinking that it was of no use to me but now that I am aware of it’s potential has made me think that I should give Twitter a proper try. The trick is to first be sure of the usefulness of something on the internet before putting a lot of time, effort and money into making something of it.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I guess it is time to make use of my twitter account.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Sean Cox writes:

Excellent! Thanks so much for the tips. I’m trying to figure out how to better use Twitter, and now I know!

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Schalk Lubbe writes:

I have a Twitter account, but as a user I found Twitter to be absolutely useless. There’s too much garbage there, and (it seems to me) you basically have to have your eyes screwed to Twitter 24 x 7 in order to see when something of value shows up. That just seems a massive waste of time to me, so I haven’t been on Twitter for about 18 months or longer…
I still don’t see how posting a single message among a million others per day would reach anybody who could be a potential client.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Hi Schalk,

You do make some valid points. However, I’d like to touch on some of the benefits:

1. You don’t need to watch Twitter 24/7, by setting aside some social media time you can briefly see what is trending via the hashtags that are used to see if you can join in the conversation. You also want to ensure you are following the right people. Follow the people who are influential in your niche, as well as your customers to see what they are saying about you and your business. Right now, they are sharing gold tidbits of information pertinent to you and your business. It’s out there. You just need to listen for it.
2. You potentially have a much higher reach than using Facebook since anyone can search the hashtags that you use.
3. The younger audience is now on Twitter. The younger demographics are leaving Facebook, so depending on your target audience this may be the route you want to take. It’s important to utilize the platform where your target audience spends the most time, so I’d recommend doing some research to find out where you should be putting your efforts.
4. You don’t want to post a single message, what you want to do is join in the conversation. Meaning, posting frequently things that relate to your topic/business and not just blatant sales pitches as people don’t like being sold to.

By following the above tips you will likely see the outcome change. Why not give it a shot? :)

~Vanessa

Matthew Morris writes:

I agree in large part with Schalk above. I use Twitter to announce when I post new articles, and see a modest readership boost from doing so. However, to post constantly when there really is not anything to say simply turns the output of my account into noise.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Mary Tucker writes:

thanks for the insights….will be spending more time in Twitter.

Comment provided January 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Md Sarwar writes:

Excellent! Thanks so much for the tips, useful information of Great website.

Comment provided January 29, 2014 at 4:28 AM

Pete Buckley writes:

Have never used it for the reason that there’s a vast volume of less than useful stuff on there but some interesting tips here – have heard before that the hash tags are a useful tool. May give it a go…

Comment provided January 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Lisa McKeogh writes:

Thanks for the “food for thought”.

Comment provided January 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Ruth writes:

I haven’t been engaging in to my conversations with tweet because sometimes I get busy and tired at the end of the day. I will try to change that.

Comment provided January 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM

craig woodall writes:

It’s true, twitter is huge. At times it seems to big, where you don’t know how to get your twit on. thank you for the sound advice. I will try it out as soon as I can.

Comment provided January 30, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Famat writes:

I use Twitter to announce when I post new articles. Thanks for advice

Comment provided February 4, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Patrick writes:

I will have to partially agree with Vanessa. Twitter influencers were first built outside of Twitter. Their businesses and brands were not developed through interaction with social media on Twitter – they’ve either existed before Twitter or were first run/marketed traditionally like any other local business.

It seems people are often misled by the thought that engaging and influencing on Twitter/Facebook/G+ will start their business up from scratch, while the only use of twitting business-wise is to spread the word about your already EXISTING and established business or products.

Comment provided February 22, 2014 at 9:38 AM