Top Spelling Blunders: Holiday Edition

Check Out These Holiday Spelling Errors

Grab your dictionaries and proofreading checklists – we’re putting a new spin on our old Top Spelling Blunders series to bring you a holiday spelling errors edition!

For those who missed out on the series last Spring, these pesky errors are the most commonly misspelled words in the English language. In order to help you maintain your credibility and build confidence in your writing skills we collected the most common spelling mistakes to share with you and this post features those blunders associated with the holiday season.

Without further ado, we give you: The Top Holiday Spelling Blunders!

1. Honoring the Fallen

On December 7, we annually observe National Pearl Harbor Remembrance (not Rememberance) Day, to remember and honor all those who died in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

2. Going on Holiday

Thinking about going on holiday? You should try visiting the Caribbean (not the Carribean). Want something a little more temperate? How about visiting Portugal? Don’t forget your Portuguese (not Portugese) language guide! No? Well, there’s always Great Britain (not Britian).

3. The Temperature

What’s the temperature outside? 32 degrees Fahrenheit (not Farenheit) or 0 degrees Celsius (not Celcius).

4. Singing Holiday Carols

How does that holiday song go? “It’s beginning (not begining) to look a lot (not alot) like …” Or there’s the Elton John classic “ho ho ho, surprise, surprise” (not suprise, suprise).

5. Giving Thanks

When showing your appreciation, try: “I received (not recieved) your little memento (not momento)! Thank you for such a wonderful gift. I am truly (not truely) grateful (not greatful).”

Bonus Punctuation Howler: Greeting Cards

Season’s (not Seasons) Greetings! Consider it like this: Whose greetings? It’s the season’s greetings; therefore you use an apostrophe* to indicate the greetings belong to the current season. Similarly, New Year’s (not New Years) is a shortened version to describe both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

*Warning! This rule is far from consistent in the English language (e.g., Christmas Eve). It’s best to familiarize yourself with the correct version of the phrase before users grab snapshots of your error and post it all over the Internet.

To recap our holiday edition of the Top Spelling Blunders (and Bonus Punctuation Howler), add these 15 words to your reference list to strengthen your writing skills and keep your credibility intact!

1. remembrance
  10. received
  11. memento
  12. truly
  13. grateful
  14. Season’s Greetings
  15. New Year’s

For more, browse our Grammar Tips category!

Sarah Caplan writes:

The spelling mistake we find most often in our correspondence is accommodation – remember two c’s and 2 m’s!

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Thanks for these 15 words to add to our reference list to strengthen our writing skills and keep our credibility intact. Truly, most of these words pose problem when one is busy writing and in a hurry, without a dictionary. But now, with these as reference list, one may at least have some relief. If possible, kindly give us more of such list as reference. Regards.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Mercy Okpubigho writes:

This article is good in correcting my spelling problems. Thanks

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

You got me with “alot” lol. I see it as one word but Microsoft Words sees it as “a lot”.

“Received” gets me also. I always remember the phrase: ‘I’ before ‘E’, except after ‘C’. But i still get things messed up.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

davidinnotts writes:

Never been one word, Randall! No more than thelot or mylot. However, you can allot Christmas cake around the table, rather than let people grab what they want.

Don’t forget, though, that if all these are typed into a word-processing program like Word, they ALL get picked up! So, no excuses. If you aren’t spelling perfect, use a checker then ask savvy people to proofread it for you as well.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Michael LaRocca writes:

I sure do see ‘alot’ a lot. It’s always wrong.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Thanks good tips.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Cung mua writes:

I also hope the issue concerns all help. Thank you very much.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Emily writes:

‘Portuguese’ is hard to keep in mind, but spell check reminds one. Speaking of that, the difference in spelling between the Philippines and Filipino (if I am remembering them correctly) is something I learned about why it’s that way, and promptly forgot. Perhaps you could put this one on your list.

‘Granary’ is misspelled even by court reporters. Yes, it’s a word one hardly ever uses.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Zahra J. Saleh writes:

Great to learn or know where we always get wrong. I never master to write certain worlds, such as: receive or receiving as well accommodation. It seems I still have long way to go in terms of mastering this language.

Comment provided November 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Helen writes:

Don’t people have spell checkers?

My problem is more typos that make other, incorrect, real yet properly spelt words, the spell checker doesn’t pick that up.

My two biggies are ‘sued’ instead of ‘used’ and ‘manger’ instead of ‘manager’ (she says, typing and checking *really* carefully!).

Comment provided November 24, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Maria writes:

Ah yes! Have just finished proofreading some teachers’ reports! Enough said.

Comment provided November 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Rae Ronquillo writes:

“alot”. For all this years I have been using “alot” and I just realized today after reading that it’s wrong.

Comment provided November 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Kadir writes:

Thanks for the article!!! It made me to correct my spelling mistakes.

Comment provided November 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Nikole smith writes:

“add these 15 words to your reference list to strengthen your writing skills and keep your credibility intact!”

In this section mentioned all points is very helpful.

Comment provided November 27, 2012 at 3:33 AM

CH James writes:

Since this is the time of year we hope is prosperous and happy for everybody, I think it’s fitting to share one of my favorite ways of remembering the spelling of a word we’re all after!

“Double the C, double the S, and you’ll have success spelling success!”

Comment provided November 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Ricky writes:

Thanks.

So, I have been using the wrong “Seasons”. From now on it will the right Season’s Greetings!

Comment provided November 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM