Expert Author Showcase: Peter Phillips

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Peter Phillips

Hailing from Canberra, Australia, Internet entrepreneur and offline consultant Expert Author Peter Phillips writes articles to help small businesses thrive. Offering a wide variety of articles and services on website design, logo design, video production, and mobile optimized websites, Peter is a regular contributor to business magazines and forums.

Before he published his first article in 2006, Peter thought publishing articles to get quality traffic “seemed too easy” – there had to be a catch. “I used to worry that my writing wasn’t good enough, but once I got a few articles published, I realized it was,” he said.

When asked what set him apart from other Expert Authors, Peter replied: “Probably nothing – to get to that status you have to pass a stringent review by EzineArticles adjudicators.” He continued, “I will say that I pay particular attention to spelling and grammatically correct sentences … I have made some laughable mistakes, which would have got through if I hadn’t re-read my article properly. One example would be when I wrote that a man was arrested for stealing cats (instead of cars!).”

For inspiration, Peter reads extensively. From newspapers to blogs, “if I read something that fires me up, I’ll dash to the computer and start writing.” Creating an outline of the main points, Peter will use voice recognition software and speak the thoughts that come from each point. “I pay no attention to spelling, grammar or article construction; I will hone it when I’ve finished writing. From start to finish, Peter’s writing session take approximately a half an hour.

Advice From Expert Author Peter Phillips

Offering tons of advice for new and experienced Expert Authors, here are additional highlights we gleamed from our interview with Peter:

• Article writing should always be a pleasure, not a chore. If I don’t feel like writing, I don’t. You will invariably write a better article if you are pleased to be writing it than if you are not.

• Sometimes you really want to write about something, but it is sometimes possible to say all you want to say about it in less than 100 words. The challenge then is to make an article of reasonable length without resorting to obvious padding.

• Avoid obvious keyword stuffing. By all means use keywords, but the article should flow smoothly – don’t make the keywords look out of place in relation to the rest of the article. Remember, an article is an article, not a sales letter.

• Have an interesting headline, one that will make the reader say “I wonder what that is all about?” Remember the golden rules of the structure of an article: (1) Tell them what you are going to tell them. (2) Tell them. (3) Tell them what you’ve just told them.

Increase the quality traffic to your blog or website by taking Peter’s advice: Write for pleasure and know your writing is good enough, if you give it a little quality care.

Do you have a question or comment for Peter? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below. On My.EzineArticles.com? Add Peter to your Network!

Michael Kumar writes:

Nice Advice Peter :)

Cheers,
Michael

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

James Covian writes:

Hi Peter,
I enjoyed your Show Case Article. I can truly relate to your thoughts about not writing good enough. It paralyzes me to think that I might not be credible and not have anything worthy to share through my writing. Thank You! For being such an encouragement to me to move forward and overcome my writing phobia.

James Covian, Austin, Texas. USA

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM

sivaraman writes:

Hello .

Your article gives importance to write first or make an attempt then only you will get what is right or wrong,and you are correct in saying what ever comes first after reading an article write it immediately.This point is well for beginners and those aspire to write.Like to get more from you .Thanks for encouraging words for people like me and many.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Steven Clare writes:

Thanks for the tips Peter. For us new to this it is good to see how someone as successful as yourself can break the success down into manageable levels.

I always do a spell check before submitting an article, with technology today it is fairly easy.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Brett Riley writes:

Hi Peter,
That gives me some encouragement. I’m currently waiting for my first article to be approved so I can relate to “whether my writing is good enough”

Cheers
Brett Riley, Gold Coast, Australia

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Stephen Craine writes:

What a great line, ‘Article writing should always be a pleasure.’ You’re right the best articles come when the mood is right.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Betty L Eriksen writes:

Thanks for these simple to follow steps, Peter.

Wish it took me just half an hour to write an article. I love your golden rule. Your article was very encouraging.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Hi Peter, congrats on the publicity. I also agree that article writing should be a pleasure, not a chore. Once again congrats!

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Nanda writes:

Hi Peter,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and views, which are very encouraging. I loved that you have said”Article writing should always be a pleasure, not a chore. If I don’t feel like writing, I don’t. You will invariably write a better article if you are pleased to be writing it than if you are not.”
I am like you as you said that when you read From newspapers to blogs, “if I read something that fires me up, I’ll dash to the computer and start writing”, love to do the same thing and I also do the same silly mistakes when I am not in a right condition to write and for that I had been corrected by EzineArticles so many times.
Thanks for your tips for getting quality traffic on my blog or websites, it will be very helpful to me.

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Joaseph Dabon writes:

He made writing as straightforward as it could e

But somehow, a lot of us, including I, can often twist it around into an intelligible heap..

Comment provided November 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Fantastic Job

This point is really inspire me and thanks for published these golden rules

Comment provided November 2, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Bev writes:

Thanks for your tips and I also agree writing should be fun and pleasurable.

Comment provided November 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Bev writes:

Thanks Peter for the valuable share.

Comment provided November 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Maria writes:

Thanks Peter.
As a fellow Canberran, I endorse your idea of writing only when you are in the mood. I find that if I force myself to write, I might as well have gone out and watched a good movie. Ideas simply don’t flow.

Comment provided November 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Thanks so much for these tips dished out to benefit us, the new babies. honestly, before now, I feel like giving up anything or every thing called article. Because it appears I am getting confused.
My question is: what is the difference between promoting the product in the body of the article and providing information in the body of the article?
2. We were told, if I can very well recollect that: the body of the article must contain all provided as the tittle.
3. And again, that the resource box is where, the Author expresses his or her self or all that he or she has to say about himself or herself.
However, I am cooling myself first before I get back in full swing again. Now, do I submit more articles, when I have much in the problem status? Regards.

Comment provided November 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hi Salihu,

1. We are only able to accept informative content in the body of your articles. The promotional material for your products or services should be reserved for the Resource Box only. A key to this is to think of it this way, your article body is your ‘Give’ to your reader where you provide all the information they need to make an informed decision. The Resource Box is your ‘Take’ from your reader, this is where you can include information about yourself, your business, etc.

2. Yes, the article body must deliver on what you have promised your readers in the article title.

3. Yes, you can include information about yourself in your Resource box as was covered in #1.

If you have any further questions regarding your particular articles we recommend contacting our Member Support Team through the Contact Us button inside your My.EzineArticles account.

~Vanessa

David Williams writes:

Congratulations Peter !

Comment provided November 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Holistic writes:

Thanks for these simple steps, Peter. IThe post is inspiration for me to write more and to be more and more good at writing. I’ve also problems with grammatically correct sentences but it make me to exercise and I think for few months I will do it perfectly.

Comment provided November 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Preetam writes:

Thank you peter for your great tips, really helpful.. will apply them on myself from right now!

Comment provided January 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM