How to Add Humor to Your Articles

“Easier Said Than Done”

A recommendation like “incorporate humor into your articles” is generally met by a series of groans. Let’s get the “yeah, but” and “easier said than done” complaints out of the way. Many authors object because they believe they don’t have a funny bone in their body, no one gets their jokes, or their articles are too serious for humor.

What’s really behind all of this anti-humor sentiment is many authors fear becoming a rotten tomato target, i.e., they fear being booed off the stage.

Forget rejection and just go for it.

Humor allows you to liven up your articles (no matter the gravity of the subject), it makes an impression on the reader, and increases trust in your brand. You don’t have to have your audience rolling in the aisle or write a whole comedy routine. Just lighten up!

Let’s get cracking with these humor infusion tips.

Pretend You’re Van Gogh (You Can Keep Your Ear)

Consider the reader’s senses by painting a picture with descriptive language. Rather than tell the reader a, b, and c, show the reader a, b, and c. Break out the thesaurus to use evocative language and provide sensory details (e.g., smell, taste, sight, etc.), metaphors, or even similes. Use relatable settings based on common ground (e.g., universal events, facts, truths, beliefs, etc.), but give them an odd twist to be unpredictable.

For example:

Use these tips to write quality articles quickly.
Use these tips to bang out enriching articles faster than a polar bear leaving a salad bar.

Once Upon a Time …

Readers love to relate and reality is often funnier than fiction. Consider an analogy or story related to your topic. Look at the world around you – what situations remind you of your topic? Many authors incorporate their children’s antics to illustrate their points or tie in their favorite hobby to explain their strategy or point.

Bear in mind your article doesn’t have to be an elaborate storyline with twists that zig and turns that zag. Here are three methods of humorous story infusion:

• Seasoned: Add a light dash of humor by simply finding opportunities to liven up your article, whether it a sentence, a tagline, or an analogy.

• Bookends: Begin with a humorous analogy in your introduction and then tie it in again in the conclusion to resonate with the reader.

• Storyboard: Based entirely on an experience or event, take an extraordinary event that is directly relevant to your topic and provide your account of it with an informative twist (e.g., the day everything seemed to go wrong).

K.I.S.O.S.T.C. (Keep it Simple or Suffer the Consequences)

Humor requires preparation (first winsome draft), editing (second agonizing draft), and then the final cut (final draft of solace). Simplify the article by trimming verbiage to maintain the core message while keeping key elements of humor. Be merciless. Ask a friend to read your piece while paying attention to details and solicit recommendations. You may think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, but if your friend or peer thinks otherwise – edit, edit, edit.

WARNING: For comedians, anything is game; however, as an Expert Author, please don’t target any particular person, demographic, etc., with offending, libel remarks. Keep it clear and respectful.

There you have it! Start brainstorming by trying out a new turn of phrase, storytelling, and polishing. Create mesmerizing content by entertaining and educating readers at the same time to make an impression and build trust.

Sanju kmr writes:

Thank for sharing nice Information….

Comment provided September 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Deborah Hall writes:

Thanks. Good, solid information I can use.

Comment provided September 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Trying to be funny in your articles is a tough thing. I think you have to have a good sense of humor in the first place if you’re trying to get other people to laugh. But the tips in this post are good… will definitely add to my repotoire.

Comment provided September 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Aditi writes:

Hi,
Well, I think the same that adding humour to your post
definitely brings up emotions in your post. This is perfectly correct. Anyway, your post is really very informative. Thanks for the share!!

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Shahnewaz M writes:

there is a very thin line between humor and sheer stupidity, you have drawn it very nicely.. thanks for sharing this…

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Depending on the subject matter, a little humor definitely helps, especially as an attention grabber used to snare the reader. After all, informative or not, you need to be entertaining to keep their attention, right? I use humor as much as possible. For example, here’s a piece I wrote on over-crowding and personal space, but using humor in regards to sharing the bathroom and how inconvenient It can be, I snagged a bunch more readers than I normally would:

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Elmarie writes:

Humor can make the whole world a little better one article at a time.

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Cathrina writes:

Not that everyone reads serious articles, laughter is healthy. This makes things a whole lot easier when writing something then changing your mind of what you want to say. Great information.

I don’t think it’s hard work to be a little funny while you post articles. Actually that might just trigger one, or more users to come back and read your other posts. We live in an entertaining generation, and even if some are searching for serious stuff…well everybody has a mouth, we might as well laugh a bit. And looking from the other side I don’t think we will ever have the case of somebody saying: “Man this author made me laugh; I’ll never click back here”! Com ooon!! Just the other day I wrote an article about “how to write short stories for children”, and I used a humorous shade on it – that made my 1h and a half really nice. So it’s good for everybody! Right on the spot with this post! It would be very interesting a contest: Who has the funniest serious post! Now who organizes this contest? If you don’t do it, I’ll do it! :)
Good day to all!
Storyteller Queen

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Great Idea, I believe that it is also Funner to write humor into your articles, it makes me smile as I am writing. When happy writers write humor it’s like getting a prize in your happy meal, and for the reader that’s a good deal.

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

ismail azmi writes:

many things that i get after reading your writing. Thanks.

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Rahman Mehraby writes:

Sense of humor is different in different countries and among various cultures.I think your idea of keeping it simple could help a lot.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Moaz goush writes:

Humor attracts me when I’m reading the article.

Comment provided September 12, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Ivan Aliku writes:

Very helpful tips. I often try to add humor in my blog but in a very careful way. I have not really done that much in my articles. With these tips, think I would confidently be able to write and add a little humor for now. Thanks.

Comment provided September 13, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Mary Segers writes:

My children HATE it when I talk about them in articles…so I just don’t tell them anymore. Hehe

Comment provided September 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Nc James writes:

I go with everything you wrote in this article, it’s very informative and i love it. Add humor, hook people like hungry fishes. I will use this on my site too.

Comment provided September 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Irsah Imihar writes:

Glad you mentioned the warning part. Make it general and easily understood humours. It brings out the emotions for the articles itself. But like you said, too much of humour may lead the other way. Thanks for the tips.

Comment provided September 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Moronke Odugbesan writes:

I wrote an article on the family and happiness. I used a folk story for my illustration and concluded it with a short joke.

Comment provided September 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Anthony Dejolde writes:

Awesome! I’ve always wanted to inject humor to my writing, however, everytime I try, Jim Carry zooms in the room and distracts me.

Comment provided September 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Maria writes:

Great idea! I have tried this in some of my articles. People respond more positively to a lttle bit of light relief I think.

Comment provided September 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

horton25 writes:

Great! It really takes a single step to travel miles, Its not that easy to inject humor every time we write articles …it takes sense ….as they say …sense of humor they go together..

keep post’n….

Comment provided October 3, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Irham Maulana writes:

Cool, I am new article writer. Seems my article need to add humor on it because is so serious.
Lol

Thx Chris ;)

Comment provided October 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

HI Irham, I think we are the same type of person that have no sense of humour, lol..

kimm Smith writes:

I am glad to see your nice and very informative post.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Joaseph Dabon writes:

Having a dash of wit and humor is very much like being photogenic or graceful in dancing. It comes with the person.

You can put in humor into your article but if it is not “you” you would not find it funny, neither will your readers.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Alain writes:

Developing a sense of humor takes time. You have to become comfortable with your one voice. It also goes along with the writer`s personality. If the writer do not have a sense of humor in his regular life, it is very difficult and disingenuous to write with a sense of humor.

Comment provided December 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

ismail azmi writes:

i think many people will be committed to suicide without humor.

i love humor, great post

Comment provided December 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM

eden writes:

this is a great article! Great help for newbies like me.. I’ll try to pop this up in my writings..

Comment provided June 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM

FranYo writes:

My humorous side is greatly sarcastic & hugely into hyperbole ….. not always appreciated but for other such people, in the millions, at least understood. Yeah, right…

Comment provided April 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading
it, you happen to be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great writing, have a nice holiday
weekend!