Expert Author Showcase: Kathy Manney

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Kathy Manney in Today’s Showcase

Passion and dedication. Take these two qualities and focus them into a goal to become an unstoppable force. Need proof? Meet EzineArticles Expert Author Kathy Manney.

Although she had wanted to become a professional writer since winning a national high school writing contest, Kathy didn’t trust her writing abilities. When she married and became a mother of two, her dream was always there egging her on to write. It wasn’t until after her children had grown and she was on vacation that she experienced a moment of clarity regarding her goal. “I realized time was running out,” Kathy said. “It was now or never if I was ever going to write for publication.”

With her rekindled drive to become a writer, Kathy returned to school to take writing classes. Many think writing and creativity is an innate spark – you’ve either got it or you don’t – and doubt whether a workshop can turn an amateur into a professional writer. “Only if you want it enough!” is Kathy’s emphatic response. “Life truly is good. Looking back I just have to wonder what took me so long.”

Drawing on inspiration from her travel and life experiences, Kathy reflected that writing is much more than communication and expression – it’s being and breathing. “Writing means something that I can continue indefinitely at my own design,” Kathy expressed. “Writing about one’s life, one cannot help but learn that we are the creators of our own lives through the choices that we made along the way and continue to make. I have always enjoyed creating things. Creating gives me a feeling of control. With crafts or writing; there’s a beginning, middle and an end. I am the one making it happen.”

What were your biggest article writing challenges?

[Kathy] My top writing and marketing challenges have been the fact I am not a journalism grad and not allowing this to checkmate my will to write. If I were to do so, I would inevitably form the habit of being defeated in my decision to forge ahead. In writing nostalgic pieces, recreating feelings can be difficult. As for marketing, something writers seldom discuss is that in every way commercial publishing is a game of chance. Some editors don’t pay as promised and/or it takes many letters of reminder to receive payment when due.

What advice would you give to new writers?

[Kathy] When advising newcomers to the writing field, I suggest that you be a dedicated reader to be a writer. Someone who wants to write, but doesn’t love to read is like someone who talks and never listens. You also have to put the butt to the seat, because writing is a study in determination and persistence. Last, be one of those writers who take seriously the injunction to write about what you know.

Rekindle your passion and dedication for article writing by not only trusting in your abilities, but use the many resources available to build confidence in yourself. Time is running out! Draw on your own life experiences to create unique, quality content that impacts your audience and improves your authority in your niche.

Do you have a question or comment for Kathy? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

Vijay Mishra writes:

Hello penny, I have a question that why hasn’t show Kathy’s topic.

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Daniel Hazard writes:

Hello Kathy, As an aspiring writer myself, its reassuring to know that you’ve found some success. my question is this; what has been your biggest reward or cause for celebration as a writer?

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Kathy Manney writes:

Daniel,
You asked about my success in writing. There are two ways to answer this question, if you mean monetary success; I am still in line waiting. If you mean the success of accomplishment that nurtures the soul and makes me feel like I have made it, then the answer is having a monthly newspaper column.
The newspaper does not pay me, but having a monthly column is a great source for “clips” and when people ask, “Who do you write for?” I have a ready answer, where before, my response was vague. People don’t take your writing as serious if you answer with something like, “Whoever I can get to buy it.”
Many writers will advise you not to write for free, but if writing for free is a stepping stone to getting noticed and read, then I say, “Why not?”
Kathy

wayne writes:

Can a person apply the same writing styles and skills to both a website and to a article for publication

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Hi Kathy,
Looks like you are off and running with your writing career. Keep at it, never quit, and be sure to think before you try to write anything. Keep on sending articles to EzineArticles as often as you can. You should also go to Smashwords.com and see what they have to offer to you (for free) regarding publishing what you write. What they do can be fun and rewarding (in sale$). I have 5 books there and another on the way.
Regards,
Terry

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Kathy Manney writes:

Terry,
Thank you for the writing encouragement and suggesting Smashwords. I will look at what they offer. I was surprised to see that I was chosen as featured writer today. I hope that my story will encourage other writers to keep trying. In regard to writing, “Dreams can come true, that can happen to you…” Kathy

Daniel Hazard writes:

@ Terrance, What books do you have that have sold and what are the subjects? What advice ac you give regarding writing an ebook?

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Hi Daniel,
You can see my books by going to: http://www.smashwords.com and searching for Terry Weber. Only one book about dentures has sold so far.
Smashwords contains lots of details about writing ebooks. Hope this helps you.
Terry

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Kathy,
EzineArticles did a SHOWCASE about me awhile back,
you might find some helpful suggestions there.
Regards,
Terry

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Hi Kathy, great publicity. I applaud your action of going back to school to take writing classes. You must really like writing lol. Once again, congrats!

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Janette Thomas writes:

Couldn’t agree more. Until you start, you have no idea where it will lead you.

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Kathy,

You are an inspiration to anyone who wants to get started writing.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Kathy Manney writes:

Being an inspiration for other writers is a very nice compliment.
Kathy

Wow, congratulations Kathy!

Wish I’d be featured too next year. You have an inspiring story so I’ll really keep on writing and writing.

Comment provided August 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM

mir ullah writes:

Passion and dedication are the two vital key word which i learn from your tuned article.

Thanks, your guideline will encourage me to become a ezine writer.

Comment provided August 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Samuel Kariuki writes:

Hi Kathy
I am inspired by your story to continue writing. I started out as a blogger but now I am writing for the web. I am preparing my own ebook but if you have any advice on where I can publish it I would be very glad.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Hi Kathy
congrats on the publicity!
keep good work!