Expert Author Showcase: Gerald Gillis

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Gerald Gillis in Today’s Showcase

Gerald began writing articles in June 2010 based on the advice of a fellow author. The advice was this: Article writing is an effective way to deliver messages to readers, while at the same time establishing and building upon your brand. Two years later, Gerald has found this advice both accurate and worthwhile.

Unfettered and unrestricted to one particular area of specialty, Gerald writes for a variety of niches. As a novelist, Gerald reaches out to fellow writers and offers his advice on writing and written communications. As a former business leader, Gerald provides effective articles on business communications, business ethics, public speaking, and leadership. “These areas are complimentary,” Gerald said, “and I have the background and experience to write credibly in each of them.”

Audience Approach: Why Reinvent the Wheel?

Motivated to write about topics that would have benefited him earlier, Gerald approaches his audience’s needs with his own hard-earned insights. “If the information would have been of value to me, then I assume that someone else would benefit from it as well,” Gerald said. In turn, this incredible information helps keep his audience informed and gives his readers the ability to innovate – why reinvent the wheel when great things are just around the corner!

Working from his home office with a cup of hot tea and streaming classical music off the Internet, Gerald considers his topic. Should he ever get stuck, he takes a break to exercise. “Often during exercise, my writing mind is working in the background, hurtling the barriers and greasing the gears,” Gerald commented. “Once back at my desk, the writing process generally proceeds nicely.” With a topic in mind, Gerald will then develop an outline to determine its flow, areas that will need additional research, and “then it’s write, proof, and publish. Voila!”

Here are more highlights from our interview with Gerald:

What were your biggest challenges and how did you overcome those challenges?

• Compacting a crisp message into 400 words was an initial challenge. Reading other articles was helpful, but the best way to develop one’s article-writing skills is to keep writing.

• Since I have a broader scope with my writing and business experience, I sometimes have to make sure that I don’t stray too far away from my primary areas with tempting, but poorly fitting topics.

• Only recently in my article writing did I start to use Facebook and Twitter to market my articles. Looking back, I would have used social media at an earlier stage.

What tools do you find the most beneficial?

EzineArticles has impressed me with their standards of professionalism and excellence. I am happy to be one of their authors.

I like the statistical information. I enjoy numbers, and the data gives me an opportunity to see which of my articles best resonates with readers. The information can be useful in determining future topics where the interest seems high.

If you had to start over again, what would you change?

Write, and write often to develop the feel needed to construct an effective message in 400 words, or thereabouts. And use social media!

Open yourself up to your passions and your experiences in your next set of quality, original articles. Take a peek at your own articles’ statistical information to evaluate your overall article performance.

Do you have a question or comment for Gerald? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

Online Jobs writes:

Nice to meet you Mr. Gerald Gillis.. All of you encouraged me to write creative articles and to boost my career as an article writer.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Gerald Gillis writes:

Thanks for your comment, and I wish you the very best with your writing. Good luck!

Ulki Goswami writes:

Loved the part about exercising. When blood circulates in the brain, they give spark to ideas. Workouts can work wonders for writers!

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Gerald Gillis writes:

Thanks for the comment, Ulki. Good luck with your writing.

Gerald,

I agree with Ulki. Your reminder to get up and exercise is so important. I have often found myself sitting at the computer for hours without stretching or changing position. That movement is good for your brain, clears your mind, and ideas can start flowing.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Gerald Gillis writes:

Thanks for your comment, Dr. Erica. You’ve reminded me I need to exercise today. :)

Randall Magwood writes:

Hi Gerald. Congrats on the publicity and the awesome tips that you use when writing your articles. Do you write everyday, or only a few times per week?

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hi Randall:

I try to write every day, if possible. It’s a good habit to build. Thanks for the comment and question.

Kathy Manney writes:

Great advice. You are an inspiration to other writers.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Gerald Gillis writes:

Thanks for the comment and encouragement, Kathy. Much appreciated.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Werner writes:

Hi Gerald thanks for sharing your success story with us also thank you for your useful tips. Keep up the good work.
Cheers!

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Hi Werner:

I appreciate your kind comments. Best wishes.

david writes:

thanks for sharing your success story with us,good luck for you.
Best regards.

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Gerald Gillis writes:

Thanks for commenting, David. Best of luck.

Gerald

I enjoyed spending much of my evening reading through your articles – excellent work – I learned quite a bit – so I thank you very much.

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Margaret Crosby writes:

As a new writer your moments and insights are very helpful

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Hi Margaret:

Thank you for your kind comment.

Hello Lance:

I’m glad you enjoyed the articles. Thanks for spending the time to review them, and also thanks for the feedback.

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Jimmy James writes:

Hello Gerald. After reading your articles I feel there is still hope for me and my writing ability. I feel my writing is improving and some of your tips should certainly help. Thanks for the great information!

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Hi Jimmy:

Thanks for the kind remarks. Keep on writing!

Joseph Dabon writes:

Before reading this, I was perusing a long article from the editor of copyblogger.

Essentially the messages are the same: to be a good writer, one must write, write and write, like hell.

What makes this approach boggling to the mind is that for people who have no writing genes, it is like walking an endless path.

Comment provided August 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hi Joseph:

Writing is like any other skill, and as such must be practiced to become fully developed. Part of it is skill, sure, but diligence and application play a large role. If writing is something you badly want to do, then don’t give up.

The world is full of wonderfully talented people who gave up, and likewise full of successful, lesser talented people who didn’t.

Thanks for your comment. Hang in there.

Comment provided August 25, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Right on. It seems that the only thing that fetters a writer down is is/her own doing.

Comment provided August 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

josephsfng writes:

Dear Dr.
It appears that you have an added advantage because you hold a PhD. Is it? Does it helps to undergo a course in journalism and etc. Author of the Harry Potter and Steven King are. Agreed?

I believe that we must build our own storehouse first. How can we give tips and advicesif you don’t have goods in your store? True?

RK Roland Author of ‘Harry Porter Books’ has been exposed to old England setting through her studies! If you notice, her books is highly slanted to her background of her studies in the relevant university? Agree?

You seems to be a man of wealth. How come you did advocate earning monies in your pursue of writing. The bottom line is that we have to put foods on our table. Physic happiness is not enough, if I may say so myself. What’s your opinion

Thanks for all your valuable comments and unselfish sharing.

Love:
Bro. Joe
GBU

Comment provided September 1, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Hi Joe:

I have an MBA, but not a PhD. I majored in Business Adminstration, and learned writing on my own. I am not a man of wealth, but I had a business career to sustain me while I began writing. If you can earn a good living with your writing, then all the better. Writing can certainly lead to other potential sources of income, such as speaking, teaching, consulting, etc.

Good luck, and thanks for your comments.

Karen Pincott writes:

hi Gerald,
It’s quite evident that you have great writing abilities.
please share with us more experience, you are amazing.Thank you very much!

Comment provided October 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hi Karen:

Thanks for your kind comments. You can find more of what I’ve written on writing, speaking, and leadership topics on my author page.

Thanks again, Gerald