From My Desk to Yours – 37th Edition

WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW
By: Penny, EzineArticles Managing Editor

The Internet is ruled by content. You can leverage your expertise, increase your exposure, and more with content. However, your success depends on how well you separate yourself from other experts in your niche with a dazzling spark that attracts readers. The spark? Creativity.

Creativity can be defined by a great many things. Some will say creativity is originality, idea generation, critical thinking, and even bravery. When we peel back the many layers of creativity, we are left with the heart: originality.

Originality can be intimidating. Many Expert Authors may feel as though they’re attempting to find another piece of land to stake as their own, but everything has already been identified or claimed. So, how do you incorporate originality into content when A, B, and C has already been claimed?

You write what you know to ensure 100% authenticity and originality. Writing what you know is about unlocking your experiences, adding a personal twist, and creating something new that holds great value to others. Your audience still demands A, B, and C, but you need to light the way – you need a spark. Your contribution to your niche (your experience, insights, examples, scenarios, etc.) adds an ingenious spark to your content to light the way for readers.

If you’re thinking: “Hold up! What if I don’t have many experiences or insights to write what I know?”

What you know isn’t limited to a play-by-play of situations you’ve encountered. You can discover and apply what you know by considering the following during your brainstorming sessions:

• Resources: What resources or information do you already have on the topic? Having knowledge or first-hand experience provides your articles with a solid foundation.

• Critical Thinking: What are your own assumptions (past and present) as well as your audience’s and your peers’ assumptions on the topic? Considering assumptions by proving/disproving them helps you break away from the norm and assess the topic in a new light.

• Imagination: What new ideas form regarding this topic (e.g. solutions, growth, etc.)? Your creativity to build up from the foundation sets you apart from other experts in your niche.

• Response: What is your emotional response to the topic (e.g. desire, happiness, anxiety, etc.)? Recognizing and conveying your response helps you be sensitive to how readers approach your topic as well as builds trust.

Reap the many benefits of creativity and originality by writing what you know. In doing so, you will provide 100% original content and strengthen your platform as a leading expert. In turn, you will cultivate trust and foster loyalty with your audience, which will build exposure to you, your message, and your brand.

Uschi Wilson writes:

Great advise, thank you Penny! I write straight from the heart…it’s the best place to connect and project. Have a wonderful week!

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Sound advice! Great foundation upon which to build when writing.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Mary Fournie writes:

Thank you Penny. It is true that being your unique self, you know your subject in ways that others have not considered. People are constantly searching for new insights.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Jana Lombardi writes:

Such perfect timing! Last week, I took a whole new approach to our newsletter and wrote from the heart–we got more responses to that email than for all newsletters combined in the past year or two. Love all the advice I get here on the blog. Thank you!

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

RCONNORIII writes:

Great article that pretty much says it all-your own content is king. Have a great day on purpose!

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Gerald Ralston writes:

I am Gerald Ralston expert in the entertainment industry,have been in it since age 17,will be celebrating my 71 birthday on the 17th of this month.
I am also Willy Orbison singer songwriter,in todays time. Your post today has really opened my eyes to all that I know,and have been sharing freely on site like You Tube ,Break etc.
I see how other have now taken my post and made them a part of theirs . Due to what you have posted ,as of today I am going to look for a way to change my videos and audios , so I can post them on my own websites. I now have 20 domains,but just realized i have a lot of creativity to share to the world.
Thank you for opening my eyes and getting this sound advice.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Shafee Ahmed Ko writes:

Mr.Gerald,Greetings. Hats off to you. I’m amazed to read your small piece of note. I do admire saying “Bravo” for your honesty in accepting what you say about creativity and originality. You are right while you lament that some of your works have been plagiarized. Sometimes we have to excuse others if it is excusable, and if not we have to feel happy how great we are, because some thing of ours is stolen that is obviously precious.

Peter Weston writes:

Great though provoking advice Penny. Creativity is the corner stone of marketing and originality the key that unlocks the prize. Thanks for your insight.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Commerce writes:

Articles with great contents are not only loved by search engines but these are the articles that real humans love the most.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Chris Downs writes:

Great Advice,
I have been placing original content on our website since I began.

we have over 50 years of experience, and continue to learn everyday. I love writing articles that make a difference in peoples lives rather than just get some attention from a computer program.

Thank you!

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Mel Jackson writes:

Good advice Penny. I am currently struggling with an article and have overlooied my direct experience and creativity. Thanks for your insight.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

This is a very relevant post. I’d like to see a series of such posts really diving into the overall aspects of creativity, creative flow, and how to apply it to writing articles by tying in endless examples, perhaps from other writers as case studies. This way all EzineArticles authors can see it. For instance; Larry and Mary run an insurance brokerage business and a customer comes in and asks to insure their desert turtle because it is going to be in a Gieko commercial with a lizard – then how Larry and Mary might customize some articles about unique insurance lines and why you need insurance.

And I bet no one ever wrote an article about that, and certainly not using the desert turtle as an example. Entertaining, original, and tied into their insurance business sector.

The funny thing is I often write articles like this, no not about turtles mind you, but unique and interesting things and then use them as examples, yet keep them meaningful to tell a story, lesson, or make people think.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Frank Slovenec writes:

Very good topic and nicely written. It is good to be reminded of the truths of creative writing. Thank you for taking the time.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Refat writes:

It was really amazing to learn something from someone expert like you, Penny. However, I have a question to you, if I am asked to write on a subject that I haven’t experienced yet, how do I do that? I would be thankful to you if you kindly say some words about this case.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Refat –

Penny asked that I reply to your question. The best advice I can give is to narrow the focus of your topic and research, research, research. The narrowed focus will help you define exactly what you’re looking for and dedicated research will aid you in developing an article that is both informative and somewhat authoritative.

– Marc

Miracle Uchime writes:

Thanks for that advice.
I am trying to write in a creative way and to be honest i am finding it very difficult but with your tips, i think it would be much more easier for me now to be creative in my own way so thanks a lot.

Comment provided June 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Hui Suan writes:

Thanks for the great article! Definitely one I will keep and look at when I need inspiration for creativity.

I think each of us has our own viewpoints, and how they differ depends on our experience. i think writing about whether you agree or disagree with someone is definitely a way to write original content because it’s about what YOU believe.

Comment provided June 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Keith Millar writes:

Penny

Great reassuring advice. Many thanks

Comment provided June 12, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Rachel Duhon writes:

This was a great article. I wrote your major points down to look over later. I think a lot of writers need encouragement and that’s exactly what this article provided. Inspiration, creativity, and response…let’s see what the future holds.

Comment provided June 12, 2012 at 5:20 AM

opal writes:

Gerald, when we become “more mature” like we have, we have many experiences. I have just passed my 87th birthday and am living with cancer now for nearly two years. My first article was about that experience, No one else could bring that information to an article. I have also been in the entertainment business on a much smaller plane than you have been because I was busy with a job, husband and family and it was not until I was 60 that I began my singing and speaking. I spent nearly three years in the Army of Occupation in Germany after WWII. I am the only one who could write an article about that. I guess what I am trying to say here is that when we mature, we have many niches, but I haven’t figured out how to adapt all that experience into articles that will be interesting to others. My best wishes for your success – we never get too old to learn. I believe strongly in continuing education.

Comment provided June 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Derry writes:

Penny

Nice post! Your article really comes in time.

Comment provided June 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Samson Akintunde writes:

Creativity, i believe also means turning existing things around. Creativity can make an old song become new. It can cause a thing to be more appreciated and bring a touch of class to thing. Surely, with creativity, you make the difference in your world.

Comment provided June 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Vonita Brown writes:

I concur when it comes to writing what you know. Sometimes I also have to get out of my own head. There’s a tendency to hold back because we all want to be accepted. So be authentic and just be you because nobody can beat you at being you.

Comment provided June 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Writing about what you know well is a partial cure for writer’s block. If you’re passionate about a certain topic and inspiration just comes to you, there’s a good chance that you could write on and on without interruption… each and every day. This is why I tackle niches that I am extremely knowledgeable about. Great post.

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

gerald ralston writes:

well it was a great trill to see the response from two people
Hats off to Shafee and opal , who shared some real valuable information to me as I stated above that I have been in Entertainment Business for about 50 years. In that time creativity was my main source of income. Being a songwriter is a talent but over the years , creativity was great but I was not blessed in Business. I wrote many hit songs one was “I like that Girl: Gerry and Leslie released on Hush Records. Today the record is for sale since the 1967 year I recorded it but go no royalties
so remember that is why it’s called the music business gerald ralston aka willy orbison

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM