Write Relevant Free-Standing Articles

Pack a Powerful Informative Punch

Free-standing articles have the power to amplify your exposure without being cumbersome or inconvenient to readers and publishers.

Each free-standing article strengthens your article portfolio because it is accessible, convenient, and relevant, as well as packs a powerful informative punch. Readers (and publishers) should feel satisfied the article and the author have met their expectations without irrelevant baggage. When their expectations have been met, they will want more and will return for more.

Article Parts vs. Free-Standing

The key to writing free-standing articles is in your article’s title, i.e. the promise you make to your readers that builds expectation. Don’t promise parts, sequels, etc. Promise specific information and deliver. Let’s take a closer look:

In the blog post How to Get 10 Articles From 1 Idea, we listed 10 angles to write 10 articles. We could turn this into an article set and write 10 articles discussing the various angles in greater depth. Consider the difference of article parts vs. free-standing articles if we were to expand each angle into its own article:

How to Get 10 Articles From 1 Idea Part 9
Not Free-Standing

Here’s why this doesn’t work: Where are parts 1-8 and part 10? Should you start at the beginning (part 1) and then move up or just continue on to part 10 and backtrack later? Has part 10 even been published yet? This situation is a bad user experience and makes the content inaccessible to the reader. Please note, this also applies to Roman numerals, e.g. How to Get 10 Articles From 1 Idea IX.

How to Get 10 Articles From 1 Idea: Comparative
Not Free-Standing

Here’s why this doesn’t work: As a reader, you expect 10 article ideas to be presented in this article. However, you only find one topic, the comparative article writing style, which is not the information you were searching for. The article lacks relevance to you and you move on. This situation is inconvenient for readers and publishers because they only want content that is relevant to them. Anything else is a poor user experience.

How to Write an Article Using a Comparative Writing Style
Free-Standing

Bingo! This article is free-standing because as a reader, you know exactly what is going to be delivered in this article and you can determine its relevance to you right away. The information is accessible because you don’t have to look for various parts and it conveniently presents all of the information to you.

There you have it! Write relevant, convenient, and accessible free-standing articles that meet your reader’s expectations. By providing so much benefit in one article, the reader will seek out more articles written by you.

Commerce writes:

There are some articles where the title signifies some other meaning and the content of the story tells some different meaning. No one likes those articles/stories. That’s right!

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Mark Demers writes:

This sounds like the drill down in to an article and find another article type thing.
I`ve been rethinking my ways I write articles and am now looking for specific topics to write about. Instead of writing about say Registry Cleaners I am now trying to focus on one aspect of registry cleaners. It`s a little harder writing 400 words sometimes but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Thanks

Have a great day.

Mark D.

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Ludwik Kowalski writes:

Mark wrote: “… I write articles and am now looking for specific topics to write about. I write articles and am now looking for specific topics to write about.”

That is not how I work. Topics are usually known to me. The problem is why to write and for whom to write.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Howard Dion writes:

Personally, I appreciate the commentary. From my perspective the content made me stop and think and evaluate what I do when I write articles.

Best Regards, Howard

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

tercume writes:

The title and the content of an article should match, otherwise it wont get expected reads.

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

bob marconi writes:

Thanks for the info.

One thing I am curios about is hoe to insure a given article is ‘evergreen. especially when wp adds a date to your past/article?

Articles on your blog may be a mix of evergreen/non-evergreen, but with wp assigning a date how do you differentiate?

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Casey Stubbs writes:

You dont have to allow wordpress to print the date, you can control that in the settings. And you are right printing the date can have a negative effect sometimes because readers dont like reading older material.

I personally post some with the date and some with out the date on it.

Bob –

Unfortunately, we cannot control WordPress. If you add a date to the top of your article it DOES reduce the evergreen nature of your articles somewhat – but I believe you can remove this feature by changing your settings. On our site there is also a date stamp, but it is not very obvious (it’s at the very bottom of the page). Bear in mind that your articles, if written properly, can stay evergreen for a long time even with a date stamp.

– Marc

I’d like to amplify what’s been stated in this post for a couple of reasons. First, I have created many “parts” type articles in the past, and often you will need them again for something else, then you have to put them all back together again. Second, publications, electronic magazines, email newsletter editors are not as likely to pick them up, thus, you lose that synergy as well. Don’t let your articles become “memorialized” rather break them apart by sub-topics for stand alone, then they appear to be a series of articles – and can stand on their own without the rest in the series. Seriously, you need to be thinking here, stand alones work – “articles in parts” – not so well.

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Joseph,

Well, hopefully I can break this down for you. You see, many people write articles that are quite long on a subject, perhaps 1,500 to 6,000 words, then since they can’t post the 6,000 word article, they will break it into parts – part I, part II, and part III. Unfortunately, someone finds part III and comes to the article from the search engine, then cannot find parts I and II. Worse, they find part I and then can’t find part II and III.

They wanted to learn about the topic and now they are completely frustrated and cannot find the rest. So, the better way to play this is to take a large subject that you might be able to write 2,500 to 10,000 words on and break the subject into smaller articles on sub-topics each of 450 to 750 words, about the maximum this generation of internet users really cares to read anyway.

I hope this explains it better. If you’d like to talk further about this or any other topic about article writing or anything in the world, shoot me an email; Lance AT carwashguys (dot) com.

Comment provided May 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

“How to Get 10 Articles From 1 Idea: Comparative”

“How to Write an Article Using a Comparative Writing Style”

What escaped my comprehension was the word Comparative in your sub-headings (above).

Does the word have separate meanings?

Comment provided May 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Joseph –

You may want to reread the article – I believe you have misunderstood its intent. Those subheadings are simply meant to serve as examples for free-standing and non-free-standing articles. In the first example you give, that title would be for an article that is one in a series of ten and could not be a free-standing article. The second example doesn’t indicate a series and therefore COULD be a free-standing article.

I hope that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

– Marc

William writes:

I have written articles that have reached the 1500 word mark and decided to break the content up and use them as different article.
I never used part 1 and 2, I always created a title that reflected that specific topic of the article.

Comment provided May 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Om Thoke writes:

Writing a series of articles on a topic is another great way to build readership – once your target audience starts liking a series, you’re almost assured of huge fan following for rest of the posts in that series!

Comment provided June 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Nanya writes:

Article title suggestions provided by EzineArticles’ tool don’t always work great for me, so I always go to Google Adwords to find hot topics that are trending these days, and then come to EzineArticles.

But, yeah once you get a good topic, you can write dozens of articles, and even publish them in form of series

Comment provided June 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Ward Mand writes:

I agree with tercume title and the content should match because a researcher is looking for reliable information not advertisements or unreliable information that has nothing to do with his/her researches and definitely consume most of their time looking for the right article that can supplement them reliable information.

Comment provided June 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Webfosys writes:

Well actually if you remove the time-stamp from WordPress by editing the single.php file, you may be able to rank for longer duration for evergreen KWs but for the time-sensitive topics, you may have an adverse impact. So, instead of doing so, you can re-publish your older posts after 1 yr with newer time-stamp, bookmark on few sites, and share it on social media to preserve its evergreen nature.

Hope that helps! :)

Comment provided June 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

I’ve never tried sequel articles before, but its something that i will definitely look into.

Comment provided September 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Main Uddin writes:

Every professional blogger and author want to become success in respective field of writing but a few know the real fact .

Comment provided September 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Free standing articles are great but don’t write trite crap to sell BS trinkets online and think that will suffice, it won’t. Don’t cheat your reader with shallow content, and expect kudos, or social networking “pluses” or likes. If you have no knowledge of a topic, study up, or shut up. Don’t fake it, it’s just wasting people’s time.

Comment provided October 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM