From My Desk to Yours – 36th Edition

WHERE DO YOU DRAFT YOUR ARTICLES?
By: Penny, EzineArticles Managing Editor

Welcome back, or simply welcome, to From My Desk to Yours. In this series, we address common Expert Author obstacles and provide stellar success strategies, tips to getting your article approved, updates to the Editorial Guidelines, and more.

Your feedback and suggestions are important to our growth and innovation and are the defining aspect of the EzineArticles platform.

This brings us to our topic today: The Body of the Submit New Article form on the new My.EzineArticles.com member interface.

We have studied data, tested new tools, pored over your comments, and much more to make the Submit New Article form easier, faster, and smarter than ever.

Now we need a little more specific input as we launch into another phase of improving the Submit New Article form on My.EzineArticles.com:

Where do you initially draft your articles prior to submission?

Do you:

a. Type your articles directly into the submission form.
b. Copy/paste the article from Microsoft Word into the submission form.
c. Copy/paste the article from a Plain Text editor into the submission form.
d. Submit articles using the EzineArticles WordPress Plugin.
e. Copy/paste the article from your blog or website.
f. Other (please specify).

As always, we welcome your comments and contributions! Please feel free to provide your answer and any other feedback in the comments section below.

Andy writes:

I always copy and paste from a plain text editor. Text seems to copy over better that way.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Andy writes:

I always Copy/paste the article from a Plain Text editor into the submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

John writes:

Usually I use option:
b. Copy/paste the article from Microsoft Word into the submission form.

However, writing my article directly into submission form is my second priority.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Emily writes:

I create in Open Office, never got the hang of Microsoft Word. Never draft or outline. Get an idea, in comes the Muse, I type it out despite whatever distractions there are. I can go back to it.
Sometimes it takes on a life of its own and I end up writing something I had not thought of in advance.

I go away, come back to read and proofread it.
I submit by pasting it in. That was extremely frustrating because of what I called the Yellow Box Monster, and some other experiences regarding submitting articles. See, I write as a creative exercise, not to sell something. And I am very skilled at writing.

Eventually, I realized that I was writing on a serious subject that was not respected, that was shunted into ‘Arts and Entertainment,’ that that was why my chicken soup recipe outdid all my contributions on consciousness and how Tarot functions.

I also noticed that, despite all the nitpicking quibbles from the editors to my writing, the articles they commonly published were extremely low quality, even illiterate. So I let it be known that if you don’t accept something I submit, forget about it.

Someone told me this site is a way to validate the copyright to our articles, so some day I will gather them up (published at Self Growth) and put them all here. I dread the experience.

Most of the writing I do now is on my blog, more than five hours a day. Someday I will repurpose that material. Have to streamline the process first, though. It’s not the writing that takes all that time, it’s the process the subject necessitates.

Since I am cyber-ignorant, the process is daunting to me. Like, the urls have to be changed. You wrote me about it. I had hired someone to update them, she said she did, and she didn’t. I tried. It still isn’t done. Oh, well.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Kenneth Watson writes:

I use option a, typing directly into the submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Merle writes:

I always copy and paste from a word document as I am always changing bits and pieces !!

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

I’ve always created my articles right in the submission form. Then I use them elsewhere from there…easy and efficient.

~ Jeff

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Jeff,

Where else do you use your articles after you have posted them here?

-Vince

Vincent –

The articles posted on our site are not used in any other way by us. They may, however, be picked up by ezine publishers and used in their ezines or newsletters. This is a benefit for you since it increase your exposure, credibility and traffic back to your website.

– Marc

This is assuming that they are keeping the resource box also, am I correct? Otherwise, what can you do about it if your writing has been stolen?

Vincent –

You are correct, the Resource Box should be kept intact.

In instances where it’s not, the first course of action we recommend is that you contact the owner/webmaster of the site and ask them to fix the oversight.

This will normally accomplish the end result you are looking for as most webmasters just need to be informed.

If after you contact them and no action has been taken within 48 hours, contact the site’s ISP/Host and ask them to enforce their AUP (Acceptable Use Policy). This information can usually be found by doing a WHOIS lookup on the domain name.

We expect publisher(s) to follow our reprint rules as stated in our Terms of Service: http://EzineArticles.com/terms-of-service.html

However, it is up to you to take action against those who abuse your copyright to protect your interests.

Please see our author terms for more on this:

– Marc

Marc,

Thank you for the detailed follow up. I have not yet seen any of my articles illegally stolen, but will make sure to keep an eye out. I am sure that most members here have the respect for other authors such as themselves to make sure to use the content correctly. It is more the Black Hat SEO people that I am worried about possibly stealing content and reusing it as their own. At least now I will have a plan of action against this kind of behavior.

-Vince

Raven Cohan writes:

A comment above makes me think I have an ally in Emily and wonder if she is doing the latest Word. That has cracked my skull open hoping to make sense of it. I didn’t need assistance with previous versions of Word. I got the official guide to it in the library that comes with videos and all and I still barely can touch it without running into one problem after the other. But all my old writings came up on the new computer and when I edit there… whammo, I run into one challenge after another.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Emily writes:

Raven,
I had just bought a computer, figured out how to … turn it on, ya know? … and took on that program. As I recall, it had tiny damn little buttons you had to figure out, and then there were so many you lost track of them. I think. That was in ’09 or earlier.
Open Office is free. Open Office is intuitive … as in, even I could jump in and use it.
It’s free and it’s better … my opinion.
Emily

Elena writes:

I copy and past from Microsoft Word to submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

As of today I will type on one computer. Work on the article. If I can’t get it done I will be able to come back the next day and it will be right where I can Find it.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Phil Grisolia writes:

Copy and paste from MSWord. It’s a piece of cake, really it is. Then the articles continue to exist in a form and format that can be adapted to all kinds of other uses, from POD to publishing an ebook.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Emily writes:

And P. S., Raven:
Open Office has a ‘Send as’ all kinds of things, including Microsoft Word. I have used it exclusively for years now, sending articles and other documents, and that works.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Heidi Vincent writes:

I usually type up and edit my article in a word document and the Copy/paste the article from Microsoft Word into the submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I have usually created articles directly in the submission form. However, in the past, there were times when the article somehow got deleted because of some glitch. That seems to have been fixed so that even if for some reason I have to leave the page, the article is saved as a draft.
By going directly into the submission form it saves me time.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Samuel Bani Dauda writes:

I always copy and paste from microsoft word to submission form.
Thanks

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I too, write my articles in Microsoft Word, then copy and paste into the submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Matt writes:

I prefer to copy/paste from a Word Document.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Dawn Alice writes:

I write my articles in Microsoft Word and to date have only submitted the one article. I would think that to copy from your blog would be double-dipping. As I build my reader audience, I would hope they enjoy a variety of articles and not be subjected to reading the same content over and over.
Thank you to the EzineArticles team for providing a great service for authors.

Dawn Alice

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Edmond Ng writes:

I usually work on my draft article in MS Word before I copy/paste the article to a Plain Text editor (Notepad), and then into the submission form.

Comment provided May 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Michelle writes:

I use a text editor called Keynote (free) as it has a tree structure and makes it very easy to group articles by topic or publication. The organisation of blog posts, articles and topics is one of my biggest challenges.

I paste into the submission form from Keynote.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Britt Malka writes:

C: I use a plain text editor called TextWrangler.

When I finished writing, I run it through WhiteSmoke (copy/paste) and paste it back into TextWrangler again.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Stanfod Tuition writes:

Hey. Copy then paste the article from Microsoft Word into the submission form. Reason: I am always changing bits and pieces.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Marc Mays writes:

When I first started out, I tried the copy and paste method from a plain text editor (option c). Eventually, I figured out it is just as quick to type the articles directly into the submission form (option a), so that is now the method I prefer.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Raven Cohan writes:

Thanks to Emily. It might be well worth getting myself a copy of the Open Office. I certainly never heard of it.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I have been typing my articles in the submission box. Because I do not link or use any HTML in the actual body, there really is no need to type it anywhere else. There is a built in spell checker, so that is really all that I need.

If it happens that the EzineArticles editor is missing a feature in the future, I would consider using other software that made up for it.

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM

nasser deeb writes:

I write into MS word and copy into the submission box . then sometimes I do some re-editing in the submission form and copy the whole thing back to MS worf where I save it for reference.

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM

A little of all of the following: I write my articles in the submission box, or copy/paste from Open Office or MS Word.

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Margaret Heaps writes:

I usually copy and paste from Word, but I have also
copied and pasted from my blog. This does not work as well because my blog usually has pictures attached to it.

Comment provided May 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Carl Paul Jochim II writes:

I copy and paste from Text Formatter Plus. I have found that utilizing this method works quite well and this tool is much easier to use than word.

Comment provided May 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Bob Marconi writes:

I use ‘c’ and ‘d’…

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I just used the new article submission form and do not find it user friendly.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Mary Catherine –

Thanks for the input! I’m sorry to hear that it wasn’t a good experience for you. Would you be willing to share the details of what made it not user friendly? It would help us greatly in improving the form.

– Marc

I have changed from using two computers to using Microsoft word. That gives me a permanent record and I don’t loose any of my work. It helps to have a computer literate wife

Comment provided May 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Chris Cree writes:

I noticed on the WordPress plugin that it hasn’t been updated in about a year. It is only showing compatibility with version 3.2.1 and WordPress version 3.4 will be released in a few days.

It would be a good idea to have your developers review and update the plugin to ensure it maintains forward compatibility.

Comment provided June 8, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Chris –

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll pass this on to our development team just to make sure they’re on top of it.

– Marc

Opal writes:

I see no reason to retype when the submission form is so easy and simple (even for me). When I do a lot of research for an article, I write it out in longhand and then put it on the submission form. I was writing before computers so longhand allows me to think through an article. But I am doing more of them now on the submission form. I like it. And my article list is always there.

Comment provided June 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I have bee browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth ebough for me. In my opinion, if
all webmasters andd bloggers made goold content
as you did, the net wil be mjch more useful than ever before.

Comment provided June 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Raven Cohan writes:

Well since people are still writing on this thread,(years later than when it was originated, I just want to comment that I did learn the Word 10 that had me so blue and frustrated. Just kept at it! Thanks always for support from all. Best to you on your path… (I call the path TAO…) Raven Cohan

Comment provided August 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM