Make Writing Easy with Prewriting

Be Prepared to Pack Value in Your Articles

Successful articles are a combination of your expertise and creativity. Many Expert Authors attempt to save time by skipping creativity altogether. The effect can be likened to packing for a trip to Antarctica at the last minute. Without the necessary equipment and supplies to withstand the South Pole’s temperatures, you may just end up blindly packing anything and missing critical items.

Creating checklists (e.g. what to pack to stay warm) or brainstorming potential scenarios you may encounter (e.g. penguin photography) will help ensure not only your survival, but a good experience too!

Checklists, outlines, brainstorming, etc. all connect to an often overlooked practice known as prewriting.

Prewriting occurs before writing, proofreading, and editing. When done effectively, prewriting makes writing so easy – all you have to do is add a little polish here and a transition there and voila! Your article is ready for submission.

Here’s a great prewriting exercise to build your article writing momentum and infuse your creativity into your next set of quality original articles.

1. TARGET

Always consider your audience. Write down the answers to the following questions and post it near your writing space where you can easily refer to it:

• Who’s your target audience?
  • What are the demographics of your audience?
  • What do they do?
  • What are their needs and their wants?
  • What do they already know about your niche?
  • What about your niche is their perception skewed in?
  • What characteristics or goals do you have in common with your audience?

Tip: Identifying your target will go a long way in ensuring you meet your audience’s needs and write for their benefit, which means more traffic to your blog or website.

2. FOCUS

What’s your next idea? Narrow the topic you would like to tackle next. If it’s a fairly broad topic, attempt to break it into a series of topics and save those for later. A good measure to determine if your topic is too broad is whether you can describe it in one or two words. For instance, a topic such as “quitting smoking” is way too broad. However, “determining age as factor in selecting a smoking cessation method” is much more focused.

Tip: Narrow broad topics or brainstorm ideas by considering the angle with which you approach the topic (click here for 10 angles), as well as with keyword research.

3. GATHERING and RESEARCH

Begin jotting down what you already know about your focused topic and then research any fuzzy areas. Use relevance to your article topic as your guide to ensure you don’t include superfluous information.

Tip: During the gathering phase, consider posing simple who, what, where, when, why, and how questions against your focused topic to help unlock information.

4. OUTLINE

Create an outline including all of the core details or logic of your article topic. From your outline you can easily add transitions and polish, and voila – an article!

Tip: Outlines are amazingly simple using article templates (try our article templates by clicking here).

Rather than stuffing your article at the last minute, get organized and create an environment that increases your productivity. Try this prewriting exercise today!

Want more prewriting exercises? Let us know in the comments section below!

Terry Weber writes:

Before all of those prep actions writers must actually do, remember to THINK (for at least one solid hour) before doing or writing anything. Result will be writing that is easy and – well done.
Terry

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I totally agree with Terry Weber.

Donald Coles writes:

Re: Terry
I keep a diary of my thoughts, dreams and reflections. Also, I write letters in my diary; that may never get sent. I date everything and give it a title. Then I can go back to year 2005 and see where I was …..I am very concerned about the future and thinking ‘what is my next move’. All of the above makes me a better writing.

Maggie Pimm writes:

I really like this idea, and I think I should follow your lead. It guess, it help recognise our thoughts, verify and consolidate them. I like that you mention reflections. If we do not put them on paper, we may not come to the same conclusion again or even we would not know how we were thinking in that moment. Also I noticed, when I have sometimes fleeting thoughts – if I do not capture them on paper they are gone. This is a good idea :-)

Andrew Treantos writes:

Thanks or the writing tips.
1. Target
2. Focus
3. Research
4. Outline
I can use all the help I can get :)

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Terry Weber writes:

All good writing is the direct result of: Think first and write later. As a young writer my boss ordered me to
stop typing, put my feet up on my desk, look out the window and think about the writing assignment he’d given me. He said I should do that until an hour before quitting time for the day. Then,he said, go ahead and write and I’m sure I’ll approve the article you then hand to me. Always: think first and write later.

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Samuel Bani Dauda writes:

Your prewriting tips are well understood, and I quite agree with you that one need to adequately prepare and think before writing. I think that is the key to being focus.
Thanks for this stuff.

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Linda writes:

Good evening!

Having a structure – or I prefer to think of it as a formula – also helps immensely. With a basic framework, creating fancier stuff becomes so much easier and quicker.

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

I like the “GATHERING and RESEARCH” part of this blog post. I’m the type of person who can take 1 single idea and turn it into a high quality 500+ word article within 20 minutes.

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sergio Felix writes:

Well I’m in the blogging and technology areas so I normally focus on explaining things in a very fool proof way.

But I’ve never taken age into consideration, this might actually change a few things around for me.

Thanks for the tips!

Sergio

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Paul Chew writes:

Note down with Checklists, Outlines and Brainstorming.
Thank-you for the writing tips.
1. Aim the objective
2. Focus
3. Research and Brainstorming
4. Outlines the details
5. Start to write
This is of great help. Thanks :))

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Sarah Wambua writes:

Thanks for the information. I totally agree with you; these tips will balance an article. excellent guide line.

Sara

Comment provided April 24, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Kay Bauer writes:

A very through article. I have found that a lot of the suggestions I have read on EzineArticles help me think a lot harder as my niche is a very hard one to come up with new articles but I will prevail….

Comment provided April 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Randine writes:

I totally agree… often I plan in my head for days before actually getting an outline down on paper.

Before that even though, it is research, reading and listening, and experiencing whatever I am going to write about occurs.

In order to write quality content you have to have solid working knowledge of whatever your topic is.

That is what I love about article writing and blogging – you get to be a lifelong learner ;)

Comment provided April 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Filipo writes:

Am just check in the EzineArticles, this advices I will follow, that’s for sure.

Comment provided April 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I sometimes gather bits of information from different sources and then think first about how I want to pull it all together. Thanks for the valuable tips.

Comment provided April 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Kristi Langerak writes:

I would appreciate more prewriting articles. Please keep sending out your ideas.

Comment provided April 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Kay Bauer writes:

I totally agree with this article and have found doing so helps me to correct most flaws before sending my article out to be published. This way I can read and re-read it first.

Comment provided May 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Firman Asyhari writes:

writers have to make a draft text for the story line is not out of topic

Comment provided May 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Terry Weber writes:

A good writer can take one word and make a complete story out of it.
Terry Weber

Comment provided May 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Video transcription writes:

Really impressive post…I fully agree with you that one need to adequately prepare and think before writing.Thanks for the information..

Comment provided May 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Terry Weber writes:

If it is not written on paper, it does not exist.

Comment provided October 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM