Monetize Your Article Writing Efforts

Improve Your Strategy to Increase Your ROI

If you’re like most Expert Authors, your primary motivation behind writing articles is to market your product or service… and inevitably make money.

Articles are a fabulous way to share your expertise with the world while also sending interested readers to your landing page via your Resource Box. Once on your landing page, readers become potential customers and those customers are the essential element to selling your product or service. In the end, more customers equals more money.

The key to successfully marketing your product or service through articles is to optimize your article writing strategy. When you write articles you’re investing a lot of time and effort into the process. It only makes sense to maximize your ROI (Return on Investment). By focusing on the quality of your articles and strategy, you can increase your ROI and more successfully monetize your article writing efforts.

Increasing the ROI from your article writing efforts is as simple as increasing your value, your efficiency, and your effectiveness. The best place to start is to first…

Embrace Your Passion

Become a passionate, dedicated expert in your niche, i.e. love what you do. As an author, your passion (or lack thereof) speaks volumes about who you are, what goods or services you provide, and more. If you are dispassionate about your niche, find something about it that makes you passionate or find a new niche that excites you. Bottom-line: Live it up, write about it, and enjoy the benefits.

Once you’ve found your passion, it’s important to give it direction. Try these 5 monetization solutions to give your passion direction and get on the fast track to increasing your ROI and becoming more efficient and effective in your article writing efforts.

5 Monetization Solutions

1. Build Your Article Library

A sizable volume of quality articles will increase your reach and provide the needed foundation for your platform. The reality is that more high-quality articles means more readers. More readers and higher quality means more clicks. More clicks means more potential sales.

Three important keys to increasing the number and quality of articles in your library:

• Target the word count of your articles between 400-700 words.
  • Write and publish routinely to preserve your connection with readers and publishers.
  • Above all, maintain the quality of your articles!

2. Optimize Your Resource Box

Ensure the Resource Boxes in your articles stand out, i.e. it’s relevant to your article’s topic, but it’s not a continuation of the article itself. By clearly delineating your quality article from the Resource Box, you create a bridge of trust for your reader. The reader is then compelled to move forward, which in turn draws attention to you, your message, and your call-to-action.

3. Sing Your Expertise from the Hills

You’re a spectacular, passionate Expert Author! Share it by asserting your expertise and credibility by increasing your visibility:

• Provide a link to your Expert Author page in your email signature.
  • Comment on popular blogs with a relevant link back to your articles.
  • Announce newly published articles on social networking sites.
  • Post discussions and comment in forums relative to your niche with link back to a relative article.

Marketing 101 tells us that the more positive exposure we generate for our brand, the better. So get your name out there!

4. Keep Your Readers Up-to-Date

Maintain a content-rich portion of your site that is routinely updated for recent news and activity in the form of archived newsletters. Think of your newsletter as a communal bulletin board for your readers by “pinning” summaries of your articles, updates of your niche, etc. Develop squeeze pages with your most recent newsletter (i.e. a landing page visitors can opt-in with their email addresses) and link to it in your articles to build your list of subscribers. Remember, people are more apt to buy from somebody they know and trust, so help your readers get to know you by providing a constant stream of high-value, useful information.

5. Build Your Platform with Multimedia

Readers and visitors like options! Open yourself up to new avenues of informational products by repurposing your articles into products you can sell like ebooks, how-to videos, podcasts, webinars, and much more. Create an easy-to-navigate landing page as a point of entry into your website that houses your most recent multimedia products. Provide a link in the Resource Box of recent articles to the landing page to invite readers in and stick around.

Implement one or all of these solutions into your article writing efforts! You will find over time that your ROI will increase and your article writing efforts will consistently provide the first touch-point for your next customer or client.

BABATUNDE RAJI writes:

This is an analitical insight that any aspiring online entrepreneur should go through and make the positive use of it. It’s brief and rich enough to improve one’s greatness online.

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Nick Wright writes:

One issue you forgot to mention is to write in clear English. So many articles don’t. Your article was clear but some sentences needed editing. Here are two:

Original:

Redraft:
Focus on the quality of your articles. You’ll soon earn more money from every article you write.

Original:

Redraft without the jargon:
Turn your articles and ideas into different products. Sell them as ebooks, how-to videos, podcasts or webinars.

Nick Wright

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Nick –

Thanks for the input – your changes really do streamline those two sentences.

The second example is a definite improvement, though I’d be concerned that it does change the meaning slightly.

The first one, however, changes the meaning of that sentence fairly drastically. We try to never suggest that an author could “earn more money from every article you write.” Unfortunately, there are too many variables at play to make a statement like that. We also want to speak to improving the quality of the strategy behind the article writing process.

– Marc

Well, if I provide a link to my Expert Author page in my email signature, then my potential customers will get all information for free.

And if they get all the information for free, then why will they want to buy from me?

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

If done properly, linking to your Expert Author page in your emails should not divulge all of the information contained in your informational products. If this is the case for you, then you may be giving too much away in your articles. Your articles should provide useful information, but still leave enough “mystery” to compel readers to visit your website and invest in your product(s). Re-purposing articles into informational products is a great idea, but you also want to include fresh information that your customers can’t get anywhere else.

– Marc

The concept of taking articles and turning them into scripts for videos is a wonderful concept, I’ve been considering this since I am a much better speaker than wrtier. Apparently, from what I am told this is easy to do. I’ve noticed many folks at EzineArticles have 100s of quality articles now in their inventory, so, it sure makes sense to that.

Thanks Penny, I think I’ve found the motivation now to finally start on such a project, great post.

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I already did this with my articles on photo lighting and others. I got grief from you for pointing the EzineArticles at the videos as though they were the same. It isn’t the same even if the word are the same. But that argument didn’t work before and I’m not trying to get it to work now. However you should consider the idea that enriching a product produces a new product. I’ve also turned my Photographic And Video Lighting articles into a booklet that’s for sale at Smashwords. It’s also available for free simply for subscribing to my site so it serves two purposes for me.
Thanks for this article.

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Robyn Walter writes:

Great post Penny
I have been reluctant to go down the video route but realise multimedia is the way to go – time to get motivated!

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Raven Cohan writes:

This seems to be a world where it is more challenging to get paid for being in any of the arts, be it writing, singing, dancing, art itself… (NOT that the world for artists has ever been easy,) but now so much is on the internet. If you want to put your ‘stuff’ on it you need to get paid by having a website that wants to put an ad on a big fancy website that attracts millions. Or you have to put it on another website. And how do you know the numbers that are coming to see these websites. Personally, I am glad I don’t have to compete much any more, as my spring has turned to summer! But I still am curious!

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Raven, boy, I was just having this same conversation yesterday at Starbucks with a photographer and his challenges running his business. It’s been tough on him, and he is an UNBELIEVABLY talented photographer, he basically said in so many words exactly what you are saying here.

Joseph Dabon writes:

How simple it looks. It’s kind of looking at the top of the Everest and thinking how easy it is to reach the top.

Anyway, this brighten my day.

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

A famous climber once said to me at golf club house near Jacksonville; “Height has nothing to do with it, it is your strength that counts,” so first you set out your plan of attack, take it one step at a time, and then you refuse to give up. Somewhere along that journey will discover something about yourself that few ever do. Article writing and business is much the same I suppose. I wonder how I know that.

I have been trying to get into the whole video thing…it can be somewhat intimidating! This article has helped me realize I have to get over that and learn how to do it. I also liked the “don’t give too much away in your article” angle. It’s something I think I do too much and need to cut back on. Always great advice on EzineArticles!

Comment provided March 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Glenn writes:

Always looking for ways to monetize so thanks for the advice…

Comment provided March 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Sam writes:

I haven’t done video production because I’m camera shy. Is it advisable to outsource this to Fiverr?

Comment provided March 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Sam –

Just because you make a video for your niche doesn’t mean you need to be on camera. Many people script and create videos where they are never seen, only heard. If you’re too shy to cut the audio yourself, you could looked into hiring a voice talent to record the audio for you. That particular service is available on Fiverr … but remember, you get what you pay for. Make certain that the videos you create portray you in a professional manner.

– Marc

Abdul Cholik writes:

I have read many tips about how to produce good articles and I have tried to follow those tips to include many articles from this site. The problems I face is to promote my article to get as many as possible traffic.
Hope I could be able to find certain method to increase traffics by following your tips.

Comment provided March 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Abdul –

Promoting your articles is an extremely important part of the article marketing process. Here are a couple of blog posts that are full of tips on that very topic:

– Marc

Sybal Janssen writes:

Sheila-You can turn your articles into very very nice videos without a camera at all. You can create some very lively Power Point slides containing your words interspersed with nice picutures then use the software called Camtasia to turn your slides into a video. Camtasia allows you to add a soundtrack as well, either your voice reading prepared notes, or a music track, or sound effects. Camtasia is made by a company called TechSmith. It will definitely cost you some bucks, but well worth the investment, and it certainly doesn’t cost more than a video camera.

Comment provided March 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Sybal –

That’s great advice. For those who might be Mac users, there’s a similar program called “Screen Flow” by Telestream that does the exact same thing as “Camtasia” and works beautifully. We use it for many of the videos we produce here at EzineArticles.

– Marc

Saad Naeem writes:

hey , those are great points , easy to understand can you just explain me the third point precisely. Thanks.

-Saad

Comment provided March 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Saad –

This checklist should help you understand the point a little better:

Save Time: A little planning will help you write a quality article in less time and it will help you achieve your goal! This may include generating ideas, scoping out the nooks and crannies of your niche, scheduling your writing time, and preparing an environment to help you focus!

Be an Entrepreneur: Don’t reinvent the wheel! Collaborate with others so you can move on to build bigger and better things.

Exercise Your Skills: Like your body, your knowledge and skill set needs regular exercise to build endurance and use your valuable time effectively. Use these resources to improve your endurance:
– Subscribe to the EzineArticles Email Newsletters
– Subscribe to Get New Blog Posts Via Email (located next to the Subscribe button in the upper-right corner of the Blog)
– Download the EzineArticles Training Series

Use Social Media: Build your My.EzineArticles.com Network and share your published articles on your social media sites to boost your articles’ reach.

Be Persistent: Above all, believe in your unique tips and insights by building your momentum and including article writing in your routine.

– Marc

Larry writes:

I was wondering if you have an example of # 4, a section of the website that uses archived newsletters.

Thanks,
Larry

Comment provided April 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Larry –

In my personal life, I’m an avid model rocket builder. When you asked your question, this site jumped to mind immediately: http://www.ApogeeRockets.com/Newsletter/newsletter_archive

I hope you find it helpful!

– Marc

Randall Magwood writes:

I find that the more i write, the more traffic i get to my site. If you want to monetize your article writing efforts, write and submit at least 1 article per day, and drive targeted traffic and backlinks to it to get you more exposure… and more clicks back to your website.

Comment provided November 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Comment provided December 7, 2017 at 6:53 AM

Comment provided January 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM

I believe that every person should receive decent money for their work, as this is the time and effort spent by each of us.

Comment provided January 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM