Expert Author Showcase: Cindy Hartman

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Cindy Hartman in Today’s Author Showcase

Reaching success in a relatively unknown industry can be a huge challenge for many business owners and entrepreneurs, but not for Expert Author Cindy Hartman. After discussing the importance of sharing knowledge with a marketing coach, Cindy found great value and success in addressing her clients’ needs with quality, informative articles.

As a focused effort to market her business and to establish herself as a leader in her industry, Cindy began writing articles in 2008. Since then, she has found article writing to be an integral part of her overall marketing plan. “[Personal Property Inventory] is a fairly unknown industry, so educating why people need to know what they own helps sell the need for our service,” Cindy commented. “Obviously, people won’t buy something they don’t know they need!”

This motivates Cindy to write informative articles which help “tell” rather than “sell” her services. In turn, this leverages the need for her niche as well as markets her own home inventory business and turnkey business package.

What does Cindy “tell” in her articles? Client questions, current events, disasters, fires, and thefts always prove great article writing topics for Cindy, but that’s not her only source for ideas. Inspired by her grandchildren, Cindy will take an everyday occurrence in their lives and compare these events to the business world. This creates a unique fingerprint on her niche, because Cindy is “telling” and informing her readers in an engaging way. This builds her reader’s trust and leverages her leadership in her niche.

What is the result? The trust cultivated as a result of her informative articles converts readers into clients or customers. “We have received inquiries after people read the articles,” Cindy explained. “Some of our turnkey group members stated, by reading my articles, they learned of our knowledge which helped them choose to work with us.”

Cindy’s Advice to Expert Authors

1. Determine the purpose for your writing. When there is a purpose, it becomes a part of your marketing plan and remains a vital part of promoting your business.

2. Develop a marketing plan to determine where you will place your writing in terms of importance. This will enable you to prioritize and devote the required amount of time to reach your goals.

3. Have a goal of the number of articles to write per week/month/quarter to help you stay on track.

4. Take your writing seriously and have a specific niche, but also have a couple other niches so you can spread your recognition into other categories. The purpose of this is to find readers where you might not traditionally find them. Where there is a crossover, you will expand your exposure quickly.

5. Time to write is always an issue. Write the drafts, and then edit them when your schedule allows for blocks of a few hours.

While she enjoys her success, Cindy dismisses the idea she may have a skillset that sets her above other Expert Authors. EzineArticles Expert Authors are “a great group of talented writers with whom I’m proud to be a peer,” she stated.

Thank you, Cindy, for sharing your incredible insight with the EzineArticles community!

Do you have a question or comment for Cindy? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

Maxwell Ivey writes:

Hello; I haven’t been writing as long as you. But I can tell by your success that I will need to make it a bigger part of my overall marketing plan. So far I have only written when I had something to say. I do have a question. I was wondering if you publish articles, or use the press release option, or both? Also, do you do additional marketing or promotion of your articles? Thanks and continued success, max

Comment provided March 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Hi Max,

I also write for our 2 business blogs and am working on a third business where I’ll be joined by other contributing bloggers. Also publish my articles on SelfGrowth.com and Retirenet.com as well as guest blog for others’ sites. The other promotion I do is writing newsletters for our company and our turnkey business package group members – we distribution newsletters for them as well. I do use the press release option and love EzineArticles site – very easy to use.

Thanks for your comments/questions!

Joseph Dabon writes:

This piece of advice I have been looking forward to. I have two blogs, one for online business while the other is for happiness and fitness.

Is it possible to guest post in your blogs in any or both subjects?

Thanks.

Max,

Please send me links to your blogs so I can check them out. Thanks!

Joseph Dabon writes:

Thanks for the courtesy of replying.

I have two blogs, one for online business, http://homebizresources.net/ and the other, for happiness and fitness, http://www.joespulpbits.com.

Now that we are at it, how about giving me a few of your thoughts about them?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Opal Marrs writes:

I have been writing for years, but never tried to market and have just begun writing articles on EzineArticles.com. I have the same sort of question that Maxwell asks above. I would like more exposure for my articles and some information in simple terms to show what I might do to start selling. Since I have not done marketing before, some of the information I do get uses terminology with which I am not familiar. I have been writing most of my life, but now I would like to sell.

Comment provided March 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Opal,

Please see my response to Max. One other tip I have is to post your articles on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and any other social media sites where you participate. I like using the EzineArticles link to promote them because people will see it’s been published by EzineArticles (the #1 article marketing site) and that gives me credibility.

Share your experiences about your business. I find educating is better than “selling”. Telling stories will share your business, bring attention to it AND you, but won’t be a hard sell.

Welcome to the world of article marketing!

Cindy

T L Kuhn writes:

Thanks for the great advice. Every once in a while it’s good to get a new perspective from someone who has been doing this a while.

Comment provided March 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Very nice piece of article and her tips are very practical. The most difficult part thereat is to commit to writing a number of articles in a given time frame.

It’s nice to talk about it, but so difficult to fulfill.

Comment provided March 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Joseph,

I agree that writing w/in a given time frame can be difficult. I participated in the 30 articles in 30 days and the 100 in 100 days. I doubt I’ll ever do that again, but it was a challenge and one I’m happy to have taken.

When I come up with ideas, I take a few minutes to create a word document (I have ton’s “started”). Then, when I have time and am in the mood to write, I just need to edit and embellish what I’ve jotted down. This way, no good ideas are forgotten, and I have a head start when it’s my “writing time.”

Another tip is to re-purpose your articles. Post on a couple other sites, but be selective. I use only 2 others. Then, if you blog, chop you articles into smaller pieces for blogs. And if you write blogs, add to them to make them article length.

Best to you!

Joseph Dabon writes:

I was ghostwriting for a business school blog that required an article a day at 700 words no less. And it paid a measly two bucks per article. I gave it up after 1 month.

Am used to 400 words or so. Going beyond that, there is a temptation to write fluff just to fill up space.

Cindy Hartman writes:

$2 per article? That is absolutely ridiculous! Even for a short blog. Your time is most certainly more valuable than that $2!

Joseph Dabon writes:

If one is a struggling freelance writer, he/she is forced to take the plunge – just to establish credentials. Besides, that is the going rate in either Elance or oDesk.

Or can you suggest of a better way to get a better deal from writing?

Cindy Hartman writes:

This is, of course, my opinion, but I think 700 words to earn $2 is not a good investment of my time. To establish credentials, post the best articles you can on EzineArticles you’ll have articles to refer people to. Also, talk to business owners who have blogs in the industries you write about. Ask if you could write a guest blog. This gets you in front of an audience you would most likely not have access to otherwise. Thought this is not a money-generator, you’re writing much shorter posts, which means you’ll have time to write a for a variety of places for the same amount of time you earned only $2. Sometimes it’s better to be known by a variety of people who might be in the market to hire a blogger or ghost writer than to write for just one person.

Anyone else want to offer suggestions to Joseph?

Joseph Dabon writes:

I agree that writing is a lot more difficult that serving hamburgers in a McDonald outlet. But go through the prices at oDesk or Elance and you will be horrified how cheaply client in these sites think of writers.

Sergio Felix writes:

Loved the tips Cindy,

English is not my first language but I don’t let that interfere with my writing.

Your five advice points were top notch, hope I’ll start submitting my first articles to EzineArticles very soon.

Thank you!

Sergio

Comment provided March 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Sergio,

Your English is perfect! Glad I was able to offer some beneficial advice. Let me know when you post your first article. I’ll be happy to post it on my social media networks for you! And be sure to do the same for yourself. There’s nothing wrong with self-promotion!

My best,
Cindy

Samuel Bani Dauda writes:

Hi Cindy!
Thank for the advice, I am very new in article writing, although English language is not my first language but I hope to improve and develop my article writing skill.

Comment provided March 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Samuel,

You have a very good command of the English language! And the more you write, the better you’ll get. So, don’t let that stand in your way.

When I decided to start writing for publication, I spent hours reading others’ articles. It’s a great place to learn!

Joseph Dabon writes:

Just a passing to those who acknowledge that English is not their first language. It is not mine either, but I don ‘t let that bother me.

We should all be proud, I guess, the a lot of English-speaking dudes cannot write as well as us in their native tongue.

Comment provided March 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Joseph,

That’s exactly my point when I responded to Samuel and Sergio! All three of you spell and punctuate much better than SO many others I read.

You all can be confident in your English … keep writing!

Thanks for the comments!
Cindy

Joseph Dabon writes:

I don’t know how many blogs I’ve read that made me question my own writing style. The sentence compositions are way out of line, the grammar sucks and the thought is more scrambled than my egg for breakfast.

Anyway, there is a good way and a better way to write. And writing is an evolutionary process. It is always worthwhile to read those who are up in thy sky in blogsphere.

I get my tips from copyblogger and Sean Platt of ghostwriting dad. Of late, I came across Jon Morrison. But this guy is difficult to follow though he has some great tips on making our writing more appealing.

Cindy Hartman writes:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love writing and sharing my knowledge! That you took time to write to me means a great deal!

I appreciate each of you!

Cindy

Comment provided March 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Cindy,

You have shared some very important points. First, if we don’t feel we have a purpose for writing then what would be the incentive to continue writing? If we don’t have a marketing plan in our mind, or better still listed on paper, then again we will probably have difficulty continuing to write articles because we won’t know why we are doing that and how we can benefit. Then, if we don’t take writing seriously we will probably not find the time to write because we have to choose to allot a certain amount of time to writing.

Thanks and congratulations.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided March 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Everybody is talking about marketing plan but nobody has yet painted a clear picture of what it was.

The other day I downloaded an ebook from a guy at Warrior forum. It was supposed to teach how to drive traffic to a site or blog.

After reading it, I wrote to the guy that the book, though well written, is too generic. It is like an instruction book on how to build a car without the tiny itsy-bitsy thousand things needed to actually build one.

Most of the so called gurus are like that. They make things sound so easy but they sorely lack in details.

Dr. Erica,

I totally agree with each of your points. I see it as a 3-step process: purpose -> plan -> goals.

Thanks for your input!

Cindy

Joseph,

Several months ago I created a one year marketing plan with a successful marketing mentor, Kimberly West. She has an organized format for creating a detailed marketing plan. My plan is over 60 pages in length. But it was not for free. I paid for her services. Many of the online “gurus” will help their inner circle members to create a marketing plan or whatever else they promise but they do charge for their services.

Comment provided March 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Jon writes:

Hi Cindy thanks for sharing your experience about writing with us. Also the tips that you have described are very useful. Good luck mate.

Comment provided April 2, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Craig writes:

Hi Cindy nice insite to article marketing, I’m sort of new to this and just wanted to get your thoughts about how many articles per week should we write.

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Craig,

There is no set number of articles you ‘should’ write. What works best for your schedule. I suggest some type of goal, even if it’s just 1 a month, just to keep you focused. It is common for me write in spurts and write maybe 4 or 5 in one day, then no more for a few weeks. I write when the mood is right. But I do have a goal so I keep it top of mind.

Opal writes:

I am such a novice at this and hesitate to submit questions, but if I don’t ask or research, I won’t know. Sooo, if I post articles on Facebook, will the full article appear.? One of the blogs tells how to do that, but says something about revealing my password to Facebook. Should I share my password for that? I have several articles published on EzineArticles.com and would like to start getting more exposure for them any way I can.

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Opal –

If you post an article on Facebook, it does not post the entire article, only an announcement that the article is now live on our site.

Regarding your password: A common way for reputable sites to share data is to use something called OAuth. OAuth gives us permission to access your Facebook stream on a limited basis and you can withdraw that permission at any time. You are not sharing your password with us – that remains confidential.

– Marc

Cindy Hartman writes:

You can have your articles automatically posted to Facebook as soon as they are approved. Just click “share” when you submit your article.

The other way is once your article is live, copy the URL in the comment section of Facebook. Then a link will appear in a box along with your comment that people can click on which will take them to your article on EzineArticle’s site. Check out my Facebook page to see how it looks (same as with my blog posts): https://www.facebook.com/cindy.hartman

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

craig writes:

Thanks Cindy now I have something to work off, just one thing when you said you write 4-5 in one day do you publish them all on the same day.

Comment provided May 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Cindy Hartman writes:

No, I don’t publish them on the same day. I always write my articles in word first. When I have a group of articles written, I usually just post on per week.

a1171 writes:

I loved your post I can use this info, i am learning to write better content for my viewers

Comment provided November 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM