Article Content vs. Real Life – Wrong Categories

The series where questionable article writing practices are brought into the real world.

When you approach a sales counter to make a purchase, you may be asked: “Did you find everything you were looking for?”

After wandering up and down aisles, have you ever wanted to respond: “Did you model your store after a labyrinth?!”

This sentiment may also resonate with your reader if they can’t find your article because it’s placed in the wrong category. In turn, if your article is in the wrong category, you ultimately decrease your chances of driving traffic to your blog or website.

Meet Brian and Nick in the 12th episode of the Article Content vs. Real Life series to discover why selecting the right category for your article will give your visibility a boost!

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Reach Readers by Choosing the Right Category for Your Article Topic

Brian had the best intentions for his readers and his business. However, Nick showed Brian how if he placed his articles in the right category, his chances of his articles being seen would improve and increase his click-through-rate!

Nick’s Advice on Categories

Don’t “Wing” It

Not knowing the type of information your target audience wants and where they will search for it will hurt your credibility and your exposure. Either readers will not find you or they will completely give up on using you as a credible source for their information.

What to do: Get to know your audience. If your article fits into multiple categories, choose the category that makes the most sense for your readers.

Don’t Match Your Category to Your Expertise

Placing the article in the wrong category, or even a broad category, will only result in getting skipped over by non-targeted readers and it decreases the chances of your article being seen by your intended audience.

What to do: Your targeted readers should easily find the information they are looking for. Choose a category that best matches your article’s content, not necessarily your expertise.

EzineArticles.com has over 700 categories to choose from! Browse your niche’s categories here to match the best categories with your quality articles to position them to get the best pre-qualified traffic they deserve.

Find more Article Content vs. Real Life episodes on the EzineArticles YouTube Channel!

Donald Coles writes:

I see the point, the Brian and Nick video explains that comment and or articles should go in the right place, especially if you want it to be noticed by the right, targeted audience.

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Dave Trujillo writes:

The movie really makes sense and as people get more and more sensitive about being sent to the wrong information. Everyone should see if your site is about weight loss and you send someone to dog training would not make them happy. If you are also selling a product they might think twice about taking your advice.

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Jan Smith writes:

LOL…the information here was as good as crisp celery but the acting reminded me of limp lettuce….

But I/we get your point. It was well scripted to pass on good information.

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Wilma Tune writes:

Yes, I believe the category is very important. The problem is that sometimes there is not enough variety of categories. What do we do then? Is there a way we can add to the category lists?

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Wilma –

There is no way to “add” a category. However, you can click on the “Contact Us!” link in the upper-left corner of your My.EzineArticles interface to request a category. We’ll review all requests for that category and add it if appropriate.

– Marc

This a helpful reminder to cat right so those people looking for your precise content can easily find it and I wont look like this guy!!!!

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Richerd Ho writes:

Great effort. The video really speaks a volume. I will remember this. Thanks

Comment provided March 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Stanfod Tuition writes:

Hey. Nice video taught me the category is very important.

Comment provided March 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

James Witter writes:

thanks for the great tip….it make alot of sense…
I will apply it to my articles

Comment provided March 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

T L Kuhn writes:

I guess he’s right, I never thought about it that way. I will from now on.

Comment provided March 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

David Head writes:

Thank you these are valid points .bit don’t you think that there is always some points ,and that’s it just seems more difficult to post things.Its getting more complicated as time goes by.
Kind Regards
David Head

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Elena writes:

I agree that selecting the right category makes a lot of sense. However, sometimes I’m not so sure that I have select the proper category for my niche. How can I tell if the category that I have selected is right for my niche.

Comment provided March 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Elena –

Quite frankly, you only need to make your best guess. Our editors are trained to re-categorize an article into the most appropriate category if it’s been categorized incorrectly by the author.

– Marc

Jim Oldfield writes:

I LOVE your videos! They never fail to entertain me while educating me.

Cheers!

Comment provided March 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Jim –

Thanks for the kudos! You’ll be happy to know that we love making them as well. :-)

– Marc

Veronique writes:

wow, i didn’t think about it this way. I have been putting my articles within my expertise and not necessarily according to the subject. So, good video to point that out.
And I agree with Wilma Tune’s comments that sometimes I can’t find a category I want.

Comment provided September 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM