Expert Author Showcase: Bob E. Jones

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Bob E. Jones in Today’s Author Showcase

Expert Author Bob E. Jones is the quintessential niche expert. At the age of 10, Bob began the game that would ultimately lead to one of his greatest passions: Golf.

After playing in high school and college, Bob put aside his golf clubs to pursue his career and raise his family. He began to play golf again a few years before he retired and was swept away. Performing a detailed analysis of the game, Bob sought to discover what recreational golfers needed to learn to play their best. After accumulating over 50 years of experience, Bob published his book Better Recreational Golf in 2009 which focuses how to play golf consistently to improve your game.

Bob uses his articles to direct readers to his website via his Resource Box, as well as to increase his exposure to the Internet community. “Exposure draws customers to your site,” he said. “The more times they see your brand name and link it to your product, the better for you.”

With over 300 published articles, Bob shares his golf expertise based on the reader’s needs. “What I would like readers to know, and what I discover that readers want to know are not always the same thing,” Bob commented. “Striking this balance requires constant research.”

Bob’s Article Writing Strategies

• Find Motivation: “My sole motivation is to pass on to readers the benefit of knowledge and experience I have gained that works for me and will work for them, too.”

• Investigate: “Observe the market you write to and write articles about how readers can operate more successfully in that market and derive more satisfaction.”

• Get Ready: “I write in a study away from the main part of the house, and I am alone. Radio, TV, stereos, and communications devices are turned off to prevent distractions. I sit down first thing in the morning when my mind is fresh, and away I go.”

• Get Set: “I sit down and promise myself not to get back up until I have written another article. Because I’m honest about holding myself to that, it doesn’t take more than a few minutes of thought for a fresh topic to emerge.”

• Inform: “Every article I write contains something that the reader can do. I do not just pass on information. I inform and then show the reader how to put that information into practice.”

• Proofread: “I proofread my articles numerous times to ensure that every word is spelled correctly, my grammar is correct, and that every word counts.”

• Assess: “In the Article Views page, I can see which articles hit the mark and which ones get ignored. That is one way I refine my thoughts for future articles.”

• Improve: “Be active in training yourself to write well. Read books and magazine articles in your market and compare them to what you write. Be honest. Are your articles as good? If they aren’t, study the other writers to find out what they’re doing that you’re not.”

Bob’s Final Words

Even with an impressive golf handicap of 9, Bob recognizes the true test of your expertise is if you cannot “explain something simply and precisely to someone else, you don’t really know it yourself… Article marketing not only draws people to your business, but it refines your expertise as well.”

Take Bob’s advice: In your next set of articles, find your passion for your niche, consider what you know, refine that knowledge, and share it with readers. Doing so will provide added credibility, increased exposure, and who knows? Maybe you’ll be in next week’s spotlight!

Do you have a question or comment for Bob? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

greg prince writes:

Thanks for all the great content Bob. I don’t even play golf, but I have read some of your articles and really enjoy them. Lots of great info and detail. I am still kinda new at this so I do study other people’s articles a lot. Keep it up!

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

Greg, this is the article template I use:
1. Teaser
2. Statement of problem
3. What people think works but doesn’t (optional)
4. What really does work and why
5. How to learn to do what’s in step 4.
6. Encouraging close.

If you’re writing “how-to” articles, this template works wonders.

Zeljko Vasic writes:

Sounds like words of wisdom, definetly something to take in consideration when writing or when considering to write an article. My personal favorite is the “inform” part…I always love reading an article that gives me something to use out of reading it therefore from now on I will try focusing even more on delivering usable information when writing my own articles as this is what most people want/are looking to get out of reading one.

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

This is so true. People won’t stick around if all I do is tell them what I know. If your mission is to tell people how they can do better, you’ll get loyal followers.

Decades ago I played golf with a Bob Jones while I was a graduate student at Emory University. He was attending Emory, too. He held his home course record at 66, as I remember. His wife Ann worked with my wife Sandra at Retail Credit company. Are you that Bob Jones?

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

No, Bill, it was a different Bob Jones. Do you know that there is a Bob Jones Golf Tournament held annually in different parts of the country? Every participant must be named Bob/Bobby/Robert/Roberta Jones.

Yes, I’ve heard about that tournament. I look forward to reading your articles. I started playing golf at 13, have enjoyed learning something new every time I play (not that it always shows I learned something the next round I play). Am sure I will learn plenty from you. Thanks for your clarification re the Bob Jones I knew.

uganda safaris writes:

Dear, Bill Lampton, Ph.D. every one would like to be associated with the very best. I surely would like to associate myself with him too. But i would bring him honor if we copied his tips and become the next Bob E. Jones. so that we take pride in our selves too.
Thanks Bob. Am surely becoming the second you.

Ernest writes:

I have websites that I am currently trying to get more traffic and articles is my choice of method to use , I need
more training and I admit I am intimidated by using this.However your style has given me motivation and will to tackle this.Many Many, Thanks and I look forward to reading more from you.

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

Ernest, this was tough for me at the start, too, but I kept at it. It took about six months to begin finding my voice. Just keep writing and strive to make the next article better than the last one. I know you can do it.

Ernest writes:

Encouraging words I am off to get a fresh start.
Thanks again

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Mike Hadaway writes:

Thanks for the tips on writing. It is obvious that you take this very seriously as you do golf.

Comment provided December 1, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

Mike, I do take it seriously, but most of all it’s fun. I don’t know which one gives me more joy — hitting a 6-iron stiff to the pin, or watching the words coalesce that express my latest insight in just the right way.

John writes:

Hey Bob, thanks for all the tricks you have described. I will also mix these tricks in my articles from now. Hope this will increase my success rate.

Comment provided December 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Bob E. Jones writes:

I have no doubt that they will, John. Good luck with them.

Jon writes:

Hey Bob, I am really inspired by your success and I am trying to learn from you. Hope your tricks would help me for my forthcoming success story.

Comment provided December 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Marty Shea writes:

Just swiped your article template. I’m gonna’ test drive this sucker for a bit. I’ve got a feeling it’s gonna work wonders for me.

Muchas, gratias,

Marty Shea

Comment provided December 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Vijay Khosla writes:

if you cannot “explain something simply and precisely to someone else, you don’t really know it yourself… (Unquote).

I admire these lines given by Bob and the bonus … his “Article Template” .

Keep guiding Sir.

Thanks.

Comment provided December 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Peter Gubbe writes:

I like the template and will try it soon.

Comment provided December 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Fred Reid writes:

Bob
Enjoyed your article, got some good tip on writing. I do know that everyone is not the same. I have a place in my house to go and get away, it’s the basement. Unlike you I need sound around me anytime I am working on line. In my basemwnt I have a TV, DVD player, a CD/Raido and a piano. I enjoy walking away and spend time playing the piano to get my head working, it does help.
I am a fan of Bobby Jones so I like the way you sign your name.
Thanks for your time and have a nice day
Fred Reid