From My Desk To Yours: 1st Video Edition

How to Write Compelling Articles to Maximize Your Return on Investment
By: Penny, EzineArticles Managing Editor

The From My Desk to Yours Blog post series (by none other than yours truly), has been a series of educational tips aimed at helping you become a better writer, easing your frustrations with article reviews, as well as guiding the discussions that follow each post.

Today we’re taking these conversations and this series to the next level: Video. And while I am not at my actual desk in this video (mine is covered in all sorts of gadgets, including an air freshener that startles the Editors every time it puffs), I wanted to share specific tips and techniques to help you maximize your article writing efforts.

So, without further ado, check out today’s video How to Write Compelling Articles to Maximize Your ROI below:

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Why Compelling Content Is Important

• Keeps the Reader’s Attention
  • Keeps the Reader Engaged
  • Builds Trust
  • Increases Click-Through-Rate (CTR)

How Do You Write Compelling Content?

• Consider the Reader’s Needs
    • Don’t Think About Search Engine Optimization
    • Focus on Valuable, Useful Information
  • Bring the Reader Home
    • Keep Your Articles Conversational
    • Imagine You’re Sharing This Information With a Close Friend
    • Write to One Person

It’s THAT easy! Engage the reader by meeting their needs, provide them with unique insight, be transparent by writing naturally, and bring the reader home with a conversational tone. Use these tips to write compelling articles and maximize your article writing efforts.

If you have a suggestion for writing compelling articles or a future From My Desk to Yours video, please share it in the comments section below!

Paul writes:

Dear Penny,

You really covered all the bases for writing compelling content. This a very informative video.

All the best,

Paul

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Thanks Penny, I always thought writing from the heart ultimately bears more of what people want to hear and creates desire to read on. I think when you can search yourself and describe what you are feeling at a deep level, you are effectively revealing to others what they are feeling about themselves too, but you have just put it into words for them, something they have not been able to do before.

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Jeannette writes:

Good morning,
I have no suggestion, I just want to say Thank you so much for this wonderful information.

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Sheila Hall writes:

Video is a great transition for your written words. Having both is an excellent and much appreciated offering to your readers. I am gearing up to start posting articles on the Internet. I’ve been advised that http://www.EzineArticles.com is “King of the Hill” among eZines on the Web. Now I know why. Many thanks. Shalom!

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Wolfgang writes:

Thank you for the video Penny, I particularly like the tip about writing the article in a conversational way, and I think that you could add to that, let your personality shine through.

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Penny, you and Marc shine!

A respectful question. Why do you have a puffer on your desk? Is the office environment so dreadful?

Why not use plant power instead?

Do let me know.

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Lisa,

Quite the contrary… the ‘puffer’ is what is has been named only because it puffs Vanilla scents. I LOVE vanilla scents. The puffer is actually a hidden air freshener so you hear it, smell it, but you can’t see it. My plant power is high as I house a few bamboo plants as well. :)

Penny, as usual, lots of great info.

I’d add ‘fun’. I love to be entertained by witty writing even though it may not bring me any actual benefits.

A good laugh is a huge benefit some days.

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM

rosevoc2 writes:

That was fantastic and helpful. Thank you.

A blessed day!

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Sheila writes:

What a great video! Very simple and to the point, and you have a great voice! Thanks for all of your helpful tips.

Comment provided October 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Great video – very apropos.

Now then, I recommend that each author go out of their way to learn at least 15 new things everyday, perhaps go to a coffee shop and talk to strangers or other locals, or go to the library and read through a book or magazine on a topic you know nothing about, or surf away on a subject that you are not familar with. Next find parallels to whatever it is that you do, and how it relates to other things that you’ve learned, look for links and ways of describing things. It will help you with your own endeavors and seeing things differently, but best of all, it will help you write totally unique articles, on issues no one has ever written about before, new perspectives, ideas, thoughts, and that my friends really turns on readers because your articles sit well above the onslaught of debris online. Make your articles standout with originality, innovation, and make your reader think, and while they are thinking, perhaps they will click on your resource box link to learn more insight from you – this strategy works for me!

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Renee writes:

These are great reminders on effective article writing. My favorite reminder is “to be conversational.” Thanks, Renee

Comment provided November 16, 2011 at 8:22 AM

shweta kochar writes:

Would like to know how to get paid for the artlcles. Can you give any information about a company which pays or hires online writers for articles.
Will be grateful to you for this help.
thanks

Comment provided November 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Shweta –

EzineArticles does not pay for articles or hire online writers. The only ‘payment’ we offer is increased traffic back to your website or blog, enhanced credibility and more media exposure.

I’m sorry, I have no suggestions for any company that would pay or hire online writers for articles – though I’m sure they exist.

– Marc