Expert Author Showcase: Mary Ruddy

Meet EzineArticles Expert Author Mary Ruddy in today’s Author Showcase.

As Editor-in-Chief of several natural health and wellness websites, Expert Author Mary Ruddy strives to consistently provide quality information to help support a longer, healthier, and more productive life for her readers.

Inspired by her own experience as a patient “struggling with health problems, being passed from pillar to post from one doctor or consultant to another, but without any real answers,” Mary fought to find answers. “Through my own quest to get to the bottom of my health issues, I accidentally found my passion and through daily interaction with people who have gone through similar experiences, my inspiration and motivation to become a leading authority in this niche has been fueled.”

Bringing a Whole New Meaning to Quality of Life

Writing quality articles is more than just passing on information from expert to reader; it’s about taking that extra step to help the reader improve upon their own knowledge-set. “I always focus on quality and I will never deviate from this,” Mary stated. “As I write in the natural health niche, I know how important it is to provide real, genuine and tangible information to people who are searching for answers. When I am writing, I keep in mind that most of my readers are real people who are looking for answers to serious health matters and I want to ensure that when they read my articles… they feel they have received valuable information and that I have helped them in some way.”

Success with Article Writing

Using article writing as the single largest component of her overall marketing plan, Mary recognizes the popular focus on backlinks, article views, and click-through-rates. However, the more successful route Mary recommends is building a connection with the reader by providing quality content. “High quality, unique content will always be in demand,” she commented. “The more of this I can provide in my chosen niche, then the greater the results I will achieve. And as my articles become syndicated across other high profile websites and gain further exposure, my profile, recognition, and brand awareness will significantly increase, leading to overall success.”

Mary’s 5 Article Writing Tips

1. Essential Ideas: Talk to your targeted audience about their needs. This ensures you are providing information to the people who will actually benefit from your writing and focuses your mind to get the creative juices flowing.
  2. Research: Put yourself in the mind of a potential reader and ask yourself: what are the particular needs of the reader? Begin a preliminary search on Google to ensure any facts or information you provide are correct and not misleading.
  3. Writing Space: Keep a clean, clear writing space and post short-term and long-term writing goals where they can be seen as you write.
  4. Eliminate Distractions: It is easy to lose sight of your plans and allow yourself to become distracted from achieving your goals. Be vigilant to achieve your dreams and don’t allow yourself to become distracted and unfocused.
  5. Proofreading: After writing a first draft, edit it accordingly to ensure it flows nicely, is easy on the eye, and ultimately delivers great information for the reader.

Mary’s Last Words

“Never give up! Article writing and marketing can be a real challenge… There will be days when you might struggle and want to give up, but this is when you need to persevere as success could be just around the corner… Surround yourself with people who will encourage and help you and this will make it so much easier for you to keep going and never give up!”

Do you have a question or comment for Mary Ruddy? How do you ensure quality in a backlink focused world? Share your feedback in the Comments section below!

Chris Bassett writes:

Excellent inspiring words Mary. Hopefully i can connect with my readers the way you do.

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Chris for your kind comments. I wanted to be open and honest and that is how I strive to be when I am writing articles for my readers.

Robert Locke writes:

Inspiring as always Mary! I know that you do lots of other things as well!

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you Robert! I appreciate your kind words. I put a lot of thought into how I am going to approach any niche I write about.

I have to feel comfortable with the information I present to readers and potential webmasters.

I want people to have a enjoyable experience when they visit my websites and find information that can help them in some way.

Dave Whittle writes:

Hi Mary,

You are a breath of fresh air!

Your amazing output and sound advice raises the bar and sets the levels that we should all try and achieve.

Sound advice indeed.

Dave

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you Dave for those incredible words! I truly appreciate them.

I look to inspire, guide, help, advise and support in everything I do, whether it is writing articles, creating content for my websites, creating a newsletter for my subscribers, or simply replying to emails from visitors to my websites.

And I will always continue to do so.

Carol Igwe writes:

Good stuff, thank you Mary for the article writing tips – they will surely be helpful especially to new article writers.
Carol

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Carol for your kind words. I am very grateful.

I hope that I can inspire new writers as I know from personal experience, that when you first start writing and submitting articles, it can seem very daunting.

But the realisation that you have something worthwhile to offer, whether it be advice, tips or indeed a solution to a problem that can actually help a lot of people, you find the inner strength to keep going.

Michael Stagger writes:

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your tips on writing articles. I like to learn bits and pieces from as many sources as possible. Thanks !

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thanks Michael for you kind comments. I appreciate them.

I too like to learn as much as possible from various sources, and there are a number of websites I follow, some of them belonging to some amazing authors on here, that help keep me on the right track.

And in return, I like to pay it forward, to as many people as possible.

The more we all share, the better we all become, as article writers, website creators, and solution providers.

Vijay Khosla writes:

Your Tips on Article Writing are quite encouraging. I would love to learn more by going through your way of writing.

Thanks.

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Vijay for your kind words. I do appreciate them.

I enjoy sharing with fellow writers any tips, advice, guidance and help that I feel could be of benefits and I also enjoy learning from those many skilled, professional and successful article writers here at EzineArticles.

Nicos Stylianou writes:

Mary, you are the living proof that the secret to online success is genuine passion and generosity in sharing our knowledge to make peoples’ lives better . You are truly an inspiration!

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Hi Nicos,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I truly appreciate them.

I totally agree that anytime we share our knowledge, through articles, website/blog content, ebooks, reports, newsletters etc., to help another person in some small way, then what we do is so worthwhile.

I will always strive to be the best that I can be, to continually share all I can, and to deliver top quality content to as many people as possible.

Mary

I have worked with Mary on a professional level, and it is no wonder that she is a featured author, and successful at what she does.

Kudos Mary, and keep setting a great example for the rest of us!

Beth

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Hi Beth,
Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comments.

One of the primary goals I set myself when I started out in article marketing and building websites, was that I would never skimp on quality over quantity.

I honestly believe that the better the quality one delivers, the more successful one can become.

Joseph Dabon writes:

You made it sounds so simple I had a smile on my face.

Great work.

Comment provided October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Hi Joseph,
Thank you so much for your kind words!

You know, when I first started off writing articles, and learning how to write them properly from my mentor and trainer Dan, I used to totally overthink the entire process.

After doing a number of articles, I stepped back from it all, and realised that I was making it way more complicated than it need to be.

I realised that I had a lot to offer in my chosen niche, that I had experience, tips and advice to share, and really, I needed to deliver that in an authentic way that was me, and not try to be anyone else.

And that is what I started to do and I so enjoy it all now and love the interaction with my customers and visitors to my websites.

Chris McCormick writes:

Excellent advice Mary. Offering quality information can reach and benefit many people. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Chris, I appreciate your kindness.

I am blessed to have the support of excellent mentors, Dan, Johnny and Amie, and excellent members who are so willing to help each other achieve their goals and dreams.

I truly believe that success will come from not comprising on quality over quantity and always delivering fresh and relevant material to readers.

James Allen writes:

Hi Mary, thanks for the encouragement to keep on writing quality articles. Sometimes it’s hard to take a bunch of information and organize and write about it in a unique and interesting way. But in the end, a quality article is worth the effort. Thank You

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you very much James for your wonderful words! I really appreciate it!

I think we all need encouragement from time to time, as we never know how close we really are to achieving our goals online.

I agree that it can be hard to write several articles on the same topic and make each one of them unique, and the key is to take an aspect of that topic each time, so collectively, your articles deliver a huge resource on that topic.

Quality is paramount to success. People get turned is they read something that does not deliver for them.

Glad you found my tips helpful!

Stacie Walker writes:

Mary, I appreciate your tips in this article. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I like that you mentioned the importance of surrounding yourself with people that will encourage you when times of writing are tough. You are a fine leader!

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Stacie for your kind words! I am very grateful.

I am blessed to have a wonderful support group of like-minded people who are seeking to achieve the same goals.

And it is nice sometimes to be able to bounce ideas off those people as this can increase creativity.

Thanks again Stacie!

Mary

Mary, I have written over 200 articles and I thought that was a lot until I saw how many you have produced. It is truly the consistency and passion that you bring to article writing that makes a huge difference. Kudos to you.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Dr. Erica for your very kind words! I truly appreciate them!

It has taken me a while to generate that volume of articles but I think what helps is that they are on subjects that I am extremely passionate about.

I have many more articles planned as I look to reach out to as many people as possible who could benefit from the information that I provide.

Thanks again Dr. Erica for the kindness and support.

Sharell Cook writes:

Mary, you’re an inspiration… and 648 articles published!! Wow, what an achievement. You deserve every bit of recognition, not just for the effort you put in but because of your kindheartedness and willingness to share all your wonderful knowledge with others. Wishing you the best.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Sharell for your wonderful words! I truly appreciate them!

I plan to publish lots more articles as in some ways, I feel I have only just started!

I have so much more information, advice, guidance and tips I want to share, and what better place to do that than here on EzineArticles.

I am always happy to share my knowledge with anyone in need of it, and wish everyone success in all of their endeavours.

Thanks again Sharell!

Vijay Khosla writes:

“Quality is Paramount to Success”

Very well said, Madam.

These three words are very soul searching if one can follow!

Thanks

Comment provided October 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Vijay! I appreciate your kind words.

I honestly believe that quality triumphs each and every time over quantity.

A quality article can get syndicated across many top websites, leading to a much wider audience, whereas several low quality articles will go pretty much unnoticed.

People want to read real, genuine and useful information, and when they get it, they will come back for more.

Thank you for your kind comments Vijay!

Ira Mency writes:

Mary,

I’m so glad I read this about you today. Congrats on your accomplishments. It does indicate sometimes finding your own answers leads you on a path to what you are really supposed to be doing. In your case sharing this all together useful information. I think we all share in the common frustration of getting bounced from doctor to doctor and getting the runaround. I really think you are a true asset to the world. xoxoxo

Comment provided October 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Ira for your wonderful kind words! I truly appreciate it as it means a lot to me.

It’s funny how things turned out. But I think the one underlying fact was that I was always interested in helping people, in whatever capacity possible.

And I guess, writing articles in the natural health niche, allows me to continue that passion.

But I think you are right Ira, the frustration I went through, going from doctor to doctor for answers, did lead me to the path that I was meant to be on.

Thanks again Ira! I am very appreciative of your kind comments.

IQuitIM writes:

I agree with you wholeheartedly that consistency and passion play a huge role in how well you contribute and perform. I think surrounding yourself with people who will give you encouragement when you need it is important for success.

Comment provided November 3, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Mary Ruddy writes:

Thank you so much Rob for your kind comments! I really appreciate them!

I think lack of consistency and not having passion for what they do, is one of the reasons that people fail.

I am a firm believer that people should follow what they are passionate about, because then they have a greater chance of following through to completion.

Having the right people around you is paramount to success. Negative people only serve to drain one’s energy, whereas like-minded people boost your confidence and self-belief.

Thanks again Rob for your kind comments.

Comment provided December 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Mary I have found your story and your comments very helpful in beginning with our site. You are like a mentor for us beginners.

Comment provided January 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Jami Goode writes:

Well deserved recognition Mary! Thanks for sharing. You have this wonderful habit of being generous. Yes, writing articles that pique interest, provide value, really speak to peoples’ needs, and, dare I say it, even inspire, continue to challenge us all. Keep writing! -Jami

Comment provided February 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM