5 Quick Tips to Attract New Readers

Making Articles Interesting, Entertaining, Fun & Exciting

Attracting a new set of readers to your articles isn’t always an easy task. Of course, you’re always looking to grow the size of your audience, but pinpointing exactly what makes one article more interesting/entertaining/exciting than the next one can be tricky.

It requires a balance of focus on both the quality of your content, as well as your ability to promote articles after publication. All steps of the process are important.

Our focus today is on the first part of the equation – the quality of the content. In this video, discover 5 ways to attract new readers and get higher returns on your articles.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Quick Tips to Get New Readers

Here’s a recap of the tips from the video:

1. Tell a Story – Create a hook or theme for each of your articles. Incorporate a story that your audience can connect to or relate to instead of just plainly stating facts. How you choose to present information to your audience can make a big difference. A well-written story will attract more readers.

2. Speak to One Person – Use your article to communicate directly to a single reader. Focus on using “you” instead of “he”, “she”, “they”, etc. This influences the readers perception that you are speaking directly to them and not to just anyone out in cyberspace. Plus, if it’s your first impression with a reader, it’s a great way to start forming a relationship for the future.

3. Provide Original Information – Deliver your story and information in a fresh and original way. Your originality is what will set you apart from other authors. Remember, quality still matters, and having an original article is just part of the equation. You also need to make sure your article is built soundly with proper grammar and punctuation.

4. Draw Inspiration – Use experiences in your everyday life for writing inspiration. Live in your niche and bring your personal experiences and stories into your articles. Try to write those ideas down that come to you right when they pop in your head. Then you’ll have them ready for when you have time to write.

5. Be Creative – Tell a new story with every article you write. Break the mold and get creative. The more you incorporate your creativity into your articles, the more likely you’ll start to gain a wider audience.

Keep these quick tips in mind to attract new readers while writing your next set of quality, original articles.

Also, check out this previous post to discover some specific things you can do to get more out of your articles once they are published.

Have you used any of these techniques to get new readers? Leave a comment to share your experiences and your thoughts.

Carolyn Thomas writes:

I always use “you” when writing my articles. I feel like it gives the reader the initiative to take action based on what I’ve written. The “You Can Do It too” feeling that makes following my instructions seem very easy and worth the effort.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Carolyn,

Great advice! Connecting and making your reader feel like your article was written for them is really encouraging.

When I read something that I connect with, my patience for the length and my time investment increases by a lot.

Carol Dekkers writes:

What an insightful and concise summary of how to get more readers!

Story-telling is often cited as the best way to convey information and connect with audiences whether they be in print, in person (as in a presentation) or in another media (such as movies).

No matter what type of learner we are (visual, audial or kinesthetic), the power of stories to link with our cognitive memory cells is unparalleled.

Thanks for posting!
Carol

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Mona Graham writes:

Very good tips, I am going to use them in my article writing

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

As with many other things in life, these tasks demand one taps a psychological root within ourselves, especially 3, 4, and 5. Once you are even able to search and locate yourself in this way, then don’t forget the conversion of these inspirations into words; quite a formidable set of skills to master, when you think about. But I imagine it gets easier the more you practice. Good tips, thanks.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Zia writes:

I guess, it goes beyond tips. Use the tips as a master plan. Write every day an article following these rules. It could be a tough ask for you if you are not in the habit of writing. But as the time goes on, the effect of committing your self into a profound practice would certainly rewarded.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM

M Francis writes:

Always good to be reminded about the basics…

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Wade Coye writes:

Those are all excellent tips, but I personally think “Tell a story” may be one of the most important aspects. Whether you tie your article into a real-life experience, or you give specific anecdotes, your reader needs to be able to ground your ideas and themes into some sort of tangible reality.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM

One thing which has assisted me in doing this is having conversations at the local Starbucks, talking to people directly, and then when I write, I seem to automatically talk to my reader, even though no one is actually there when I am typing or voice dictating into the word processing program.

One reason I think this blog post is so valuable is that writing articles this way is “way more fun” and it takes out the “work” aspect to writing, making it enjoyable, and you come up with better articles this way. You know what else?

Folks really like these types of articles better, they aren’t dry, monotonous, or boring you see? When you produce content like this you’ll find your readers more apt to contact you, and strike up a friendly tone, yes, even if they disagree with you, for instance with a political or opinion article. Sometimes readers want more than just straight information, so give it this personal touch, and you’ll be very pleased with the results.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

So Lance – how about an article on “Starbucks Article Writing Secrets”?

I’m only partially kidding…

~ Jeff

Walter Reich writes:

I like the personal approach, write it as if you are talking to one person. Great idea.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Santa Janki writes:

Good tips, I am going to use them in my article writing, thank you.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Cipto writes:

It’s very good tips how to get a wider new reader. Sometimes I still use they not you, I will change it. I have 3 basic guides to write article. They are 3 C (Context, Content & Creative). Context is related with telling story, prolog or explanation before main topic), Content is of course original and mixed my own experience and opinion) and Creative is how to give a reader something different.

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Thiet ke logo writes:

I think the readers need to attract innovative and quality in the old smoking articles made ??and that is good advice or encouragement, direction for them or at least is entertaining

Comment provided July 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Michelle Zimvu writes:

Thanks for these fantastic tips!I particularly like “speak to one person”. I often use “we” when writing my articles as I feel it gives the reader a sense of security because they feel that you are ‘holding their hand’ through the process :)

Comment provided July 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Al Turrisi writes:

Thanks for the tips. I have used personal situations in the past and was concerned about sharing my life experiences. Thank you for the insights I will go back to using life experiences and being more open.

Comment provided July 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I have changed my way of writing but has taken a while and with the help of Ezine, The “You” program I call it as you speak to one person instead of he or she. As well as plugging in your real life experiences can be very powerful as you will communicate on a higher level and be more personable with your readers. Thank you.

Comment provided July 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Jürgen writes:

These tips are as trivial as they are awesome. Storytelling grabs peoples hearts. This is practiced since thousands of years. Remember the stories of 1001 nights. Good stories build pretty pictures in the head and rise emotions. That’s it. Go for it.

Comment provided July 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Roy Curtis writes:

Being a retired radio announcer, one thing that may help. Get a picture of a friend, loved one, or even a pet animal, and write (or if in a video – talk) to the image in the picture as if the image was live.

It really helped me years ago, and I still use the (mental) image today.

Roy

Comment provided July 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Karol Heckart writes:

I write my articles and often go back and fix the pronouns. I find I jump around from saying “one”, “they” and “you”. Clearly you is best and I aim to personalize as much as possible.

As much as I like the story idea, I have a hard time writing a story without making it about me, instead of about my readers. I’ll have to work on that.

Comment provided July 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Nice tips. Especially about using the ‘You’ to speak to one person. I’ve been confused about this because some ‘experts’ suggest not to come across as a know it all.

I wrote an article for my blog and used the term ‘We’ and it didn’t come out that great. Last night I was thinking of rewriting it.

There are so many people out there with ideas and advice but I think I’m going to stick to using ‘You’.

Comment provided July 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Debra Bee writes:

Great info and clarity on best approach to engage readers. Appreciate the insight!

Thanks,
Debra Bee

Comment provided July 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Language Translations writes:

It is really going to help me a lot in my writing and can fetch a lot of visitors.

Comment provided September 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM