Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Randy Hough, an experienced plastic injection mold maker, who started article writing and marketing as a creative outlet.
Randy’s love of learning has lasted a lifetime and helped him settle in comfortably as an Expert Author.
When he started writing and submitting to EzineArticles, he quickly realized how much of his everyday knowledge could help him define himself as an expert.
As part of our Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Randy to share insights from his own article writing and marketing experiences.
- What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?
My experience raising eight very lively children, being a single parent with four teenagers, several years living in a commune in Sweden, passion for playing acoustic music, 30 years working as a plastic injection mold maker and my lifelong love of learning makes me uniquely qualified as a writer.
- What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?
Persistence, not getting distracted, making a plan and following it are essential to any success. Also, abiding by common sense guidelines and holding high moral standards gives lasting results.
- Where do you get the most article writing inspiration/motivation?
From my keyword research tool, Keyfuse. I also draw on my own personal experience.
- Describe your typical writing session and environment.
Now that most of my children are on their own, I have some time in the evening and weekends. I try to devote two hours a night to writing and marketing. In the past, when I had four teens and was a single parent, I had to wait until they went to bed, which was always late. Zzzzzz … for me the next day. I also had no Internet connection and had to go to the local university study hall. Now I have high speed Internet and a desk!
- What’s your favorite cure for a case of writer’s block?
Discipline. If I’m stuck, I put on a CD or listen to Pandora. I work really well in 45 minute spurts.
- What are the main challenges you’ve faced in article writing and marketing?
Avoiding gimmicky programs that come out all the time. Not listening to the naysayers who thought I was into some kind of scam. Not hopping from one approach to the other repeatedly.
- How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?
It is an essential component. I use it for link building, meeting people, getting content for websites and traffic building.
- What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?
The analytics are great, the writing format is easy to use and the templates were quite helpful in the beginning. I almost never read directions, but just start on things. Then, when I get stuck, I look in the guides.
- If you had to start over again, what would you change? (i.e. what advice you would give newbie article marketers?)
Master the writing required for EzineArticles and you will have a good foundation for web pages and other internet writing. I wish I could say that slow and steady wins the race, but I can’t do that, even though it sounds right. I can be steady, but not slow.
- Anything else you’d like to share?
Never quit. Do not fall for the latest and greatest new program out there. Human nature is and always will be the same, so basic laws of providing a quality product for people who need it will always work.
Here’s a summary of Randy’s insights:
- Pinpoint Your Passion – Whether you have a ton of life experiences to work off of or you’re relatively young and bringing a fresh eye to old topics, find the topics that are most interesting to you. Pinpoint the things you’re most passionate about and spend extra effort on those things.
- Be Persistent – Make a writing plan/schedule and follow it. A writing plan will help keep you from getting distracted and falling behind on goals.
- Practice Discipline – Try not to let yourself get stuck. You need to be able to shut out distractions when you’re writing and find ways to work through writer’s block.
- Test Out Writing Environments – When you find conditions that hinder your writing, try to avoid them in the future. When you find conditions that help your writing, keep them in mind and use them in the future. Once you get comfortable with a set routine, don’t change it unless it’s limiting your productivity and attention to the topic.
- Master the Writing Part – Master the writing required for EzineArticles. This will help you on two fronts. First, the process of writing will become easier and smoother with more experience. Second, it may open up other avenues you can consider as a web content producer.
- Never Quit – Seek out resources like your article analytics, article templates and the EzineArticles Blog to spice up your writing.
What steps are you taking to improve on your article writing and marketing strategy? Share them below and leave a comment for Randy. He’d love to hear from you.