Think Big With Article Marketing

The times they are a-changing.

Well, more accurately, they’ve been a-changing for a while now. What it takes to have an influential voice in your niche has changed over time, but we’re slowly starting to understand the numbers.

Early on, say 10 years ago, a dozen or two dozen articles in your niche could make a big difference in the traffic you’d get back to your website or blog. Submitting those articles was enough to put you in the company of some of the top authors in most niches, and your articles were likely to appear high in search engine results because there were a lot less websites back then.

Fast forward ten years to today and we’ve seen an explosion in the number of live websites competing on search engines. The number of people using the internet and search engines daily has also exploded. As more web content producers enter the market and more consumers are looking for information, it takes more articles to get the same amount of attention you were getting in the past.

In 2011, you need more like 200-500 articles to begin to get that same return you used to be able to get with a couple dozen articles. This can seem like a daunting task, but it’s not so bad if you start “thinking bigger” with your article writing and marketing strategy. In this video, I’ll show you a few steps that’ll get you to scale up your article marketing efforts and start thinking big.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Four takeaways from the video:

• Create a Goal – If you don’t have a goal, you’ll never know how successful you’ve been. At first, try to think about goals in terms of production. Maybe that means getting your first 100 articles available for distribution. If you already have 100, set your goal for 500 or 1,000 articles. Don’t stress over the results you see right away. Article marketing takes time, so hold off on setting results-based goals for at least a couple of months.

• Big Picture and Long Term – The average article generates about 25-250 views per year. If you have 10 articles on your account, you can expect about 250-2,500 views and about 7-75 clicks through to your website (assuming an average CTR of about 3%). If you scale that up to 100 articles, the average views go up to 2,500-25,000 and about 70-750 direct clicks to your website. The point of this example is get you to use a long term approach to thinking of the big picture. The cumulative effects of your efforts show over time.

• Think “Small” – As a writer, taking on an entire niche is a monumental task. What you need to do is break up the niche into subtopics. By getting small with your focus, your content becomes more specialized and focused on detailed information. As you drill down and write more detailed information, you’ll be competing with less content producers. You’ll also be able to connect with highly-interested prospects that you can create a business relationship with.

• Role of Evergreen Articles – Think big by writing evergreen content. Share information that’s relevant today AND years into the future. An article that stays accurate as time passes holds its value and will typically outperform articles that cover more trendy topics. Evergreen articles generate traffic for you for years to come and that’s what thinking big is all about.

Use these “thinking big” strategies as you write and submit more quality articles now and in the future.

How do you think big with your article writing and marketing? Leave a comment to share your thoughts.

That is so right – ALWAYS think big!

Evergreen articles are so valuable – I have one that I submitted here in August of ’05 and it still gets between 1,500 and 2,000 new views a month!

When you consistently crank out new content on a regular basis (daily) many good things come your way…

~ Jeff Herring

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Wow… 2,000 new views a month is fantastic. Could you kindly share me the article?

Joyce Morlin writes:

Would also love to see the article written in November ’05 that generates 1500 – 2000 new views per month!

Jack Krohn writes:

great stuff and good advice even to geezers like me. BUT even with more articles you can crank up the volume by finding ways to increase page views and the CTR-then wahoo!!

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Eric Wagner writes:

This would be great if you could maintain a level of quality when you scale by 10 times. Most people cant. I wouldn’t want to in my SEO website. My viewers only follow me because of each article’s quality (and maybe even occasional humor).

This post could almost be retitled “How to create a content farm”, which is what google’s update last night was designed to combat.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Josph D Shiller writes:

Eric, you make a good point. I just wanted to add that it seems logical to me that, the more specific your subject is (that is, the longer the tail) the less quantity there will be to write about it. That is of course that you maintain the level quality of each article. Quality being defined by, A-Not rehashing the same information in multiple articles and B- not straying form the specific topic to include broader subjects.

Barbara Boone writes:

I think big by writing an article that goes with what is happening each month of the year. January is get yourself organized for the New Year. February is start getting your tax information together. Spring is clean out time. Summer is vacation time. It makes thinking of topics easier.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

GaryFPatton writes:

‘Thinking small’ plus ‘every-green’ is helpful advice, Marc, for those of who find writing 1,000 articles both daunting & overwhelming. Thank you!

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I have no idea how I could come up with 500 articles. Not really sure what “evergreen” means, besides the trees. Thanks, Karen

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Karen – Check out this Blog post for more information on the evergreen concept: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/06/evergreen-articles.html

Dr Dorothy writes:

Karen: Use keywords for your topic and you will find thousands of angles for an article. I have the opposite problem – so many articles to write and not enough hours in the day to write them.

I wish you well on your article writing journey.

Dr. Dorothy

J Chase writes:

This is good information. When i write I always think I can never write 200 or more articles on my niche, and then I stumble on something that brings me 10 or more titles.

Thanks for the information Marc.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Frank writes:

This is pretty solid information. It’s a lot of work to just try to write an an entire industry. Sometimes, it’s just better to pick out a few really good sub niches within a category, and go with it.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Kim Williams writes:

Thanks, Marc, for sharing your enthusiasm. I’m a real ‘newbie’ to this so I’m looking for all the tips I can get. Does it get easier to write as you get more into it? It certainly seems a daunting prospect to even get to the first 100!

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Zak Ramdani writes:

@Marc
I’m eager to hear your response to Google’s change in algorithm..

Looking forward to your next newsletter.

Zak

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM

R Lashley writes:

Good stuff Marc.

There are writers ( who are more appropriately named publishers as they don’t personally write most of the stuff under or over their byline) that punch out an average of 10 to 15 articles in their niche everyday of the year. Every — freaking — day.

That’s 3,500+ articles every year. Every — freaking — year.

Most of the content created by these writers/publishers lacks. Lacks what? Uh, a lot.

(In fact, I have it on good authority that one of those writers/publishers is due before the queen later this year to be knighted . . . wait for it . . . “Sir-Lacks-A-Lot”.)

I mean, how many times a year can you chew up and spit out the “Top 5 Ways To Write SEO Articles”? (Apparently about 3,500.)

Then again, as of this writing, I’ve only 125 views and an anemic 18.4% click rate. So, um, yeah — whadda I know. :)

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I know you are right. In fact when I “google search” for myself, I find myself using long tail key words to get the sites I need. By making my search very specific, it will bring up a lot less sites but with a lot more relevant information for me.

I have to start thinking more like a customer and less like a marketer!

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Alan Johnstona writes:

Great article Google knows good content from copied, so I don’t get too bogged down in the mechanics and concentrate on writing from my heart I have around 30 articles (6 months work) and concentrate on being consistent and interesting with provocative headlines etc
Result is I am getting some really good reach for many of my sites now. but this article I learned from and that’s what I try to rememberto give something away each time.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Sherl Wilsher writes:

I absolutely enjoyed this information. I was just starting to get a little down with my numbers, but it helps to think in terms of the big picture.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Donald E Yerke writes:

Good Points Marc,

I would add to one comment that instead of branching outward, you do the opposite. Readers want articles that are not fluff. Just pick one aspect of a subject matter and write about one unique feature.

Some of the best ideas for the next article come while you are writing the current one.

MARC: Please comment and help. Some Fool added by computer 50,000 readers to my last article. I do not need or want inflated figures.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Donald – I’ll personally send your comment to our Member Support folks. Somebody will be contacting you privately via email to get it solved.

WithU writes:

I think we can also learn from the EzineArticles videos. How well they keep our attention, how much quality content, how well illustrated they are. Thanks, guys, for the consistent quality. Much appreciated.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I’m now at 1,544 articles and continue to write a new one almost every day. This has led to some incredible opportunities that I would have missed out on otherwise. EzineArticles rocks!

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Terre Ritchie writes:

I’m curious Connie. What kind of incredible opportunities have come your way from writing these articles on Ezine? I’m new to this so I’m curious about what comes of it all. Thank you! Terre

Glenn Ferguson writes:

Marc, great video. Would you share about the software you used to edit?

Thanks…

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Glenn – We use a mix of Final Cut Pro and Motion on the Mac. But remember, it’s the craftsman, not the tools, that make a creation what it is – we’ve got some pretty talented folks behind the scenes here. :-)

Dr Dorothy writes:

This is the best article I’ve read about article writing by EzineArticles.com The ‘take aways’ are perfect and enough information that I do not need to spend 20 minutes listening to analogies and stories, I don’t need. Give me the bottom line and I can run with it.

Thank you very much.

Fortunately, for me I learned my article marketing strategy is on target.

Best Regards
Dr. Dorothy

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Have to say, I respect your site and have a huge respect for the original concept… however, I think the biggest problem for all involved [readers and genuine writers] is that you do not distinguish between true editorial content and advertorial.
The site has got so overwhelmed by those blatantly trying to sell their products, that the value of all articles has been significantly devalued.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Emmitt Hollin writes:

Isn’t that the truth? I keep seeing the envelope pushed on this and it is getting worse all the time.

Ashley,

Expect to see a major shift from our Editorial team this coming week and month going forward.

We’ve been fighting this good fight for years but we haven’t done enough and this coming week… We’re going to over-correct against advertorials, thin, crappy, and high-derivative article vomit content.

Each day you should see less and less crappy content being accepted.

We’re at the point where we don’t care if our rejection rate has to go from 40% to 90% as it’s clear that we’re not doing enough to keep crappy content out.

Meg writes:

This post really helped putting things in perspective. I’m just getting into writing articles now but I think I’ve got the right idea already. It seems like sharing your content is very effective when it comes to getting visitors, and that you’re only limited by what you produce. Cool stuff!

Thanks again for the insight.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Glynis Jolly writes:

My niche is disability which is awfully big. I have narrowed it for myself to looking at opinions on both sides of the fence about everyday life.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Rudy writes:

I would like to shed some light on one of the most common problems in marketing, poor spelling and grammar. I’m always amazed at the 6th grade level of writing I see in articles, blogs, and splash pages. Many are written by very successful entrepreneurs. I’m instantly turned off whenever I come across blatant spelling or grammatical errors. It’s easy to forgive a colloquial term or expression, but let’s be reasonable and professional here! Get out the spell-checker! Make sure you’re not writing “then” when it should be “than.” Let’s not confuse “your” with “you’re!”

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Lucy Muchina writes:

Great stuff, thanks. I’m new in article wrtiting and your tips are such a boost to me!

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 6:08 AM

I would love too see an article that generates 2000 clicks. I’m a new kid on the block!
Kindest regards
C. Yvonne Gavrielle

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Emmitt Hollin writes:

When I see authors with 20,000 plus articles, you know they are hiring a staff of poorly paid foreign writers. On most topics there really isn’t that much that needs to be said, but unfortunately quantity it what we need to do to be successful.

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Zoraya Tonel writes:

I am a member of Ezine since January 2010. I have two accounts and have only written 38 articles so far.

In my account under my name with 32 live articles, I have 9,273 article views, 833 URL clicks and the most happy part is I have a 9% click rate. It’s 3 times more than the average mentioned. It’s little triumphs like this that keeps me writing. I am satisfied that even if I crawled just to finish one “quality” article, I am finally harvesting my reward :) Thanks, Ezine.

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Marc,

Your videos are so much fun to watch. I like the movement of pushing away what you don’t want.
You are so right. Just a few years ago when I started writing articles, having 25 was a big deal and received lots of votes, several subscriptions, etc. Not so nowadays. There is so much more competition that it takes a whole lot more online presence to get the same amount of attention.

Comment provided February 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Dr. Goodstone – Glad to hear you like the videos. Half the battle for us is making potentially dry content fun to watch. It sounds like we’re succeeding. :-)

John writes:

Thanks for the long term view of article marketing. I guess I knew that but need to be reminded often. I do struggle to find a fresh angle to wrote on a subject that has only so much you can say about it and it’s all been said before anyway.

Comment provided February 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Mark Demers writes:

I`m very happy with how my article click through rate is doing at 12.5% , i hope i can keep this rate up while i implement my article marketing strategy which is just to write at least one high quality article a week . To me it`s a lot of research and learning but i enjoy it — watch for my articles — I`ll try my best to make them interesting — I hope.

Have a Great Day!

Comment provided February 28, 2011 at 12:03 AM

All about the longtail baby!

Comment provided February 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Barry writes:

I equate thinking big with thinking long term. Writing is a craft that needs to be practiced. It can’t really be rushed if you want good quality, so lots of practice should result in a product readers will enjoy, and overtime, the quantity we all need.

Comment provided February 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Gregory Wight writes:

Interesting and well done presentation. I especially like the evergreen content subject.

One thing that I would like to add to this is that an accomplished writer or composer can take current and trending issues and turn them into evergreen content when they think outside of the box.

Why try to reinvent the wheel?

There are ways to turn content toward a goal or theme that is relevant in the past, today, and tomorrow.

It only takes a little different perspective when creating the content, and you can still use examples of current trends or news to refer to as well as the past, as long as your ultimate goal or subject is evergreen.

I hope I am not being too esoteric.

Comment provided March 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Elisabeth Kuhn writes:

Just wondering… if I were to write 200 articles or 500 on the same topic, it will be hard to prevent them from getting repetitive, and wouldn’t that defeat the purpose?

Comment provided March 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Paypal Download writes:

Really helpfull post, Goal always matter.. without goals we cannot make things happen.

Comment provided April 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Elijah writes:

I was searching through the Google for some good resource on SEO and found your blog post about article marketing. Article marketing has more advantages and targets a broader audience. Cool info bro…

Comment provided April 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM