Have you sat down to evaluate your article writing and marketing plan lately?
You can get a ton of analytic data related to your writing efforts right from the View My Statistics section of your EzineArticles account.
At first glance, the View My Statistics section of your member account has an overwhelming amount of statistical data.
With so much data at the tips of your fingers, it takes time to sort through and gather the best insights, but it’s worth that effort because knowing which of your articles’ are performing better than others, and why, will help you write new articles with laser-targeted accuracy to the demands of your audience.
Your statistics are accessible through your Author’s Area. To get there:
- Log into your Member Account
- Hover the cursor over the Author Tools dropdown
- Select View My Statistics from the dropdown
This brings you to the Stats Dashboard, which is broken into three main sections: Article Stats, Keyword Stats and Author Stats.
The Dashboard gives an overall summary of the whole account. It’s broken into these three sections:
- Article Stats – This area gives a quick overview of all article stats. On the left is a list of total views, URL clicks, click-throughs and more. The list shows how many people read your articles. Also in this section is a graph that shows your total CTR (click-through rate) over the past few months. Then, on the right is a list of your most-viewed articles.
- Keyword Referral Stats – The middle section of the dashboard is filled with keyword referral stats for your most-viewed articles. It shows the keywords that readers used to find those particular articles. If you look closely, you can see how many times a word or phrase was used to find each article.
- Author Stats – The bottom section of the dashboard shows stats for all of the authors on your account. The graph gives a visual representation of profile views over time as well as how many articles each author has published.
Note: Keep in mind that the Stats Dashboard isn’t full of actionable data because it represents an accumulation of information across your entire account. The data that has more actionable value is in each of the individual stat categories that are accessible through the Stats Shortcuts on the top and bottom.
The first of those sections is the Author Stats section.
What you see on this page is similar information from the top of the dashboard, but it’s filtered by authors on your EzineArticles account. In other words, if you have any alternate author names, it gives you a chance to see the numbers for each individually. From here, you can upload an author image and click on Author Details to see a graph of how many people have visited your author bio.
You’ll probably notice over time that one or more of your authors performs better than others in a category like article views or click-through rate. Based on this information, you can make an informed decisions on where to invest your time.
The Article Stats shortcut brings you to a page that displays all of your live articles and stats for each. You can sort the list by clicking on the header for each stat category. This organizes the list so you can see your most viewed, most clicked, highest rated articles and more.
If you click on an article title, you’ll see a breakdown of more stats for that article, including:
- A graph that shows the article’s views over time
- A table that also displays the article view data
- A list of the links in the article and how many times each one was clicked by a reader
Below that is a breakdown of the most popular keywords or keyphrases used to find the article. This is incredibly powerful information because it tells you what terms people are actually searching for in search engines when they find your articles. Plus, it becomes more powerful the more you write and submit. With this information you can do your own keyword research and find a never-ending stream of data-backed keywords to focus on.
The Article Stats section gives a lot of that juicy, in-depth data that will help you direct your writing efforts to the right places. Keyword Stats can also provide similar information. It shows the most popular search terms used by readers to find your articles through search engines from all of your published articles.
It’s displayed in what’s called a “keyword cloud,” meaning the keywords are clumped together and the size of the words are weighted by frequency. The bigger the font of the keyword, the more times you’ve used it in an article. So this gives you an idea of the keywords you have focused on most. Depending on your writing strategy, this information can direct what keywords you incorporate in your future articles.
Using All of This Data
If you devote some time to this tool, you’re sure to find some incredibly powerful data to help you instantly boost your article writing and marketing efforts. Now, go take a further look at your statistics. Then write and submit a set of high-quality, original articles based on what you learned. As time passes, watch the results and use them to adjust your strategy. In no time, you’ll be enjoying increased readership, traffic and exposure.
Leave a comment if you have questions or comments about article stats.