Believe it or not, choosing the right category is vital to the success of your article.
There’s an old saying, “A place for everything and everything in its place.”
Surprisingly, putting your articles into the correct categories and sub-categories is a critical stage in the article writing process. In fact, selecting a category is the first thing you should do each time you start writing a new article. Then bear that category in mind as your article develops.
Today, we’ll take a quick look at why category selection is so important and then guide you through selecting the perfect category for your article.
Why It’s Important:
- Many Readers Search by Category – Many readers search by category for the information they’re seeking. Ensuring your article is in the correct category significantly increases the chances that it will be discovered by those readers.
- It Creates a Positive User Experience – This is especially true for first time visitors to our site who may be confused by a miscategorized article.
- E-Mail Alerts are Sent Out by Category – Every day, we send out E-Mails to readers notifying them of new articles published in their categories of interest. This is also how publishers find out about new articles. If your articles are in the wrong category, you’re missing out on thousands of reads (and clicks)!
With over 600 categories and subcategories to choose from, sometimes it can be tough to find the perfect one. If you’re having problems, here are a few tips to aid you.
Choosing the Perfect Category:
- Match the Main Theme of Your Article – It’s really that simple. Match the category to the main focus of your article and don’t worry about anything else.
- Look at the 30 Main Categories First – If you can find the right main category, chances are the subcategory will be a lot easier to locate within the category.
- Only Look at the Article Body – Don’t consider your resource box when selecting a category. This ensures that the category matches the content rather than the link.
- Some Topics are Quite Specific – Certain categories (Network Marketing, Currency Trading, etc.) are very clear cut, so you want to make sure all articles of those types go into their appropriate place. If you have similar articles routinely being recategorized to the same common category, this may be the reason.
- Categories Get Changed – Having your category changed by one of our editors is nothing to worry about. We don’t expect you to have an intimate knowledge of all 600+ categories. Our Editorial Staff is instructed to respect the category you choose, and should only move your article to a new category if it’s a better fit there. If you don’t agree, contact Member Support to address the issue.
Bottom Line: First review all of the categories that may fit your article. Then try to place your article in the one that best matches its main focus. And remember: There’s a place for every article, and every article is in its place!
What’s your secret to choosing the perfect category for your articles? Leave a comment and share it with the rest of the EzineArticles Community.