Our team is in relatively pretty good shape physically, but being in front of the computer all day and living in the freezing cold Midwest combined with our crappy fast food supply is a recipe for anything but being physically ‘lean’… so from time to time, I share tips with our team as a way to share what I know while putting some self-evaluation pressure on myself to walk my own talk.
Here is a copy of the email I sent our team today on the 20 quick tips to help you attract a physical state of being lean.
20 Ways To Attract A Physical State Of Being Lean:
1) Focus on daily caloric deficit… meaning, consume less calories than you expend in energy.
2) Know the power of 3,500 = 1 lb of fat rule and that the fastest you should lose weight is 2.5-5 lbs per week. Anything faster than that rate will not stay lost long-term for most people.
3) Eat 5-6 meals a day.
4) Eat breakfast.
5) Stop eating after 7pm at night.
6) Find something fun to do that is physically demanding (run, bike, swim, adult sports leagues, kickboxing, etc.) and can be done for 240-320 minutes a week for exercise.
7) Record everything you eat with a program like Calorie King.
8) Weight train after getting a physical or doctor’s clearance. Cardio is never enough and muscle burns calories faster than fat.
Know fat can’t make you fat because the body can’t convert fat into fat. Carbs can make you fat because the body knows how to convert excess carbs into fat… but you still need carbs and the “no-carb diets” are stupid because your brain can only burn glucose and you can only get glucose from carbs. No carbs = your brain shuts down… and we need your brains here at work. :)
10) Increase your lean protein intake.
11) Learn more about periodization so that you train in 2-8 week cycles that is always changing. This will help you avoid the plateau.
12) Find a buddy to train with.
13) Get a trainer to measure your bodyfat. You must know where your baseline is so you can set goals and adjust your fitness/nutrition strategies.
14) Take your “BEFORE” photo now.
15) Right before you fall asleep and right when you wake up, give yourself the treat of a 1-2 minute visualization of the body you want to create/have.
16) Deny yourself the luxury of negative thoughts. Only allow self-talk that supports your goals.
17) Setup your environment to support you. Don’t go out drinking if you know that will pack on a few thousand empty-calories. Remove junk food from your home so you can’t be tempted.
18) Try split-training where you do a morning training session before work and another session late afternoon or right before bed.
19) You will fail along the way and don’t beat yourself up. Restart each day knowing you can create the body you deserve.
20) Being lean and physically in shape with a sense of well-being is the natural order of things. If you want to access a higher level of energy in all areas of your life, you must master your physical self. Trust in yourself. Your body already knows how to be lean. Listen to it.