5 Talents Content Writers Don’t Need to Succeed

Are You Intimidated to Write?

Content writing can seem intimidating with so many talented and experienced players competing to succeed. There are high-scoring players who are skilled in churning out massive amounts of quality articles; technical players who master the game with in-depth industry knowledge; and popular players who have built a huge following of loyal fans. At times, content writing can seem like it’s one big, competitive business!

Do Not Fear!

Everybody takes a different approach. What works for some in a certain niche will not work for others in a different niche. In order to rise to the top, it’s important that you look beyond the intimidating players and have confidence to develop your own strategy instead.

Let’s take a look at some of the “intimidating” players and we’ll share why you don’t need to be one of them to succeed.

1. The Tech Guru
Intimidation: Understands search algorithms inside and out. Builds beautiful websites.
Motivation: Having a tech background has never been a “must learn” for writers. As times have changed, the technical resources you desire are more readily available. There are intuitive tools to help beginners build beautiful websites. There are endless industry-specific blogs and newsletters you can follow to learn new techniques. In addition, you can always ask for help. Ask your question on a blog. Contact the website for support. Bottom line: Don’t be afraid to ask!

2. The Proper Perfectionist
Intimidation: Never makes a mistake. Grammar is impeccable.
Motivation: Mistakes happen! While proper spelling and grammar will certainly improve the message of your writing, a mistake from time-to-time isn’t something to stress over. When you realize you made a mistake, simply fix it and move on. If you’re struggling on a regular basis, you can outsource editing services or have your content proofread by a fellow writer. Check out our Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar Revision Checklist for tips to help you along the way.

3. The Master of Marketing
Intimidation: Skilled in Internet marketing. Utilizes all marketing channels.
Motivation: There are abundant ways to spread the word about your product or service. Utilizing all marketing channels is likely not the best option. Start small and build on it. Do research and try something new. If you continue experimenting, you’re bound to find your marketing sweet spot. Bottom line: Experiment!

4. The Big Spender
Intimidation: Has a personal assistant. Outsources writing. Buys fancy tools.
Motivation: If you have a passion for writing then you already have the most important tool in the business. Your efforts will be based on genuine, hard work and not merely influenced by the size of your wallet. You will have direct control over the content you produce. There won’t be mistakes made by others on your behalf. Ultimately, those who attempt to buy their success will not prevail as genuine efforts garner bigger profits. Bottom line: Be genuine.

5. The Social Media Superstar
Intimidation: Networks on all channels. Has tons of followers.
Motivation: Networking and socializing while promoting your work can help gain exposure, however, social media can be a big distraction and it will eat up your time if you’re not careful. Instead of being extremely active on all networks in attempt to gain followers, consider which single network is best-suited and most-used by those in your niche. For more tips, we recommend you check out these 10 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid. Bottom line: Be strategic in networking.

Rise to the Top

No matter what others are doing or how well they’re doing it, have the confidence to write. Don’t worry about what others are doing in the game, focus on your own abilities. Everybody takes a different approach and your own achievements are what truly matter!

Do you have any tips for writers who may be intimidated to write? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below.

Great advice. I totally agree.

Comment provided October 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

David Croucher writes:

If you’re here writing on EzineArticles, then you think that you have something to offer! So grab that something, learn any additional skills you need, and be the best you can where you are good. You might be able to expand your sphere later, but first focus on getting known for ONE thing, and do it well. The rest should follow.

Comment provided October 1, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Emily writes:

Without technical ability, with content alone, I have made a site that quality clients come to from searches. Almost five years every day of a lot of expert content on one subject some people are very interested in, identifying myself as the author, participating in comments: These are the necessary items Google looks for. The site has some graphics, which Google also looks for. And that one subject admits of concepts about consciousness, too, which is another draw, but that’s minor.
You keep at it, you have expertise in it, and eventually you are recognized. But without advertising, without SEO or buying links, or any of that stuff, you can do it. I did pay a company to set up the Word Press blog the way I wanted it.

Not only can you do it, but when you do it this way, you have ONLY visitors who are sincerely interested in the subject, visitors who are likely to share. Why? – because THEY found YOU; you did not solicit them.

When you write this much, this often, you find your ‘voice.’ You have a distinctive style of your own. I write scholarly and philosophical content in the vernacular (the way I talk), and punctuate it for that, trampling on quite a few rules.

Years of effort that isn’t rewarded very well are involved, so your site, your effort, has to be a labor of love.

It helps if you type fast. (I was a court reporter for 25 years.)

Comment provided October 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Hung Pham writes:

I have learned English for a long time, up to now, writing skill has been a weak point of mine.

I want to write something, however, I don not know what I write, when I start… I still fear, but I do not know what the fear mean.

Comment provided October 1, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Outstanding experienced tips. But in my opinion, practice makes perfect as well. Combining the above tips with lots and lots of reading professional article will not only enhance your article writing skills but also will enhance your English knowledge as well as flood your mind with different article writing ideas, different article structures, new idioms…etc.

Comment provided October 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM

Haytham,

You are correct, practice does make perfect. Thanks for your insight!

Content is still king. Why be afraid if you have something of valuable to share.

Comment provided October 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Emily writes:

In the seventh grade, laid low by the flu, I decided to write poems. I scribbled away, figuring the first 100 poems would be garbage, and stuffed them under the bed to take fragments out of them later.

Scribble away, publication be damned. Leave it in a shoebox. Revisit after you have forgotten, and take out the good pieces to use as material for something you will let the world see.

The point is: Practice. For Your Eyes only gets you there. Try it.

Comment provided October 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Emily,
Great advice! Thanks for sharing!

vicente writes:

Your blog is a perfect manual for me. Thanks

Comment provided October 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Affiloasis writes:

If you’re not much of a writer who may be intimidated to write, one easy way to write fast, is to get a Dictaphone and record conversations between you and a partner on a particular topic. Often it’s much easier to talk about a topic than to write about it, and one hour of conversation can yield around 40 pages of content! You could even find an expert in your field and interview them.

Wish this could help you and cheers!

Comment provided October 4, 2014 at 12:29 AM

David Croucher writes:

A great idea, Affiloasis! The ‘interview an expert’ ploy is a backbone of online marketing, but not to be disdained just because it’s used a lot. The conversation, whoever with, can be put onto paper quickly with Dragon Dictate (though you need to add identifiers for who’s speaking manually). In my experience, recent Dragon versions (I have v10) are pretty accurate as long as each speaker knows to enunciate clearly. Almost all of the errors fix quickly in Word’s spell and grammar checking, and a lot of those are non-dictionary words like names, anyway.

The script can then be scanned for good content ready to build an article (there’s a template for this).

David martins writes:

One of the hardest things on here ,is to follow advise.
There are many different ways to do your writing and grammar.
And making some of these interesting and relevant at the same time is difficult .
I think a little fun needs to be brought back into writing and not to make it so arduous.

Comment provided October 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM

David martins writes:

And i think you are correct on what you say, grammer seems to be king.

Comment provided October 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Emily writes:

When I contribute, it just disappears. I get emails of comments but when I click on them, they are not here. The widget is wounded.

Comment provided October 7, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hi Emily,
Sometimes it takes time for the comments to post to the blog. Are you now seeing your previous comments? If not, I suggest clearing the cache on your Internet browser and reloading the page as you were likely seeing a previously saved version of the link. Let us know if you need further assistance!

Emily writes:

Yes, I see them, except for the ones the widget would not let me back to when it did not register an entry. By the way, for my eyes, in many of the capchas, there is not enough contrast to see the characters. I just click for another one until one is bright enough.
Is it just me?

Salihu S Dikko writes:

One has to be vast in practicing. Practice, practice what one wants
, what one does not have, but one needs it, until one becomes perfect.
secondly, don’t give up and don’t allow some body else to make you give up.
Thirdly, work hard. I use to know that hard work does not kill, rather, it grooms you to be a grate achiever in your area of concentration.
And this why, since 2012, when I arrived at EzineArticles and to date, I do not allow any thing to discourage me or send me parking from Ezine. Beside, I talked to the support team to edit my articles and assist me to get a website. But, none of these has hold any water yet. Yet I am still hooked to ezine, and keep supporting and submitting articles to ezine, because I know that one day, every thing will be over once and for all.
Fourthly, do not be in a hurry to be rich or to be too rich. This act of wanting to be rich in a hurry or to be too rich in a hurry, makes you crashed eallier than planned by you.
Regards.

Comment provided October 7, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Emily writes:

You have a ‘voice’ already, Salihu!
I came here to say this to writers who want to develop skill. Two things:
(1) English as a Second Language classes do exist. Not just in the U. S., either: I have clients who went overseas to teach English to nationals of several nations. Google this; it’s probably all over the internet.
(2) This is my idea. Buy a simple interesting book (Hemingway’s writing would be good. So would Alexandre Dumas) AND buy its audio counterpart. Play the audio book while you follow in the written one. Do this until you are in ‘reflexive mode,’ when you are in a light trance. Reading does that, you know.
When in that trance, your subconscious mind will connect the sound to the words, and that subconscious connection will come out when you write.

I have not done this myself, and cannot say for sure it would make a huge difference, but it can’t hurt, and it’s got to help some.

As a matter of fact, why don’t you make a business of this? You are interested in it. Put the routine together, and sell the classes. Take books out of copyright (like the two I mentioned), make videos (half an hour each) that align the audio with the printed word, and break in with comments of your own every once in a while. Your personality will help sell them.

Obviously, you can do this in person wherever you live. There is a market for this: Every one of my clients who is teaching English as a Second Language classes has the money for international calls to consult with me!

Dragon Speak seems to be popular; it must work well. The suggestion to dictate to it, and then see the corrections on a word processing program is a good one, I would think. Open Office is a FREE word processing program that I use because it is intuitive, and because it saves work automatically.

There are English as a Second Language text books too.

Here’s to your good life.

NK Haz writes:

Cool ! I would love to share the valuable thoughts with friends and colleagues.

Comment provided October 8, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The normal and the best thing to always do is: read,write,read and write interweavingly,till the two hard to get used be becomes part and parcel of you, there and then, you attend to perfection.
Some people around you may want to derail your efforts,openly or secretly. Which ever, the bottom line should be never give up. Keep focusing at the end result always. Focus,focus and never never give up. Only people with weak and fake mind give up, especially very easily.

Comment provided October 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Randy Coleman writes:

I never knew how tough it would be to write an article. Wow. I have had to edit and resubmit 4 times. Hopefull I will get published this next time.

Comment provided October 10, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Hi Randy,

Article writing can seem tough in the beginning for many authors. Don’t get discouraged if you have errors in the beginning; you can learn from each of your mistakes.

Be sure to review our Editorial Guidelines (http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/) to ensure you have a firm understanding of what can and can’t be placed in an article. In addition, you can always search on this blog for more information. There are plenty of great resources!

Stay positive! :)

janet writes:

Thank you for the tips and valuable explanations combined w advice/hints … I am so terribly new to eve
ry single thing tech and its taken me five years to encompass my loves and plan the engagement party … now … should I have romantic garden style or do Vegas … ?????

Comment provided October 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM

janet writes:

… hi david … pls clue me in on “many different ways ” to do grammar outside of the right way and wrong way … are you hinting at license and is there a permit, coz I will add that to my lazy arse excuses stash .. *wink

Comment provided October 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM

David Croucher writes:

I think that David M. means ‘style’, Janet! But it IS true that there’s correct grammar and incorrect grammar. Correct grammar is generally recognized by literate people to be clear, to avoid possible confusion and to read aloud smoothly and as the writer intended (pauses in the intended places, for example).

But David also asks for writing not to be ‘stuffy’ – I agree! That doesn’t come from ditching the rules, though, but from using them flexibly and with skill. Ditching the rules is commonly called ‘freedom’ – but it actually binds the reader, making the job of reading hard and confusing (and too many people find it hard enough anyway). The writer gets freedom from bothering to learn how to do the job properly.

It’s a bit like jokes: it’s been often said that all humour comes from someone’s hurt, and there’s a lot of truth in that. Following the joke ‘rules’ minimizes the hurt while maximizing the humour. But ‘practical jokers’ drop the rules and go the other way – the more the hurt for the victim, the better the laughs for the ‘joker’, while others wince and look away embarrassed. So don’t be the ‘practical joker’ kind of author, whose ‘freedom’ to ignore grammar comes at the expense of your readers.

The very best writers know the rules thoroughly and, rather than break them, bend them into creative brilliance. Yet the reader finds their work to be clear and unambiguous, easy to read and so interesting that it’s hard to stop reading. As an EzineArticles author, you presumably want your articles to be read to the end, circulated and – you hope – go viral. So use the help on this website to entice readers and make their reading a joy.

David,

You make a great analogy here! All of your points are valid in how to write in a way that follows the rules and is interesting for readers.

You’re very correct that you want to write an article that others will want to circulate.

Thanks again for your thoughtful insight!

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The most paramount aim and objective of every human being on earth, before now, now and in the near future is to be called or considered a grate achiever, and to attain that height, the human being must maintain certain qualities. Chiefly among these qualities, are planning, organizing, motivation, focusing, hard working, not giving up etc…..
Now, all other qualities aside, I want to talk small on GIVING UP: which is considered, the main pillar of all the rest qualities.
You could have good plans, well motivated, well organized, very hard working and constantly, maintaining focus, but all in all,before your desire or aim is achieved, you may end up giving up, which ends, every thing you have being putting in place. As such, never, never give up on your planned or desired. Sometimes, things may go wrong or go against you unprepared, unwanted, ill wished etc…. not with standing which ever happens, hold it to chest and to self, that you will never give up.
When you give up, you erased every thing you have being harboring and labored for donkey years in a wave of hand. When you give up, it means, even before, you are not qualify for it, it is just that you were just where you were not suppose to be. Giving up qualifies you as a weak matured person, but still with a baby heart. It goes further describing as a person who will receive awards in future, when people who easily give up
will be awarded by nobody, but by your very self, which no one recognizes,but may be your immediate or close relations. And it is only giving up that must let you regret your action and continue to live sorrowfully forever for that singular act. And that state on itself, may bring about health problem. Space may not permit, but INSTEAD of giving up, you step aside, which means, you will still come back to it. And when you come back to it, you will do much better and much faster.
To round itup, in a nut shell: NEVER YOU GIVE UP. NEVER give up, because, it will do you no good.
Best wishes.

Comment provided October 11, 2014 at 5:18 AM

Dinesh Kumar writes:

whenever i write in English, i hesitate because of word problem. The problem is not only mine it is the problem of millions so could you give some tips for it.

Comment provided October 17, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Emily writes:

Dinesh, please see what I wrote in reply to Salihu.
Briefly, English as a Second Language classes exist and are very useful.
Secondly, I suggest trying this: Buy an audio book of something interesting and simple. The stories and Alexandre Dumas, and the stories of Ernest Hemingway are good examples of that. Buy this book in audio form, AND buy it in written form. Kindle would be an easy way to do it, I think. Play the two together, and follow the printed story listening to the audio.

Sometimes writing becomes boring because you’re forcing yourself to do it. If you’re about to write and the ideas flow, make sure that you pen all at that moment. Once it stops coming, stop writing and take a rest or better still take a walk.
Few hours later, more ideas and information will flow; make sure you also pen it down. It is best to have a dairy so as the ideas flow jot them down and continue whatever you’re doing. Before you know it, within few days you’ll be able to come out with quality information that will captivate people.
Words problem is one of the major obstacles to us the new writers, but to me I prefer simple words that could fit in easily in my grammar.
And I also make use of dictionary when writing, You can do it if I can even write a sentence one could read.
Let go of fear and doubt, saddle up courage and pick up your pen; there are more than you can imagine up stairs.

Salihu S Dikko writes:

When you read, and be reading all most all the times you may have within you to use, always jot down small points to be expanded when your writing time is up. Now, the jotted points, as taken one by one or one after the other, good ideas will be surfacing for you to use, by simply and easily joining them together, and before you know it, sentences, paragraphs and chapters are made out by you and for you.
As at the time you are busy reading or finding it hard to read, you wouldn’t know that your head contains some of the good ideas you are now dishing out in addition to the already jotted down points.But,one thing that will allow you go this far, is completely avoiding GIVEN UP. Do not even allow it to settle or remain in your head or in your mind, wipe it off. Think less of it, and don’t even considered it worth doing. But, of course, you can step aside. Stepping aside, means, you are fed up for the time being, but that no matter, how long it takes, you are still coming to it.
Of all the words, I have in my head, Given Up, is the last word, and even so, it is not written completely, so that, each time, I am about using it, I should always get it wrongly written, and when I get wrongly written, it means, it will not be applicable to me.

Comment provided October 19, 2014 at 5:33 AM

htsashok writes:

Exactly you are right, i readily agreed with your points. Always content is King as a content writer i would like to share something with you all at first when i starts writing a content i did many mistakes and lot of draw backs in my content and its leads to failure. After a long struggle i have learnt and still learning about content strategies which gives competition in this latest trend competitive world.
Anyway thanks for sharing.

Comment provided October 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM

life quotes writes:

there some problems when writing some contents but if you know good exactly what you are writing, you’d write good content.

Comment provided November 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Jason Wyrosdic writes:

I really liked this article and all the great comments and feedback, this is good for business information. I do appreciate Ezine for all they do.

EzineArticles are the best articles online. Again thank you for your service and great business, keep up the good work.

Comment provided December 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM

One thing to know is that; every genuine business starts with a slow and steady pace and often drudgery and cumbersome. Do not allow doubt and fears discourage your inner willed mind. Always believe that you can do it if others have made it that far. A thousand mile starts with a step, and success is a learn-able skill.
Any one that has passed through challenges in life have something others should know. You must have passion for it, and never allow others success story intimidate you. Let your mind settle because agitated mind contains only doubt and fears.
Be bold and brave; learn from the successful ones for they have gone through this road before you.
Always ask questions whereever you have doubt and never be MR know it all. If you really want to be a good writer, always give out your works for critiques.

Comment provided December 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM