10 Things You Need to Give Up Before You Can Succeed as an Expert Author

It’s Time to Let Go

Does it seem like there’s a wall between you and your ability to succeed? Are you sure it’s not you?

When it comes to success, we can be our own worst enemy.

Today, I want you to read this list and truly consider, “am I doing this to myself?”

For each point that you are, I want you to write down the last three words of each point that applies to you:
“Let _____ go.”

Post each phrase in a location where you will (consciously and unconsciously) see it as a daily reminder. Rewrite it every time you start feeling procrastination creep in or those negative thoughts niggle at the back of your brain. Look at your note and say it out loud – use it as a mantra to reframe your thinking and begin working positively on your writing goals.

You can do this. Ready? Of course you are! Let’s begin.

10 Things You Need to Give Up Before You Can Succeed

1. Letting the criticism of others get to you.

“You’re no Shakespeare” or perhaps you’re not the best writer in your niche. So what? You know the progress you’ve made and everything you had to do to get to this point. Those critics don’t. Don’t let the negative opinion of others stop you from doing exactly what’s best for you. Keep on writing! Let criticism go.

2. Thinking failure is a bad thing.

“F” isn’t something we want on our reports and writing portfolios, so I don’t blame you. No one wants to fail, but isn’t failure an indication of having tried? Let go of any shame you perceive in your failures. They do not equal your future. It’s your willingness to try and dare to fail that allows you to achieve success. Let failure go.

3. Vacillating on a decision.

Indecision – in business, relationships, and our writing – can lead to any number of problems (like writer’s block or 0 article views). Know what you want by setting a goal and using it as a compass in making decisions moving forward. Ask yourself, “Does this help or hinder my ability to achieve my goal?” Let indecision go.

4. Putting off things that are important.

Procrastination will get you nowhere. Waiting for “the best time to come around,” like making resolutions on New Year’s Day or waiting for the perfect circumstances (such as a quiet home or office), may never happen. If the best time to begin writing was yesterday, then the second best time is now. Let procrastination go.

5. Giving up on things you can actually control.

Take personal accountability and don’t give up because everything isn’t under your command. Sure, you can’t control everything in your personal and professional life, but you can choose to do something proactively about it that will influence positive change. For example: You may not be able to control incoming calls while you’re trying to write, but you can choose whether to answer that call. Every day presents a new opportunity to make an entirely different set of positive choices. Let unaccountability go.

6. Needing to be right all of the time.

No one is perfect. It’s okay to admit that you’re wrong. It humanizes you. If you’ve changed your stance on a particular issue you’ve already written about, it’s okay to publish a new article on your new stance and explain why. It will help you and your readers grow. Let perfection go.

7. Hiding from problems.

Have a strong flight reflex? No one gets poor marks for actively seeking solutions to a problem, so stop running from your personal and professional problems. Fight. Chances are that your readers are facing the same problems. Why not seek out solutions, test them, and share the results (good or bad) with your readers? Let hiding go.

8. Making excuses.

“I couldn’t” write that article because … “I have kids,” “I was so tired,” “I had a meeting,” etc. We hear a lot of excuses and some of them are valid! But here’s the crux: How often are you going to excuse yourself from making progress toward achieving your goals? Little by little (7 minutes here, 2 hours there), you can start taking steps toward achieving your goals today. Let excuses go.

9. Overlooking positive points.

“I only got 100 views. This is taking too long; I’ll never succeed.” Building exposure takes time. Remember that even the smallest wins are still wins. Lose this fantasy that you will be an overnight success – that’s left to the likes of Grumpy Cat – and begin building toward long-term success. Let negativity go.

10. Forgetting about your current audience.

Looking too long into that crystal ball of the future, you might envision new audiences, completely different forms of content, and much more. In your haste to attain that future, you may forget about your current audience. Marginalizing those who helped you get to where you are today will not help you succeed. Never forget to appreciate your present audience and continue to meet their needs while you expand to other areas. Let exclusion go.

What do you think should be added to this list? What else should you let go to be successful in your efforts?

Hernando Cadet writes:

Thank you for the tips, really helpful, one thing I know I need to practice is letting go of failures. Too many time have I been bugged down by some type of failure, but after reading your article, I will look at failure as a guide to let me know that I have not given up.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 10:34 AM

jenny robert writes:

Thanks for this inspiring post. Sometimes we become our own enemies by self criticism and sometimes our friends criticism disturbs our ego. Anyway, writing is not a one time job it is a full time passionate career. So i will be writing and i will try to get away from procrastination!

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM

lizzie ducking writes:

Thanks for the tips. We should not be pressed in our writing just let the words flow freely because if we are pressed, mistakes are easily made and we could lose our focus. Also think about your viewers and connect with them, we should never think that we know it all because we wear the name of expert.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Michael Wiener writes:

Tip #2 is very helpful indeed. I always think of Thomas Edison’s idea about failure; that failing the first time and even failing 10,000 times do not mean total failure, but it simply means there are 10,000 ways to do it in order to succeed. Added to that, I’ve read Napoleon Hill’s idea about failure when he said “There is no such thing as impossible and accept no reality as failure”.

Also, things like focus and bad decision can often lead to frustration and eventually quitting for some people. However, I’ve realized…if I persist on I believed what is right, focus and making good decisions will both unfold.

It’s amazingly unbelievable, but it does happen.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Nicky White writes:

I found this article extremely helpful and encouraging, especially in relation to making excuses. For the last three years, I have been procrastinating writing articles because I have a baby who is now a toddler, but last week I said to myself: I must be able to find a few minutes here or an hour there to write and I did! I wrote while having my breakfast, I wrote while waiting for the stew to cook and I swapped a few nights in front of the TV for writing. If I did it YOU can do it too!

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Great job, Nicky!

That is very inspiring. Sometimes we just need to jump in and start, then once it becomes a routine we find it becomes much easier!

~Vanessa

Gracious Store writes:

These are very good and heart warming tips espcially the idea of never small overlooking positive points. Often we tend to measure or acknowledge success only when it happens in large scale, and often undermine or fail to appreciate small gains.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

One Hughes writes:

Hi, I thought I had heard it all before but this article, to me, is so refreshing in it’s approach. Especially the last tip where it says “never forget to appreciate your present audience” and especially “meet their needs while you expand to other areas”. And as a psychic myself,the spontaneous inspiration is always appreciated and considered to be magic, thank you :-) .

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Great tips! Thank you. Always focus on the positive & throw perfection out the window.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

You’ve got that right, Kathy! :)

~Vanessa

All these point to ” Humbleness and Coolness” which is the essential feature of any successful person.
Points at 6&8 are very difficult to let go if a person is egoistic.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM

parth writes:

Perfect real example for life. Positive thinking is really magic stick, I have experienced this a lot

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Ashok writes:

Hello Vanessa,
Thanks for sharing such inspiring post. It works as catalyst not only for article writing but in real life also.

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Damion writes:

Great post, Vanessa! Needed that one..I often roll through a few of those moments an its tough, but I push through. The one about procastination is a doozy for sure..lol I write best under pressure and if I could just figure out how to create that pressure internally, Id be even more productive. I think I’ll try the “Let____go” mantra and see where it takes me^_^ Thanks again..I look forward to reading more of your posts

Comment provided March 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Fern Watson writes:

My appreciation for your simple but effective tips. You guys are an inspiration. Thank you. I am going to LET it GO!

Comment provided March 5, 2014 at 1:52 AM

PamsVas writes:

This is awesome and felt like I was reading about myself. As I would go to the next highest number, I was like “OMG, that is so me!”. I especially liked #5 and #9; so right on. Thank you for putting what I feel into professional words of wisdom.

PS: I love Grumpy Cat. :)

Pam

Comment provided March 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Ch.Ravindranath writes:

The present essay 10 Things Need to Give Up is really an experienced expert suggestion for people like me . Who may be blaming circumstances to start any work. These ten suggestions are not only about writing but any other work That a person wants to start. Really thank you very much for this.

Comment provided March 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Yeasmin Akter writes:

Thanks Vanessa for this encouragement post. Actually I’m hard worker,everyday I have to do a lot of work besides my writing. This post really inspiring me. Excellent thinking Vanessa !!!

Comment provided March 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

jenny robert writes:

You are right! Expert title does not mean enough knowledge. In every part of age we are learners and student of life and we are changing forever, That is the beauty of life!

Comment provided March 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Vanessa,

This was the best article I have received through EzineArticles or any other source! Your suggestions to keep the message before me, and to write positive actions while releasing negative ones is exhilarating! Our brains only understand the affirmative actions and so the way you recommended writing Let _____ go is powerful! Thank you for sharing!

I am posting the phrases now!

Deborah

Comment provided March 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Great to hear, Deborah!

Keep up the fantastic work. :)

~Vanessa

Matthew Morris writes:

Failure actually makes a pretty fair topic to write about. A couple of my more popular articles are about what lessons to learn from a failure and how to turn it around.

Comment provided March 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Right, so put a mirror on that wall – and reflect early and often I say. Indeed, it’s easy to see the walls that others put up around themselves, even as they close the lid of that box, and yet, one really has to stop and think to see through their own box, until then, they are stuck within it.

Comment provided March 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM

John Sheridan writes:

Thank you!

I think worrying about the negative criticism of others has me being a bit of a scaredy cat. Also making mistakes or “failing”…

At a certain I feel I have to go with the “just do it” attitude and adjust as I go along.

Comment provided March 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Zhe Yan writes:

2. Thinking failure is a bad thing.

This is really a good idea to me…..
I can not stop thinking what happened when i get failure, and this is could be the only way to use my imagination.

Comment provided March 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Great article, Vanessa. I really like the way you get to the heart of what cuts writing time and effort in half. Good information for writers.

Comment provided March 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Nancy writes:

All you’ve said is true for the individuals who can pursue the path. Opportunies for writers are not like they used to be. There are so many want-to-be writers and true writers that have the financial funds to self-publish, the poor ones sit in the back of the bus. I’ve had numerous contacts to self-publish for a fee. One or another is more or less, but it still comes down to the money. I’ve spent so much money on books, classes, how-to’s, self-published poems, internet, mailing costs for submissions, a file of rejections, I’ve tried every avenue I could think of. Children’s books, theatre, short story, poetry, web sites are vague. It’s a difficult business and I applaud anyone who can bypass the hype.

Comment provided March 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Let the procrastination go. I agree with this 100%. Most people who do internet marketing spend most of their time analyzing other peoples’ websites and not their own.

Comment provided March 29, 2014 at 8:57 PM