Meditation Can Make Your Writing Better

Something You Should Meditate On

Meditation has been cited again and again as an incredible benefit that regulates emotion (including stress) as well as improves verbal reasoning, attention span, and can even improve your writing.

Here’s how meditation can help you in your writing:

• It opens the door to inspiration and valuable ideas by unburdening your mind.
  • It unlocks your most original, true-to-yourself thoughts to provide a fresh and honest perspective.
  • It helps you objectively analyze problems and personal obstacles that can be shared with your audience.
  • It improves your memory, which can help you call up engaging anecdotes and insights.
  • It regulates emotions and helps you become more self-aware, which can help prevent writer’s block.
  • It makes you a better listener when interacting with your audience.

Ultimately, meditation helps you tap into your creativity and unlock your greatest ideas by fostering a post-meditative state that is reflective (gives thought), creative (breeds innovation), and productive (creates value).

Meditation isn’t easy – at first. Don’t feel bad if you can’t sit still for more than 3 minutes when you initially begin. It takes practice. Allow meditation to become a part of your routine and you will build momentum.

Basic Meditation Tips

To get the full writing benefit, meditate before you write. Meditation will help you become more alert and open your imagination to great value.

1. Find a comfortable and quiet space. I know, this can be a monumental task. Remember that old adage: “where there’s a will, there’s a way.”
  2. With your eyes closed, sit on the floor (or on a cushion on the floor) in a cross legged position. Rest your hands in your lap or you can choose to rest your hands palms up on your knees or thighs. Alternately, you can lay on your back on the floor with your palms facing up and feet shoulder-distance apart. This is what yogis call Savasana or “corpse pose.”
  3. Check for any tension you may be holding. Gently shake your head up and down, left to right to release neck tension. If you’re seated, allow your head to rotate forward slightly so the crown of your head is up.
  4. Breathe evenly to relax. Imagine your breath is a calm ocean wave coming into shore and receding back from the shore.
  5. In your mind, repeat a mantra. This can be a phrase, a question, a problem, or any obstacle you are trying to find a solution to overcome.
  6. Be patient and unembarrassed. Allow yourself to be in this meditative state: let go of distractions. Your solutions, answers, and ideas will come to you.

You can meditate anywhere from 5, 30, or 60 minutes. When you come out of your meditative state, don’t immediately get up or you may risk a dizzy spell. Simply open your eyes and allow your breathing to return to its normal state for a minute and then get up. If you have meditated while laying on your back, roll onto your side for a minute and then come to a seated position. Once your breathing has returned to normal, feel free to get up.

Great Articles on Meditation

For more tips and information on meditation, check out the articles in our Health and Fitness: Meditation Article Category.

Have you practiced meditation? What effects has it had on your writing? Let us know – we’d love to hear from you!

maxwell ivey writes:

Hello; Thanks for sharing this excellent post on meditation. I haven’t used formal meditation specifically for writing, but after reading your post; I realize that I often meditate on problems and concerns. I just didn’t realize i was assuming a posture of meditation. I do find that repetitive activities ar good for thought as well. I get some of my better ideas while riding my bike that doesn’t go anywhere. How do you feel about reading affirmations or other inspiring work before starting meditation. Thanks again and take care, max

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Karleen writes:

No, I have never practiced meditation, but know that I definitely need to. I have a lot of stress in my life right now and feel overwhelmed most of the time. Taking a few minutes a day to meditate would help me in a lot of areas I’m sure.

I would really like to try it before attempting to write, also. I find myself so easily distracted when I’m trying to write and usually unsure of where I’m trying to go with my writing. Meditating might help me get a clearer picture of what it is I want to convey to my readers.

Thanks for this post, Vanessa!

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Mark writes:

Good advice. I will try this is the future.

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM

It is sometimes so difficult to focus on writing. Taking some time out before starting, may make that easier. I’m definitely going to give it a try!

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Gracious Store writes:

Mediation is a very good exercise that unlocks your potentials because it helps to ward off distractions which allows you to be in touch with your inner self but above all with the “powers” greater than you. These powers depends on what you interpret them to be. Christian meditations open you up to the Spirit of God. This openness to the Spirit of God is what elevates, enhances and enriches your human powers or faculties enabling you to do things much better than you would ordinarily have done if you do not practice meditation, including making you a better writer

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Useful post.
Meditation enables mind and body to be recharged. Duration can be increased gradually after initial practice for 10 minutes.
This age old concept is the secret of practical and peaceful life advocated in Hinduism.

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Matthew Morris writes:

I actually find the act of writing to be a form of stress relief, but adding meditation might act as a multiplier.

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Mutasim Ali writes:

I practice Yoga and Meditation , but irregularly. Reading this post I have inspired to maintain this habit regularly. Though it was practiced in ancient India by Saints and Sages, now it is famous for its effectiveness.
It is effective for both mental and physical health.

Thanks for the post.

Comment provided January 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Kul Bhushan writes:

Accessing the most precious area of your being, No Mind, meditation provides you with unique insights that your mind can never imagine or visualise. Meditation helps you to percieve relationships that are normally beyond your mind. Thus, any article written by a regular meditator has the X Factor which makes it stand out.
I have been meditating with Osho’s techniques and have improved the calibre of my writing beyond my wildest imagination. Now thoughts and ideas just flow….

Comment provided January 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

R. Sundaram writes:

An excellent piece of writing on meditation. Thank you. I am a freelance writer online for the last 7 years and an accredited Expert Author in EzineArticles.com. I am an Indian and hail from a South Indian Brahmin family. Daily meditation has been taught to us as a compulsory ritual by our elders while worshiping God in the morning after bath. So we don’t practice meditation separately. I have gained a lot by this ritual in my life.
But for people who do not spend time daily like this, the universally convenient idea is to sit totally relaxed for few minutes at a place, away from the noise and buzz at home (like TV). Just sitting idle is very very difficult and only people trying to practice this will know better. However, while sitting idle, you can make the mind completely relaxed and concentrate your thoughts into one focus…that is chanting a name (preferably the name of God if u r a believer) any name, phrase or even a word repeatedly. This exercise will make your mind occupied and concentrate on a single effort and forget all other wavering as is its normal practice. As the author rightly said, there are many lame excuses one can imagine to avoid this meditation exercise. But surely if you try honestly you will achieve many things in life…particularly peace of mind, clarity of thoughts and a mental strength to view yourself from a third-man’s perspective.Positively this is true. Please try. Start slowly and increase the duration gradually every day. Best Wishes!

Comment provided January 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Mark Caulfield writes:

Great suggestions. I will plan to try this in the future.

Comment provided January 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Ricardo Henry writes:

Thanks for this meditative tip. I have always wanted to try meditating because of the GREAT insights I heard and the benefits to be derived from practicing it.

It will certainly help with generating new content for my website and well as to post in EzineArticles.

Looking forward to trying this!!

Comment provided January 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Sounds great, Ricardo!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

~Vanessa

Mark Caulfield writes:

Great article, will try in the future.

Comment provided January 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Saurabh gupta writes:

Thanks for sharing such a great information regarding Meditation. Your suggestion is great and very helpful, definitely will try this is our daily schedule. Thanks for the great article. Nice blog :)

Comment provided January 15, 2014 at 12:45 AM

ruth winstead writes:

Wow! I like this article. This has given me an extra reason to start back meditating. I was meditating every morning at one point, then stopped. I will return my focused with a reason. Thanks!

Comment provided January 16, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Hi! I’m an Indian and I too do chakra meditation. Especially I love to do third eye meditation which boosts my memory power. Before doing meditation, it is recommended to perform Pranayam techniques.

Comment provided January 19, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Mike Andrews writes:

I get some of my ideas of what to write by daydreaming. It is unintentional. If daydreaming can do this meditation should be able to do so too because it is like daydreaming but more intentional and perhaps more productive.

Comment provided January 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM