How to Prevent Article Writing Information Overload

Does writing feel like you’re sailing the wide, open sea in a dingey?

A new Expert Author recently admitted to me:

“I have so much to learn from … I sometimes [feel like I] could be suffering from article information overload.”

I get it. Internet publishing – article writing, blog writing, etc. – is constantly evolving. It seems like every time you get the hang of things, the rules change.

The fact remains: content is king. Of course, all of the content in the world won’t do you one bit of good if you get lost in all of the information about content marketing strategies that crash into your little boat.

If …

• you’re first starting out and want to prevent overload,
  • you’re up to your neck in information and unsure what you should do,
  • or you’re in over your head and are about ready to give up …

… then you definitely need to read on.

7 Overload-Prevention Tips

• Have a goal. Do you want to achieve niche authority, increase exposure, gain traffic, or create a killer conversion rate? Set a goal to give your efforts a direction and use it as a compass to filter incoming information.

• Allow information to mature. Take it all in one step at a time. As Albert Einstein once said, “Information is not knowledge.” Allow time to absorb information, think about it, and finally convert it into your knowledge bank.

• Consider the source. Wherever you gather information, always take the source’s credibility, accountability, and timeliness into account. For the same reason we advocate originality, quality, transparency, and relevance in your own writing, look for it in your sources.

• Lean in and KISS. Keep it simple (stupid). Article writing works best if it’s simple and targets a great user experience. Start small to avoid getting swallowed up in your niche and don’t be afraid to narrow your area of expertise, since it can always be expanded later. Establish your credibility in more specific, targeted areas of your niche before taking on the big leagues and SEO will naturally work for you.

• Save time. Work smarter, not harder by eliminating – even hacking – the inessentials so you can focus and increase your value. Develop a process that includes prioritization, delegation, and organization. [Learn more]

• “Learn the rules … so you know how to break them properly.” – Dalai Lama. Discover the basics to writing great articles using the How to Create Quality Content in 7 Steps graphic as your guide. Once you’re comfortable with your own style and writing voice, feel free to experiment. [Learn more]

• Find the right tools. Break down writing barriers and get a handle on your strategy to succeed in content marketing, article writing, and much more with the ongoing resources found in the EzineArticles Toolkit. Learn more]

With any of the above methods or anything related to article writing, ask questions and then ask us MORE questions. Join the EzineArticles Blog discussion as well as Network with experienced Expert Authors on My.EzineArticles.com.

Become a VIP

When you have a question, concern, or would just like to run something by our Support team, get a response faster than ever by becoming a Premium Expert Author. With Premium, our Member Support Team experts will help you navigate the article writing waters quickly and smoothly with greater speed than any of our free membership levels (even Diamond!).

For a limited time, you will get 10 exclusive article templates free with any Premium subscription length of your choice. Sign up today at http://EzineArticles.com/Premium/ and use this code: NEW10PREM

What tips do you have for fellow Expert Authors who are battling information overload? Let us know – they’d love to hear from you!

This is something that provides valuable information on boosting my writing rate. Being a VIP means that you know well your question and you are capable to explore about the same everything. :)

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

DAVE writes:

I suffered from writer burnout. I wrote articles and blogs for people on Fiverr. I got to a level two seller writing as many as eight blogs a day. Major burnout for under forty bucks a day. I uit and moved to Utah in the woods…Now I make money collecting rain water….

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Luckily i dont suffer from information overload, but i can imagine the stress in tiny niches. Become more and more of an expert in your niche, so that you can have alot of things to write about.

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

davidinnotts writes:

A valuable list, Penny. Can I add an eighth, breaking the ‘go in 7s’ rule of thumb?

Set Time Aside
for your article planning, writing and editing. It’s so easy to become distracted either by multi-tasking or by the urgent (phone, new email). Set yourself a target total time per day, and make WHEN you do it flexible, so that you can factor in other needs and allow for emergencies. Use a count-up timer, and stop the clock each time you’re distracted. Reward yourself when you reach target, and don’t be tempted to work till you’re stale.

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Great addition to the list David. Thanks! :)

~Vanessa

Great post. A strategy that has worked for me is to “learn one skill, master it, then move on to a next one. The great thing about this strategy is that one you master one area it requires less of your time.

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Jose Fuentes writes:

Being a writer for an SEO agency, I find it hard to concentrate on the topic. I cannot really make a bank of information since I am switching from one information to another. I have to unload myself after writing the information about wrought iron works when after two hours I need to work on testosterone therapy. I have to rely on available resources, scrape the idea and write it as my own.

Very good strategies here today, folks would be wise to listen and take action on these principles.

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Gracious store writes:

One can really get overloaded with information especially for anyone starting off newly in online business. Your suggestions are very good steps for one not to be overwhelmed with the amount of information you get from the web. I agree with your quote from Einstein, it is important to allow the information to mature, when it does you will be able to sieve out what is irrelevant from what is relevant, and gradually use what is relevant to you to build your brand and authority in the internet

Comment provided August 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Jose Fuentes writes:

As a freelance writer for an SEO company I find it hard to really bank on the information that I am gathering everyday.

Comment provided August 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM

parth writes:

Good stuff but really it would help me a lot? when i go for VIP member what is more relevant? i have some how many articles live in EzineArticles

Comment provided August 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Hi Parth,

Congratulations on having some articles live on EzineArticles! Signing up for a Premium Membership could be the key you are looking for. Here are some of the benefits of Premium:

1. Your questions to our Support Team will go to the head of the line and will be addressed rapidly. So, anytime you are struggling with getting your article approved all you have to do is contact our knowledgeable Support Team and they will help you work out any issues.
2. Your articles receive priority review, ahead of even our Diamond members!
3. Flexibility to schedule your article release.

The list goes on, to read more of the benefits please visit: https://ezinearticles.com/premium/

~Vanessa

Sachin Goyal writes:

Hi friends,
I found it very informative and useful post. That is this post. And i want this post to keep going.

Great Post. :)

Thanks….

Comment provided August 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Neeraj Kulkarni writes:

Great information there…or is knowledge the proper word. I often get so much information, sometimes for free that I get overloaded with it and ultimately not doing anything with it. By setting goals it will definitely help us to keep on track and finish the task which we have set for the day. Moreover, today, there are so many distractions that if you go google search engine and type something you will find a lot of pages. There will be youtube videos too since Google now owns Youtube. So, once you start watching youtube videos you will never know where you will end up at the end of the day.

Thanks for this great post.

Comment provided August 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM