Guide to Entertaining: Writing Informative Content with a Creative Twist

Take Time to Be Creative

Anyone can have the perfect setup to entertain with the hip “this” and the trendy “that” to please guests. However, most parties will fall flat if your heart isn’t in it because you’re too distracted by achieving perfection. It’s a hard lesson, but we all learn it:

You’re not going to please everyone.

Once you get over that hurdle, you’ll relax and allow your creativity to become the driving force behind a party that will be remembered for a long time.

The same is true for writing. Anyone can write a litany of information, but that content is dull and uninteresting without creativity. It’s a great writer who can channel their creativity by taking a simple topic and adding the details readers love to make their writing engaging, compelling, and downright entertaining. Let’s face it, a water glass with an umbrella is a lot more fun than just a water glass.

Being Creative Is Better

One half of writing is information, while the other half is creativity. It’s creativity that delivers results because it:

• Makes you human and relates to readers.
  • Increases your article’s ability to be amplified.
  • Attracts visitors to your website and keeps them there.
  • Channels your passions or interests so it’s a lot more fun to write.

How to Be More Creative

Creativity needs focus and distance. There’s a perception that writers must wait for a creative fit of genius before they can write. If you’re like most writers, these creative fits are few and far between. The reality is that it takes practice, dedication, and the right environment to focus on your writing. In turn, this focus will train you to constantly see through a writing lens. First, harness your creative power by breaking your writing process into 3 stages:

1. Brainstorming
  2. Writing
  3. Editing

Each stage helps you organize your thoughts, shut up your inner critic, and apply creativity every step of the way. As you execute the stages, take a bird’s-eye-view by giving yourself and the topic a little distance. This will help you:

• Increase your ability to problem solve.
  • Be more objective without being emotionally detached.
  • Vary your approach from a variety of angles and perspectives.

5 Creative Exercises to Be More Entertaining in Your Writing

Once you’ve established your topic, you can inject a little personable creativity with the following strategies:

• Read: Read everything – from literature’s best to the latest news. By reading, you’ll notice stylistic trends, storytelling methods, and much more that you can try out in your writing to find your engaging voice.
  • Compare: Attempt to compare opposites. Consider angles like before vs. after, monochromatic vs. multi-color, with the latest technology vs. without, etc. This will help you realize different solutions to various problems.
  • Age: Channel your inner child to be more imaginative and ask all of those basic “why” questions. Alternately, consider approaches of older generations and ask the same “why” questions through the lens of the shared experiences of each generation.
  • Diagnose: Consider not the symptoms, but the cause of a topic and then find a solution for the cause. An irate customer, for example, is a symptom. Pinpointing the symptom’s cause, such as a poor product or customer service, will help you remedy the issue.
  • Rebel: Go against the grain with an angle that benefits readers. Consider a different stance by being the devil’s advocate and rebel. “5 Reasons Why Justin Bieber’s Platform Is More Successful Than Yours,” for example, goes against the inclination to dislike Justin Bieber for generations above the age of 25.

Likely the most common form (and most successful) creative exercise you will find is descriptive reflection. Either through brainstorming or daydreaming, allow yourself to think of past personal and professional experiences. This could include sage advice (e.g., “My grandfather once told me …”) or new realizations. Recall or think of hearty and hardy specifics and then reflect back on your topic, pulling the engaging details that will bring your reader home.

Set yourself apart from other writers by being more creative in your original writing approach using the above tips. You and your readers will find it much more entertaining and rewarding.

How are you creative in your writing? What exercises do you try to be more creative? Share them with us in the comments section below – we’d love to hear from you!

I found that one of the best ways to put a creative spin on an article theme which is been “done to death” is to research the article theme in Google and then look at the prevailing direction most articles are going and… write about the opposite direction.

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

If you can’t be a creative person be ready to add “Copywriter” in our name and not that coveted “Writer”. It is creativity that defines your expertise and presentation style. A nice post realizing the same. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Mike Rana writes:

Have published a couple of articles on EzineArticles, of serious nature. Now Preparing a manuscript for a book. Will EzineArticles editors oblige by editing this book ? Or is there anther service that EzineArticles can recommend

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hi Mike,

I see that our Member Support Team has recently addressed your question. I’m sorry, however we do not offer book editing services at this time. We also are unable to recommend one.

~Vanessa

Schalk Lubbe writes:

Hi Mike
You can find lots of good editing people in Elance. It’s free to post your job on Elance, and you are likely to get proposals from a dozen or more people to do the editing for you.

Emily writes:

How to be creative.

Mainly, get out of yourself. At least 90% of psychology is self-interest. Show me a proponent, or an opponent, and I will show you the ox that is or might get gored.

Get above that by any means. Get drunk if you have to. See something from its own perspective – for instance, ask yourself how your desk feels about the room. Whatever.

An objective viewpoint often, to me, has a sardonic sense of humor, since it is violating self-interest – everybody’s self-interest.

Government is supposed to be corrupt because it always has been since the cave days: That is an example of getting out of your own perspective.

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

No, but seriously, Penny’s right!

Do whatever it takes to stand out from the crowd, like a glowing neon stick in a night club…

Be controversial, or if not, then find a certain angle that wasn’t exposed yet.

Say, for instance, that you write about UFOs (yeah, I’m a SciFi buff) – try to ‘populate’ them with people from Atlantis, for a change, instead of aliens…
See what I mean?

Cheers,
~Steve

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Lisa M Leonard writes:

I thrive on humor. It’s great medicine and a wonderful way to engage readers. I love giving my writing a flair, and humor comes naturally to me. Making people grin, chuckle, and sometimes howl with laughter is one of my favorite things in life. That and helping them learn to laugh at life’s unexpected turns. Let’s take those lemons and set up a lemonade stand!

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

We agree Lisa!

Humor is by far the best medicine. You’ll be interested to know we recently touched on this on the Blog. You can read more about this here: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2012/09/how-to-add-humor-to-your-articles.html

~Vanessa

Randall Magwood writes:

Lisa good point. I think when humor is used correctly in articles it can really nail the point home, and also build a quick bond with your reader. I also like to add humor to my articles when i can, as it helps me to be creative and stand out in my prospect’s mind.

Rob Wilson writes:

Really good article, and good reminders on several fronts. I’ve found that writing from the heart without pretense is when I get the most response from readers. Not always easy to do – it means sharing things that may be uncomfortable to me, or to my wife (a tough editor if there ever was one.) But whenever I choose vulnerable over safe, it connects a lot better.

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Gracious Store writes:

Thanks for these guides for creative writing. Creative writing is one of those skills one acquires by writing. It doesn’t come very easily but with constant and steady effort, one can master the art of creative writing

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Zahra Saleh writes:

Creative writing is not every one’s piece of cake but rather it is a talent gifted to only few of us.
Having said that I am sure writing can be improved by gaudiness and learning improvements. And as you mentioned a right environment, right mindset and having a enough resources sets the scene for a good writing.

Comment provided June 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Mike Rana writes:

One wonders if creative writing requires intensive contemplation, or extensive glance at things. What comes easily when one is half asleep or drunk, is deep ideas, but deep ideas are against being creative ?

Comment provided June 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Russell Loland writes:

I am a fairly new member and for the most part learning from the great articles that have been sent to me regarding different categories of travel. As the art in articles speaks for itself and as a Travel Sales Affiliate and Global Social Network Owner I have enjoyed being able to use two EzineArticles and will use the training tips to write and to choose good content from our free membership that we will feature on our homepage and throughout our site. If putting the message down in a shorter form, as opposed to explaining too much is only appropriate in certain occasions I am probably guilty of being long winded. This condition might be due to my deciding to complete a Bachelors Degree at age 60. In conclusion I’d like to thank you all for so many great articles and training sent to me and it will help to form good decisions for my New Travel Social Network which has been live for less than two weeks.

Comment provided June 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Donna Mitchell writes:

I love to look at things outside the box and many times find humor in unusual areas. Please check out my web site at articles i have published.

Comment provided June 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Creativity is the key.
Thanks for the training.

Comment provided June 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

ahsan hassan writes:

Brainstorming,writing and editing.These words really flashed out my mind for crafting creative content and by supporting readers with authentic information,Thanks

Comment provided June 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM

joshua writes:

I truly agree with being creative when you write but I also believe its about being yourself that helps readers connect with writer

Comment provided June 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Richard Eaves writes:

I agree with this line “Creativity needs focus and distance”. It’s just something that can’t be forced. I also agree that reading different materials helps you become a better writer.

I also agree with Lisa that humour is a great way to keep audiences engaged.

Thanks,
Richard

Comment provided June 28, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Katrina writes:

I like to try different angles and add some ridiculous puns. My quirkiness drives people from my blog to my brand. I also try to vary my content to target different types of readers and broader search terms to pull people in.
Recently I wrote a diary entry by my front loading washing machine as a new angle for the LOADS of washing that adding another baby to the family makes.

I also used to teach English in secondary schools and I try to come up with topics other people would want to write about as well as read about.

Comment provided March 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Schalk Lubbe writes:

I have always considered myself to be very uncreative, and until recently my writing has always been technical, where absolutely no creativity was needed.

To aggravate my position, I grew up with a distinct dislike for humour – I considered humorous people to be shallow. My favourite saying used to be “You won’t read in the Bible that Jesus ever laughed. Cried, yes, but never laughed.” This belief, which I had for over 40 years, has embedded it so deeply into my consciousness that I find it extremely difficult to write in any other way than matter-of-factly.

So you can see that I seriously need all the tips I can lay my hands on, and I’ll use this advice in my future writing endeavours. Thanks for sharing them.

Comment provided March 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Edi Soelianto writes:

creativity is able to provide benefits to the reader, is a challenge, and defeat the purpose of the challenge is a great writer.

Comment provided March 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Alan To writes:

Lisa, this is a very good article. As a regular contributor to EzineArticles, I always try to come up with a new spin whenever I sit down to write a new article. As somebody pointed out here, humour is a very good way of injecting a little spice into your writing. The personal touch goes a long way to enhancing the enjoyability factor of an article. I tried this strategy with my Kindle book, HAMMER HORROR REMEMBERED, and it seems to have gone down very well with my readers.

Comment provided March 15, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Frank Gainsford writes:

Thanx for a great read on the issues associated with creative writing.

I enjoyed the way you made things so simple and easy to digest.

Comment provided April 2, 2014 at 6:50 AM