Article Writing for Mobile: How to Speak to On-the-Go Readers

Write Mobile-Friendly Articles!

Searches on smartphones and other devices are way up, which means people are more often than not looking for a quick answer to their question.

How do you write an article that speaks (or rather “reads”) to these readers?

Do just that: expertly write content that delivers their answers quickly and informatively.

6 Mobile-Friendly Writing Tips

• Eye-Catching Titles

Your titles should be transparent, relevant, descriptive, and maintain brevity. Target title length from 65-70 characters to avoid truncation, and use the Long-Tail Method to distribute keywords evenly.

• Compelling Summaries

Do not skip writing an engaging article summary that targets the reader’s benefit – their need or want. In your summary, clearly describe the main point and benefit of the article, as well as your unique value proposition or what makes this article better than the rest.

• Strong Introductions

Get to it! Don’t dance around your topic in your introduction. Provide a relevant attention grabber, your unique value proposition, and a call-to-action that compels the reader forward.

• Eye-Guiding Headers

Help readers find information quickly by using bolded headers as anchors of information. Think of headers as miniature titles for every unique point, step, or tip.

• Succinct Lists

As much as you can, consider using ordered or unordered lists. Lists are easy to read because they require the author to be succinct as well as help show the reader where one point ends and another begins for easy scanning.

• Link Relevancy

Readers question an author’s credibility and click away if the links to the author’s website do not relate to the article topic. Ensure link relevance by writing about topics relevant to your niche to provide a common thread by carrying your article topic through your entire submission to your website.

The mobile market is growing. Seize this opportunity by ensuring your articles are ready! Want more mobile-friendly article formats? Get the 52 interactive Article Templates on PDF package for great topics formatted in lists, headers, and more.

How do you make your articles more mobile-friendly? Do you have any additional comments, tips, or questions you would like to share? Join the discussion in the comments section below – we’d love to hear from you!

Ilia writes:

The Mobil market is really growing,because mobile use are simply and much people are using it for practice life,when they are in somewhere, maybe in a street or in a cafe,car, magazine or other and are so intensive developing it technical support updating all day and coming new and new Mobil.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that you have to have 2 versions of your article- one for mobile and one for regular search? This almost seems to be the case.

Thanks :)
Margo

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Tony writes:

Great article. Mobile readers want to read information quickly. If you are a blogger, i advice to have a seperate mobile site with less content then the desktop site. More work, but more pleasure and…conversion. Thanks.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Cynthia writes:

What is the word count for Mobil article writing?

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Sorry, but I don’t see how the advice above differs from how you would write an article geared towards normal (i.e. non-mobile) audience. All your articles should have eye-catching titles, compelling summaries, eye-catching headers, etc.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

I have friends who use their cell phone to access the internet alot, and one of their main complaints is that the information on websites aren’t clear and cohesive. I think the steps in this post are quick and straight to the point, and are exactly what people are looking for when they use their phone to access the internet.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

CH James writes:

I think a well-crafted title may be the most important tip in this bunch.

So much mobile use boils down to sifting through piles of summaries, headlines, and short bursts of info; even more so than “traditional” web browsing. There is a major need for strong, succinct headlines if you want to grab the ever-fleeting attention of a mobile-user for more than the blink of an eye.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mary Segers writes:

Great tips. Every time I try to use the “eye-guiding headers” tip during submission the automated system tells me that you do not accept articles with bolded and/or repeated keywords.

Since the keywords are only in the article 3 X in a 600 word article I know that isn’t too much because I’ve done it many times before. So, the only problem your system could be referring to is the bolded headlines.

I simply cancel it and publish it elsewhere. Sure wish your system didn’t do that but I guess I DO need to diversify my links.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Mary Segers writes:

Oh, and the keywords would not be in those bolded headers.

I still love ya’ll.

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Vijay Khosla writes:

Basically, an article is an article!
Whether, it is used for mobile reading or not, the style and content matters a lot.

Vijay

Comment provided April 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM

There is no much difference in writing for Computer and Mobile users excepting the latter group expects the shortest form.

Comment provided April 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Seb Brantigan writes:

The above does make sense, also I think separating sentences more helps mobile (and iPad) readers to read the information slightly easier.

So for me, I like to think about how easy my article is to read when I’m on the go and I’m reading it with a smaller screen.

Seb

Comment provided April 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Tony writes:

The Word Count is about 300-350… @Cynthia

Comment provided April 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hi Mary,

We do allow HTML in your articles in order to create bolded subheadings. The key here is to use HTML sparingly in your articles so as to not take away from your message. If it is excessive the system will prevent the submission of the article.

~Vanessa

Comment provided April 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Gracious Store writes:

This is a good layout for eye catching articles

Comment provided April 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

packers and movers delhi writes:

Mobile Internet revolution has already begun and with picking up of smartphones this is going to a further leap. Once you are able to grasp the psyche of mobile users you need to create content for this category of users in the manner it is preferred by them. However, one thing that comes to the fore is mobile users don’t have much time to spend reading lots of content.

Comment provided April 21, 2013 at 5:18 AM

packers and movers ghaziabad writes:

Because mobile content occupies and has less space it needs to be even crisper and eye catching. :)

Comment provided April 21, 2013 at 5:28 AM

With a wide spread of Mobile Internet usage, it’s yet another great opportunity for any person enthused to reach mobile phone users by means of online articles. It’s without doubt this article has highlighted the topic. Indeed, writers will be informed to take advantage of the opportunity by writing their articles based on their websites promoting affiliate product.

Comment provided April 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Maddy writes:

Nice tips to write a perfect article for mobile. If anyone fulfills the above listed techniques then he/she attract users and also can enhance readership of his/her blog.

Comment provided April 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Zensilver writes:

I actually use 5 of these techniques to repurpose my content and get more promotion from them. I used to turn my articles into Youtube videos, but now I just speak from off the top of my head, and create my videos that way. Great post.

Comment provided April 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM