Avoid Becoming Irrelevant: How to Create Your Expert Author Identity

Use the Power of Branding in Your Efforts

As more and more big brands, offline brick and mortar businesses, online entrepreneurs, professional writers, and other organization representatives discover how article writing and content marketing is a must in any online strategy, your risk of getting lost in the shuffle increases greatly. How can you ensure your success?

Begin forging a validated Expert Author identity to increase your ability to be ranked higher (and seen by readers) today!

What does validation mean? It means absolute transparency, added relevance, and branded consistency across your platform to seamlessly help readers (and search engines) connect the dots.

Validate your expertise in your niche by shaping your Expert Author identity with the following checklist.

Your Expert Author Identity Checklist

• Your Author Name

Give your byline the love it deserves by treating your author name like a brand. Let’s say your Expert Author name on EzineArticles.com is “Sam E. Smith.” Ensure “Sam E. Smith” (and not “S.E. Smith,” “Sammy Smith,” “SamLove08,” “Sam Smith,” etc.) is transparent across your entire platform. Say goodbye to posts attributed to “Admin” on your website. Ensure all of the content you publish (e.g., articles, website posts, and guest posts) clearly identifies you as the author by using your author name on your website, your Facebook page, your Twitter account, your Google+ account, your blogs … everywhere.

• Your Author Photo

Take a little time carefully selecting your author photo. If you have the resources, invest in a professional photographer for that extra polish. Alternately, stage your own photo shoot with a friend or family member. Give the photo a little polish by using a photo-editing app. In today’s image, I staged a photo shoot with our very own Product Marketing Manager, Marc, in under 5 minutes using an iPhone – it’s that easy! Similar to your author name, use your author photo across your platform.

• Your Email Address

Set up an email account that uses your domain name. Why? Some folks feel a personal email address is too unprofessional and you don’t have a vested interest in your platform. Is it necessarily true? No. Should you still do it? Yes, because you’re more likely to succeed if your reader or visitor is positively focused on your message, product, or services rather than your personal email address. You can always set up the email from this account to forward emails to another account.

• Your EzineArticles Expert Author Profile

Have you completed your EzineArticles Expert Author Profile? Use the How to Complete Your Expert Author Profile Infographic as a guide to upload your Author Photo, write your biography, list links, and more. In doing so, you will increase your reader’s trust, drive more traffic, build your Expert Author identity, and foster search-engine relevance by reinforcing your brand.

• Your Website About Me

Include an “About Me” page on your website or blog that features your author name, Author Photo, company or organization history, achievements, awards, etc. Also, give your visitors an easy opportunity to connect with you by featuring alternate methods to contact you (e.g., contact form and social media). Use this information across your platform for a branding boost and message consistency.

• Google Authorship

Don’t have a Google+ profile yet? Sign up today. It goes without saying that if you want to be the life of the party, you have to be in the room first. Tailor your Google+ profile to your Expert Author identity and include all of these checklist items. Once you have a complete Google+ profile, get on the Google Authorship fast track by building a solid Expert Author identity.

Don’t lose hope! You can and will increase exposure by coordinating your article writing efforts with the power of a quality article portfolio and a solid Expert Author identity.

What do you do to increase your transparency and create your Expert Author identity? Let us know in the comments section below – we’d love to hear from you!

Paul Kemp writes:

You’re absolutely right, I should do a long list of things to build credibility. Correct insights about the solutions to problems are not given the weight they deserve unless we present them in the proper frame that ensures social acceptance.

That’s the way the game is played, so I might as well get used to it. I do want my ideas to be heard and considered seriously by enough people to make a difference. I also want to be compensated what I believe I am worth, so I’d better get on it.

But seriously, thanks for the useful tips.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Crackethill writes:

I have recently learned about Google Authorship and has since setup my authorship profile on Google plus.
Thanks for the additional information.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Setting up an email with your domain is very important, but be careful when you forward those messages to another email address. You may accidentally “reply to” an email from the wrong inbox.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Great tips as usual, as for me, I do try to use my own domain name, photo, Author profile would do with some improvements, love the infographic idea. I do use “About Us” but then again, I think this is something that would do with some improvements.

Google+??? I think I need to pay attention on that, got an account, but with many social networks competing for my time, I feel I need to focus on FB an LinkedIn, will be factoring G+, it’s necessary!

Thanks for the tips again.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I like the picture on the phone. Wow!

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Rosalinda,

He is a handsome fellow, isn’t he? :-D

Marc

Yes, he is. A blessed day! Smile all!

Avinash Joshi writes:

helpful tips for novice authors.
great keep it up.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

A K Whitehead writes:

One thing I do is to attempt to find out from you where 70/80 of articles previously uploaded and accepted have gone but, having sent you three emails about this I have had no reply. I do n ot fancy spending all that time again if they were to disappear again.

Comment provided February 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

A.K.,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having an unpleasant experience. You should be hearing from our Member Support Team on your very first attempt, so your experience is highly unusual and may be due to some other problem. I will personally forward your concerns to our Member Services Team and ask that they respond via email immediately.

Marc

todomolierees writes:

Your means of explaining everything in this post is genuinely pleasant, all be capable of without difficulty understand it,
Thanks a lot.

Comment provided March 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

When we have to post Twitter Feeds quite frequently it is extremely important that these do not turn boring. Every time these are posted should be just catchy and “Influencing”. Nice post :)

Comment provided March 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Rudee writes:

We are in the process of creating a new blog site and one of article I want to write is my story. Relating to your audience is key. Yr tips are well taken. One need to build credibility.

Comment provided March 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Mike Rana writes:

if Google is listening ?? Think why FB and Twitter and Linkedin are popular.

Their interface is user friendly, no clicks at all.

Their texts do not have extra line spaces

Their phographs a re smqall but expandbale

You see a alot on onepage and you can interact. (Timeline excluded, and FB pages excluded)

Comment provided April 3, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Alexander writes:

Thanks for this great insight.

Comment provided April 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Kurt Abela writes:

Is it posssible to do authorship using the rel=’authorship’ rather than the email with the domain name as some people (including me) don’t have an email with a domain.
Thanks!