Are You Connecting with Your Audience? 5 Tips to Write Compelling Articles

Grab Hold of Your Audience and Keep Their Attention By Providing Expert Advice That Resonates

If you’re simply writing “for” your targeted audience without fully grasping how to engage them, then you may be missing an important component. After performing the strategic research, you now know what your audience wants to hear, but do you know how they want to hear it?

Writing compelling articles and motivating readers to truly become vested makes a tremendous difference in activating your call-to-action with terrific click-through power.

Showcase your expertise and intrigue your audience with these article writing tips:

Write Compelling Articles With These 5 Strategies

1. Appeal to Emotions

What drives you? What do you feel directly before you take action? Desire, fear, hope, and flattery are examples of common emotional appeals. A desire to succeed is an excellent foundation to keep in mind while writing articles. Readers are searching for information from you to succeed in their niche. This is where big picture thinking comes into play (i.e., seeing the entire perspective on a topic, situation, or issue). How do you use this notion to attract (and keep) readers? Add a bit of spark:

Standard title: “5 Article Writing Tips”
Emotionally charged title: “Get Your Articles Read: 5 Powerful Writing Tips to Succeed”

2. Use Power Words

Let your audience know you’re talking to them! Power words, such as “you” and “your,” engage your reader and make them feel unique and singled out. The Internet is utilized by hundreds of millions of people every day, so making your readers or the visitors to your blog or website feel welcome in a personal way is essential in ensuring they return.

Standard text: “In order to become a freelance writer, one must practice in their free time as much as possible.”
Powerful text: “Do you want to become a freelance writer? Practice as much as possible during your free time to achieve your goal!”

3. Answer Potential Questions

As an Expert Author and a commander in your niche, you’re aware of any possible inquiries your audience will have in response to your message. “What ifs,” will inevitably cross your readers’ minds. Don’t leave them hanging! Answer those potential queries and bring up possible objections within the same piece. This will gain their trust and also exhibit your credibility on the topic. For example, if you’re writing about finding time to write more often, a prospective reader might automatically object (cue Sweet Brown’s “Ain’t nobody got time for that!”). Sooth any objections by proposing how easy it is to schedule time during free periods of their day because the rewarding benefits they will gain will far outweigh their doubts.

4. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat

Repetition is key! It takes the typical person about three weeks to form a habit. You have a minute percentage of time to ingrain your message in your readers’ memory. Integrate your desired theme and your key take away (WIIFM) several times throughout. For example, begin your text with the sentiment, “Practice writing in your free time as much as possible,” and end with the similar notion, “Be sure to use your free time wisely by practicing your writing as often as possible.”

5. Stay Short and Sweet

Repeating your message doesn’t mean being verbose or derivative! We naturally process information best in short, manageable chunks. Long, drawn-out paragraphs become overwhelming and the direct message is lost in the shuffle. This doesn’t mean your style needs to be brusque (“succinct” doesn’t mean “brash”). Be concise and thorough to be efficient. Provide your audience your expert opinion in reasonably sized passages or numbered lists to keep them interested and wanting more.

For the best results, discover how to identify your readers and how to turn your audience into clients.

Do you use any writing guidelines to keep you in tune with how to stay connected to your readers? Let us know – we’d love to hear from you!

Paban Bhuyan writes:

If possible, we must participate with every comment we get in an article.. It increases the visitor’s interest to participate with the website and help us to gain attention..

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Replying to comments you get your articles is not only a great way to show your readers that you’re interested in their thoughts and opinions but also it helps show the search engines that you’re article is “relevant” and therefore should be ranked higher. I used to have a blog and the only article that has any PageRank with Google is the one with 25+ comments.

Paban Bhuyan writes:

Wow that’s good! Let me ask you one thing. I have a blog where I discuss about “Box Office Collection of Hindi Movies”. I get nearly 300 visitors everyday from Google without any link building or any other seo promotion. Visitors of my website never leaves comments except the spammers. I post atleast 3 articles everyday (250+ words) .Will I be able to get pageranks for my website?

Patricia writes:

Enjoyed your article. It’s amazing how different words may have the same meaning, but cause a different emotional response.

While I always try to provide valuable content in my articles, I do try to engage by asking questions. I also ask readers to share their ideas on the topic being covered.

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Stephen Monday writes:

Learn how to “weave” every sentence you write into the next. This way, the copy is almost impossible to put down. All of the “great” Authors know how to do this; it simply takes practice, and patience.

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Lee writes:

I like the “weave every sentence … into the text”. An excellent and unique way to put it.

Writing your first draft as if you are writing to a single person you care for & then editing it to make your article look more professional. There’s nothing more engaging than feeling like the article is speaking directly to you.

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Jose Quintero writes:

Is true the message needs to be Short and to the Point, otherwise you might confuse readers about your main objective.

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Question: Can anyone comment on our articles, or do they have to join EzineArticles…

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Anybody can comment on your articles.

Marc

When I write an article, especially to promote my business advantages – I keep in mind the purpose of writing one – transfer of knowledge to the reader.

Comment provided February 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Rudee writes:

Stay Short and Sweet is the key. Most people do not read everything no matter how interesting. They seem to scan over the information. I can put a big sale on the home page and maybe only 10% see it. It is short and to the point in large letters. I find it is hard to get people to actually read what is on your page.

Comment provided February 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Robin Ashmore writes:

I am big on short and sweet. I find if I look at some blogs that are just too long and have no or little information why I googled it I leave right away. On the other hand I like blogs or articals that have a lot of information as long as it is to the point of what I was looking for.

Comment provided February 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

With havin so much content and articles do you
ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
My website has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d
genuinely appreciate it.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Sadly, there is no way to prevent plagiarism or copyright infringement. The best you can do is pursue the individual offenders through the website manager and/or ISP and ask that the content be removed.

Marc

Gracious Store writes:

These are great tips I have not been using in my articles. I often do not address my articles to my audience by using the pronoun”you” in my articles. But this article has given me a new perspective of why I should use the pronoun “you” in my articles as a way of addressing my audience.

Thanks so much for this

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Kathleen Clohessy writes:

Good tips, BUT..I am a firm believer in the time tested adage that emphasis should be created with strong, well chosen wording rather than exclamation points…Each one of these sentences would have been just as strong-and less distracting-without the exclamation points at the end.

“Practice as much as possible during your free time to achieve your goal!”

“Don’t leave them hanging! ”

“Repetition is key! ”

“We’d love to hear from you!

Just a thought…..

Comment provided February 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Cory writes:

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

Comment provided March 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Stella Oefinger writes:

I love using bullet points and headers for different paragraphs. This works well with Type-A personalities since they usually scan articles. Most business leaders are Type-A’s.

Comment provided January 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM