“Who Is My Audience?!” Top 7 Steps to Discovering Your Ideal Audience

“Stop wasting your time writing articles your audience isn’t interested in. Build exposure, increase credibility, and create incredible value for yourself and your audience by writing articles your audience wants to read and share.”

Sounds reasonable, right?

You sit down, ready to channel your value into an article, but there’s a catch … you don’t know who your audience is!

Use these tips to discover who your audience is and how you can open the door to new audiences.

Top 7 Steps to Find Your Ideal Audience

1. Who Are They?

From family to customers or clients, identify each segment of your current audience.

2. Who Do You Want?

Identify new segments that you ideally want to add to your current audience. Consider their obstacles or their needs that prevent them from deepening their involvement with your platform.

3. Create Profiles

Create a persona for each of your audience segments. Consider demographics, hobbies, professions, needs, wants, troubles, knowledge, perceptions, and common goals. Identify what value you’re able to tailor to each segment.

4. Find the Hard Truths

Ask, survey, etc. Find out what attracts your current audience to your platform and what’s holding your ideal audience back. Is it not knowing everything that’s available to them? Is it because they don’t think it’s for them?

5. Join Your Audience

Research, network, and subscribe. Gain a strong footing in your niche by understanding how others in your niche are engaging with their audience. Identify the buzz they create, what they write about, and how they engage with their audience (e.g., social networks, newsletters, tweets of recently published articles, etc.).

6. Engage, Engage, Engage!

Start engaging, commenting, and writing useful content that solves problems, answers questions, and overall provide interesting topics that are being sought out by your audience.

7. Uncover Search Terms

Use your 5 Traffic Search Terms to find out how your current audience is searching for you as well as how new audience members find you! Continue refining these terms to write new articles as you work to find and refine your audience.

“Knowledge is power.”

Knowing the above top 7 tips will help you strategically plan all aspects of your platform, not just article writing. Consider who you are, how you create unique value for each segment of your audience, and what informative solutions you can offer for their benefit. Give your efforts power with these tips to deepen your current audience’s involvement, increase and diversify their participation, foster their loyalty, as well as open the door to new audiences.

Did you know Premium subscribers get up to 30 top Traffic Search Terms?

Non-Premium members (i.e., Basic, Basic Plus, Platinum, and Diamond) only receive the top 5 keywords readers used to find their articles. With a Premium subscription, you will get up to 30!

This added intelligence allows you to:

• Integrate rich keywords into your article titles to reach audiences.
  • Incorporate targeted keywords into your Resource Box to increase your search power
  • Refine keywords and articles to help you precisely find your ideal audience.
  • Achieve a competitive edge in your niche with the added intelligence!

Upgrade your EzineArticles membership with a Premium subscription today: https://EzineArticles.com/Premium/

How do you tune in to your audience? Share your comments or questions – we’d love to hear from you!

Murray Glick writes:

“Gain a strong footing in your niche by understanding how others in your niche are engaging with their audience…”

This is a first-class idea! I’m going to search out our competitor’s articles/blog posts they write about to better understand our blog’s current and potential audience.

Comment provided January 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

These are good tips to remember.

Number 5 is a great idea.

Defining your audience is key to your success!

Comment provided January 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

This is good advice with the exception that one might be writing articles to get the audience interested in something new. To do that it takes repetition and introduction to new ideas. If one always focuses on what the audience perceives it wants, then everyone begins writing the same thing and taking the level of convesation down to the lowest common denominator which is what is happening right now with social networking online – everyone is talking about the same old stuff to the point that innovation and nuance isn’t. Then someone comes up with something new and it goes viral, why? Because people inherently are missing that in their life as the Internet and content is moving towards the Borg and not towards the very change, innovation, and forward progress everyone “claims” to want.

Therefore, I agree that focusing on what the audience wants is relevant to “selling stuff” to them, but to stand and out and be the best you are going to have to break out of that shell, think around the box, and take your audience with you as you go to the next level in your own endeavors. Think on this concept – it’s different – and it is definitely not what you expected to read on this blog, but I made you think today. See my point now?

Comment provided January 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

With these 7 steps, it should be a no-brainer for people to find a good niche to market in. Even if you’re already in a niche and are doing “ok”… you could still probably carve out a smaller niche than what you have now, and make more money by targeting these new group of people also.

Comment provided January 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Gracious Store writes:

It is not always easy to clearly define one audience, it takes sometime and effort

Comment provided January 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

KM Lee writes:

Absolutely agree with you that the key to successful article writing is write something that people want to read. Thanks for sharing the 7 steps here! :)

Comment provided January 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Abhi Desai writes:

This is great idea. I like to know more about how to get the conversation rate up.

Comment provided January 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Jarvis Emerald writes:

Putting to use now. Thanks.

Comment provided February 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Mark Herdman writes:

The content of your article in genius, I am just starting my own blog and u raise many points I have not even addressed in my first few posts. I might have the knowledge but unless I address the points you have raised I may find I’m not engaging my audience. Thank you very much

Comment provided February 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Melanie Avery writes:

Great article and tips! Definitely valuable and worth implementing!

Comment provided February 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I like #3 on your list (creating a profile). This is what they call an “avatar” and what I’ve been working on lately as a marketer. Your marketing has to speak to who you want your ideal customer to be. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Comment provided February 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Pramod writes:

These 7 tips are really great, and personally I do agree building contents for your audiences can have great impact for related customers to our Website. If you value your audiences, Search Engines values you :)

Comment provided February 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM