Time Is of the Essence: Reach Your Audience When They Want to Read Your Articles

Before you ask yourself “why aren’t people reading my articles?!” consider this:

Are you writing what they want to hear? If so, are you arriving too late to the game?

Here are some easy, timely article writing tips to ensure you’re spot on with your audience and on target with your goals.

“Who is this for anyway?”

As obvious as this first point is, it’s easily forgotten: Who are you writing for? Your motivation (above all else) should be to meet the needs and wants of your audience. Set aside at least 30 minutes for a brainstorm session to consider the following questions:

• What are your audience’s most pressing problems?
  • What motivates them?
  • What do they want to know and why?
  • What obstacles are they facing?
  • How can they fix it and reach their goal?

“Okay, now what do I do with the answers?”

• Capture your reader’s attention by applying these elements to the title, summary, and introduction.
  • Answer these questions within the framework of your article.
  • Bear these elements in mind when you are brainstorming and always think: “What would your reader do?”
  • Tie in your USP (unique selling proposition) with your CTA (call-to-action) in your Resource Box by providing additional relevant resources, products, or services that may help the reader more easily reach their goal.

“We Serve Fresh Articles!”

Originality is more than the article being unique to you. It also means it’s fresh to your niche. Staying up-to-date with the latest events and then showing your readers how those events impact them is a great way of becoming a timely, authoritative source they can rely on. Subscribe to news topics, newsletters, pages, etc. Follow sources on social media and always consider how an event impacts your readers.

“Strike it while it’s hot!”

Hot topics have expiration dates – don’t sit on an opportunity to write a timely article! Beat other experts to the punch by being the first to provide informative, quality content for your niche’s readership. This also may include improving your article drafting-to-publishing turnaround (i.e., the time it takes to write, edit, submit, and publish an article). Don’t arrive too late to the field because you spend several days drafting an article and then let its timely relevance expire in an editorial review queue. Inspiration strikes? Roll with it and write it.

“Isn’t the question always a matter of when?”

Find your audience’s “prime time.” Monitor your website’s traffic as well as seek out informational sources about the dynamics and demographics of your audience. For example, if Tuesdays are high-impact days for your social media accounts (i.e., when your audience is most active on that platform), then promote your articles on Tuesdays! Experiment, survey, and gather data to find out when your audience is more likely to read your content and then publish it when it is most likely to succeed.

Next time you set out to write your next articles, bear these above tips in mind to reach your audience when they want to read your articles. In doing so, you’ll increase your credibility, exposure, as well as increase traffic back to your blog or website.

Make reaching your audience more convenient for YOU!

Our Premium Membership Scheduled Article Release benefit allows you to publish your articles when you know they’ll be most effective. Scheduling your articles also means you don’t “dump” them on your most loyal readers, which could potentially reduce the traffic you receive from them. This Premium benefit also allows you to target your article release to the best time for your niche, which means greater exposure for you as your audience will be more likely to read your article (great for international audiences!). Premium’s Scheduled Article Release is not only more convenient, it can make a huge difference in your readership.

Click here to start scheduling your articles with your Premium Membership today.

Randall Magwood writes:

Staying on top of the marketplace is definitely a good strategy for reaching your prospects when they are “hot”. If you strike when the iron is hot, you can get them to buy the customized product that they are looking for.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Terry Weber writes:

I am an inventor and a writer and wordsmith. Therefore many of the products I sell on my website are items that I’ve invented. I invented them because I saw (by concentrated thinking) that those items are needed and have a market potential. Since my products are usually “new” in every sense of the word, many of my potential customers do not even know they need them. Therefore I have to explain the problem they have and then show them how my new product can help them live better when using my new product. This is what I call “pioneering marketing”. I have to point them in the right direction to realize that my inventions is just what then need to solve one of the problems they have but are usually unaware of. Therefore, I must point their thinking toward the problem and the benefits and advantages of buying and using what I have invented to fill what were their “unrecognized” needs.

You can do the same by writing (talking) to them about the many benefits of what you offer can help them live a better, more comfortable or satisfying life that can then provide happier, and more contented lives in the future.
Terry

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Bob Stallard writes:

Good point Terry.
I believe the Henry Ford quotation was “If I had asked the people what they wanted they would have said a faster horse”

michael pagliarulo writes:

Hi Terry, I was glad I stumbled onto you. I am a very ingenious and creative inventor myself. Ovedr the years, I have come up with many unique and marketable products that could have been very successful. However, I also happen to be very poor. As a result, I could never hire a patent attorney, or pay to have prototypes manufactured. Is there any help you can suggest that can change my predicament for the better?

Terry Weber writes:

Hi Michael,
Be glad to try to help you. Patents are expensive ($20,000 or more) so to get around that expense you can get 1 year of patent protection by filing a PROVISIONAL Patent application with U.S. Patent office. It will cost you only $100. Go to the patent office website and check it out. Marketing a new product can be expensive because you have to find out who will buy your invention. Ezines can help you do that with their free publicity page. (after you file the Provisional of course). Ask, if you need more help.
Regards
Terry

My driving force is “So what?” If I can’t answer all the “so what?”s of a possible reader or audience member before I even start to finalise my presentation, speech or article – I should shut up, sit down and think about it!

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

This is an excellent article with spot on advice. Identifying your audience and timeliness are definitely keys to getting more reads. I also believe that a catchy title helps as well. First you have to hook them, then you have to keep them. If your title doesn’t capture their attention, it might not matter how good your article is.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Rosalie Garde writes:

And if you can’t keep up with article writing, do hire a freelance writer to keep you stocked, or purchase pre-written articles. I provide articles as a business service.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Zion Amal writes:

Thanks a lot Penny. The time used for reading was really worth it.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Joaseph Dabon writes:

I am always stumped by the phrase, “find your audience”.

How do we find them?

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Joaseph and Gracious,

The best way is to experiment. Do a little upfront brainstorming and research to define who you think makes up your ideal audience. Then write articles based on those assumptions. After a few weeks go to the ‘Performance’ tab in your My.EzineArticles.com interface and click on ‘Monthly Summary’. On the right side, you will see your articles listed and the top 5 keywords used to find those articles. Based on those numbers, you can begin to understand who is reading your articles. Use the other performance data to clarify things further. Now write some fresh articles based on that knowledge and repeat this procedure again in a few weeks. Over time you should begin to get a clear picture of who your audience is and what they’re looking for.

Another way you can learn more is to interact with people commenting on your articles, blog, etc. This can provide valuable information about the makeup of your audience.

Marc

Joaseph Dabon writes:

Ah! I don’t think experimenting is the thing. We write on subjects close to our hearts, things we are good at, have experience in or knowledgeable about.

Are you trying to tell us to experiment writing on subjects way out of our comfort zones? What articles do you think we can write at a quality and frequency that can keep our “audience” glued to us?

There has got to be a better and simple way to do it.

Joaseph,

I believe you may have misunderstood me. You want to write in your field(s) of expertise. It makes no sense to write on topics you know nothing about. However, there are a broad number of subtopics within any field/niche. For example, if you’re an expert on skydiving, you may try writing on proper equipment maintenance, little-known control techniques, and the right way to pack a chute. In a month, you notice that the equipment maintenance articles are performing best, so you write more articles on that topic. One month later, you find that your chute maintenance articles outperformed the others. Now you can try focusing on the various aspects of chute maintenance.

One key is to always be repeating the process with new topic areas to find out if there’s something even hotter than the one(s) you’ve found. Mix up your articles – write some on topics you know perform well and others on areas you think might perform well. Then keep refining.

An no, there is no simple way of doing it. Effective article marketing is an ongoing, evolutionary process.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the confusion.

Marc

Gracious Store writes:

I ask the same question Dabon asked, how do we find our audience?
I agree that article on hot topics should be written in a timely manner, it is also on you the editors to help us the authors to publish those article as soon as possible.
Unfortunately all of us have not yet graduated to be premium members . either because we have not yet written sufficient article to graduate to that level nor have the money to register for premium membership. While we are still struggling to get there, help us by publishing the articles as soon as possible.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Sanju kmr writes:

Thanks for sharing nice article about “find your audience”. it is helpful for people.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Rosalie Garde writes:

Joaseph, I think one way the article was mentioning is through analytics. EzineArticles provides analytics, Blogger does too. I often look to see what people typed into the search bar that brought them to my blog site. That shows me what topics the audience was looking for.

Comment provided January 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Rosalie Garde writes:

Are you trying to market anything Joaseph? The writing I do, which I sell, is for clients to use mostly as marketing tools. I always think about what the audience wants, why they would take their time to read it.

Comment provided January 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Pereira Savio writes:

The popular saying ‘content is king’ is known by all. However, reading this article made me understand the ways of making a content potential enough for drawing website traffic, converting and retaining them as well!

Comment provided January 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Don Hayes writes:

Hi, I look forward to everything that comes to me from EzineArticles this information is priceless and need to be bookmarked for future study. It’s very helpful for me when I am blogging to take at least 15 minutes arranging my attention grabbing title with the main keyword included. Once I got that down pat, I am now ready to proceed to the finish line excited at the finish product. I am thrilled to find my visitors are just as excited as me to read what I am doing to succeed on line.

Comment provided January 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Laura Bungarz writes:

“Finding Your Audience” is an interesting topic for me. I teach beginner (basic) computer skills for a living. The people I typically teach can’t send an email and are extremely unlikely to find my articles online (many don’t know how to surf or have never used the web before). Well over 90% of my business comes from printed ads in newspapers and the like. I get very little from my web presence. I put my email and web address on my ads and everybody that calls me says, “I didn’t look at your website, I don’t know how.”
My articles typically cater to beginner computer skills such as how to sign up for free email accounts or keeping your computer clean, which is exactly what I spend my time teaching. That said, my online audience would be the computer literate business owner that needs staff trained with basic computer and word processing skills. Chances are good they aren’t reading articles about signing up for free email accounts. But writing about staff training is not my niche and I don’t want to go down the road of teaching about teaching. I’m just not totally sure what to do. Writing articles may not be worth the effort for me considering my target market will never read them.

Comment provided January 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Laura,

Wow, that’s a dilemma. There are very few businesses that can’t benefit from article marketing but you may have found one.

One suggestion I would have would be to use article marketing as a method of increasing your credibility and exposure. Your target audience may not read them, but you can definitely use your article authorship as a selling point in your print advertising. For example: “Learn basic computer skills quickly and easily! Laura Bungarz, author of over XX published articles, can show you how.” … or something like that.

Also, don’t forget that your audience may not be computer literate, but there’s a pretty good chance that their friends and loved ones ARE. Keep them in mind as a potential target audience and gear your print advertising to them.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Rosalie Garde writes:

Case in point Laura, I checked out your website. I laughed when I saw you are in Winnipeg because I moved from Winnipeg 2 years ago. I used to do conversational english classes (for pay) with several Korean ladies. I have a very good Korean friend I would like to pass your name to. So this is an example of friends and loved ones crossing your path.

Do you do mac? I think she has a mac. She also has a lot of connections of people who might want to take classes for a variety of reasons.

I think since your training is local you should include Winnipeg in your articles if EzineArticles allows that. Make them SEO for Winnipeg.

Comment provided January 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Rosalie,

We do allow localized niche articles provided the location mentioned is pertinent to the article topic. In this case, probably not. However, it can be mentioned in the Resource Box.

Marc

Laura Bungarz writes:

Hi Rosalie,

Feel free to pass my name along, no problem.
I can do both Mac and PC in private tutoring, however my lab is PC only. That said, word processing skills are the same regardless of computer type.

Laura

Comment provided January 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Kamrul Hassan writes:

Article Marketing is a special way to present your articles to your readers. You will be presenting your ideas on a particular subject to your readers, so that those ideas are sort of attractive and thus in turn they will be wanting more from you.

Thanks