5 Resource Box Tips From EzineArticles Editors

Getting the Most Out of Your Resource Box

If part of your article writing strategy is to build more exposure for your brand, then even the most informative, quality article can fail to yield results if the Resource Box is poorly utilized.

Let’s say you’re browsing books and find two books with nearly identical titles that cover the same topic: Book A and Book B. You look at the back covers for more information: Book A provides a synopsis of the book and a few accolades from noteworthy people or organizations. Book B provides the book’s synopsis, accolades, and a brief biography of the author describing why she is noteworthy and additional works of hers that you might find of interest.

More often than not, Book B is the choice of consumers. Why? They don’t like playing guessing games and they want to trust their source of information. When that information is readily available, they will go with the informed choice.

Similarly, a reader is more likely to want to connect with a source they can readily trust and the Resource Box is the article’s version of a dust jacket. To provide you with more precise Resource Box optimization tips, I consulted the experts who are in contact with every type of article you can think of: EzineArticles Editors.

Here are 5 Resource Box tips EzineArticles Editors recommend Expert Authors practice to get the most out of their article writing efforts.

• Promise and deliver. Links are not games of chance. Links are unspoken promises to your readers: “If you click here, I will take you to exactly where I’ve promised I’ll take you.” Meet their expectations. Always direct the reader to a link that’s exactly where you promised them in the Resource Box’s context and anchor text.

• It’s all relative. The content in your Resource Box (including your links) must relate to your article. If you write about your interests, like pianos and puppetry, make sure you have links that relate to both of those interests independently. If your article is about pianos, then make sure your Resource Box touches on pianos and then links to the related piano sections of your platform (not the puppetry sections). Your piano readers don’t care about your puppetry interests and vice versa. They want information that reinforces your credibility and their trust in you.

• Don’t forget the link. You gain no ground by not providing the reader a link. Combined with a call-to-action, a clear direction to find out more about you, your organization, and your product or services can create a powerful directive for readers. Perhaps you don’t have a website; even if it’s your LinkedIn page or Twitter handle, always provide a relevant link for the reader to connect with you (e.g., your social media profiles, personal blogs, or personal brand sites).

• Keywords go in the keyword field. Avoiding clouding up your Resource Box message with superfluous keywords that turn readers off. The EzineArticles’ submission form includes a keyword field that is the perfect place to add your relevant keywords.

• Focus on your message! Forget the bells and whistles of SEO, keywords, etc. and don’t leave your readers in limbo. Focus on the message you are trying to convey to readers: your crediblity and what else you can offer them. Recall that Book B dusk jacket: Provide a brief message that shows why you and your organization are noteworthy, provide relevant products or services, and drive a call-to-action that piques your readers’ interest to visit your blog or website.

Don’t miss out on a great opportunity to connect with your readers and build your exposure. From the EzineArticles’ editorial front lines, use these top 5 tips in your next article today! Do you have any other tips you would like recommend to fellow writers? We would love to hear what you have to say. Please feel free to share your comments with us below.

P.S. Did you know you can save up to three Resource Boxes on My.EzineArticles.com for streamlined article submission? And you can get 9 more with a Premium Membership!

Nolan Wilson writes:

When it comes to the resource box, I always find that including a simple call to action, with a link, and a keyword in the link text works best. Dont try and get too complicated.

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Deborah White writes:

Thanks for this article. It’s perfect timing for me. I’ve been searching and searching for some good information on what works best for article resource boxes. Since I’ve decided to dive more seriously into original content article marketing this info came in quite handy. Thanks!

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

I hate non-relevant resource boxes that have nothing to do with the content of the article. Stuffing keywords in a resource box is not cool. Stick to the basics… they are enough to get you many clicks. Trust me.

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Muhammad asim writes:

I am really agree with your 5 points on “benefit of Resource Box” i will follow this tips and make my articles link from strong for visitors geting.

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

mikel wepp writes:

Thanks for this write-up.I ve been looking for a write-up like this to improve my web presence.Thanks once more again.

Comment provided January 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Most writers understand these tips but when it comes to implementation, they go back to the old habits. I am glad that this post has been published. It will act as point of referance. Any time a writer feels, he is deviating from the key elements, this is will surely refresh his memory.

Comment provided January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

A call to action is probably one of the most important things you can have in your resource box, absolutely crucial.

Comment provided January 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Joshua Massih writes:

As a beginner blogger I can honestly say I had no clue on what information I should put into my resource box besides my site link. So thank you for a clearer picture on what I should do next time I submit an article.

Comment provided January 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Gracious Store writes:

Thank you this helpful tip on how to use resources box

Comment provided January 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM

patricia gaines writes:

The resource box is a struggle. The name of my company is not the URL of my site. And I don’t know how to promote my company name. Do I actually need to promote my company name?

Comment provided February 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Patricia,

Not necessarily. It’s more important that you promote what’s important to you and your article writing goals. If that’s a product, then promote that. If it’s a blog or website, then promote that. Make sense?

Marc

fajar damayadi writes:

thanks for sharing, I am a begginer in ezine article. It’s very usefull. I am still confused about the resource box, and I found the solution here

Comment provided October 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Muddassir Ahmed writes:

Well, I’m a starter here. I’ve written my first article here and don’t know what to put in the resource box now. Since it’s my first one, where should I provide the reference link to when I don’t have any existing one? Can you help me with this?

Comment provided January 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Hi Muddassir,

Thanks for your message. If you don’t have a link to put in your Resource Box, you can simply include your name and a little about yourself. If you have a relevant link at a later date, you are always welcome to go back and update the article.

You can also refer to our Editorial Guidelines for more information on the Resource Box: http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/guideline/3e

I hope this helps!