The EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines Explained

Guidelines for Your Success

The EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines: They’ve been called cryptic, stringent, arbitrary, and even idealistic. In fact, even some of our most experienced authors don’t know why certain Editorial Guidelines are in place, while others may feel like they are a cruel joke preventing them from publishing content.

This is far from the truth! You are at the heart of everything we do. Your failures are our failures. Your successes are our successes. With over hundreds of thousands of Expert Authors out there, you’re probably doubtfully thinking, “Yeah, right!”

We pay attention. From our Editors to our Developers, from articles to social media pages, we pay attention. When you’re thrilled about publishing your first article, like Expert Author Helen Silverwood commented on Twitter, we are too! And when you’re celebrating because one of your articles has been picked up by a magazine, like Expert Author Laurence Bacchus excitedly mentioned on our Facebook page, we’re overjoyed!

On the other hand, we’ve also knocked that risk ball around a few times and cannot naively believe everyone who submits to is altruistic, capable of writing, or is indeed an expert in their niche. We must therefore balance freedom of expression as well as a wide-open publishing door with responsibilities to avoid unjustifiable offence and to provide appropriate protection for our authors as well as our readers and our publishers. In our commitment to providing you with a high-quality service, we level the playing field by publishing our Editorial Guidelines for all to see in order to ensure someone else’s poor quality doesn’t weigh-down your credibility by publishing on our site.

In addition, we provide the Editorial Guidelines for you to use to your advantage – not just in your article writing efforts, but for all of your efforts across the Internet. These guidelines are based on years of experience (good or bad, it’s all about discovery); truckloads of data telling us who or what was successful or unsuccessful; masses of questions, comments, and suggestions from members; and of course, laws that serve to protect us all.

The current EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines are broken up into 5 sections:

• Introduction – Before all else, original and informative value are the two characters that define quality. We describe what it means to be original and informative as well as what it’s not.
  • Article Content – From grammar to ethical practices, we outline a wide variety of guidelines that will help you raise and maintain your credibility.
  • Author Name – Your author name is the tie between all of your articles on and these guidelines help you make it transparent as well as credible.
  • Format – From titles and summaries to article bodies and HTML, these guidelines help you format your articles to be read by readers, easily republished with proper attribution by publishers, as well as picked up by search engines.
  • Affiliate Programs and Links – We understand that affiliates are a significant part of the Internet community. If you’re an affiliate, use these guidelines to build trust in your authority as an expert, not just your affiliated brand.

The EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines are used as a quality tool to ensure the articles we receive will be accepted by readers and publishers as well as maintain the overall quality of the site. Every Editor and every Member Support team member goes through rigorous training to uphold these guidelines to ensure you have every element of success on your side.

Please take a moment to review the Editorial Guidelines. Then, come back here to let us know what you think! Are there any particular areas of the guidelines that are confusing? Do you have any questions about why a guidelines is in place? Let’s hear it! Please provide your feedback below! Or, if you would like to discuss this more privately, please contact our Support team by clicking here.

Fred Fishburne writes:

I should write an article: One Reason I Don’t Submit Articles On

1. Your account has been suspended from future submissions.

But I won’t, I moved on.

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hi Fred,

We apologize for the frustration.

A member of our Support Team will be in contact with you shortly regarding the issue with your latest submission.

Randall Magwood writes:

I think the editorial guidelines are attainable to stay in line with. Simply follow the rules, put out excellent content, and treat this article directory with respect. The guidelines aren’t hard to live by.

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Zahra J. Saleh writes:

I wrote an article and sent you once but it was not released or published and I am not upset because I think my article was not up to the level or may I did not follow the right procedure for submission of articles. There is always tomorrow for everything and one must learn from his old mistakes.

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Hi Zahra,

A member of our Support Team will be in contact with you shortly regarding your article. We recommend reviewing our Editorial Guidelines prior to submission found here:

Beverly writes:

Thank you for this information on editorial guidelines
I must not forget this because writing an article can not be published if I don’t follow your rules.
I certainly will keep this in mind when writing my articles.

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I find the the guidelines to restrictive at times, cumbersome, too long, and feel if you have bad apples, just kick them off rather than having all these rules. Further, the other day I couldn’t post an article which discussed the auto industry where I mentioned the Ford Escort, and the system rejected it because you don’t want content having to do with sexual “Escort” services. I agree that such content has NO PLACE here, however that wasn’t what the article was about!

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks again, EzineArticles. I wrote the article to promote my Toastmasters club. One of the editors at the Toastmaster magazine noticed the article being discussed on Facebook and asked if they could publish it. Of course I said yes. Not only is it more free publicity, in an internationally published magazine, but I also got paid for it, $US100. This has been a good reminder to me to get back into writing articles. I have nine draft articles that have been sitting there for two long. The article will be available on the digital content section of Toastmasters site next month

Comment provided November 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

No rightful thinking person in the proper frame of his mind will blame the support team for doing their works. The rejection of articles by the team urging authors to edit and re-edit, to me and should to every body, nothing other than, drilling up that will make any person involved be come more perfect. Because, when you claimed perfection from your end, and some one says no or points to you where you lag behind, you should be grateful to go his ways.
The support team, should just look around and bring more hands with similar experience on board with them. May be, they need to double their present number, improve or increase the devices at their disposal, so that, they have enough time to rest, think much better and faster to roll out more ideas for us to milk. Thanks.

Comment provided November 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Emily writes:

For this same reason … the yellow box monster saying a story about a sparrow’s life was self-promoting; an aggressive claim my opening sentence was ‘run-on’ when it was merely long; a story rejected as ‘fiction’ when that is what is now being solicited … and so on, I just lost interest in submitting articles. Feel like a salmon going upstream past the hungry bears.
Besides that, I am writing serious articles that Ezine classifies as ‘entertainment.’ A gross insult.
I might add that every article published here got the Expert Author designation.
My highest ranking article was one on chicken soup, a recipe. Another zucchini recipe too. This fact leads me to believe that Ezine just isn’t the place to submit serious articles on things like consciousness, spirituality, how divination works, and Tarot.
Especially when quite a few of the articles published here are less than literate. I signed up for articles on ranching and got, for several years, nothing but flurries of titles on chicken coops – same authors, same lack of content.
However, a cyber-savvy friend says you put articles in Ezine to establish your copyright – that somehow it’s accepted that you actually wrote it if it appears in Ezines.

Comment provided November 9, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Hi Emily,

In looking at your account I see that you have not submitted anything for over a year, so I’m not able to assist you with the specific article you are referring to in your comments. A member of our Support Team will be in contact with you privately in order to clear up any issues.

Dawn writes:

I am confused about the guidelines for self-serving links. The guidelines say in one place, no more than two self-serving links in the body of the article. Then in another place it says there should be no self-serving links in the body or conclusion! Help! I’m really confused about this!

Comment provided July 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Hi Dawn,

We allow a maximum of 2 “Self-Serving” and 2 “Non-Self-Serving’ Links/URLs, active or inactive, in your article (which includes the Resource Box).

A “Self-Serving” Link/URL is a link/URL to a website that you own, control or have an interest in, while a “Non-Self-Serving” Link/URL will be a website that you are not associated with or have any interest in that provides additional informational value to the article.

Your self-serving links will be housed in your RESOURCE BOX, while your non-self-serving links may be included in the article body as long as they fall below the fold (middle) of the article.

There is a total active or inactive link limit of (4) active links per article, i.e.: A maximum of (2) “Self-Serving” links that you have a relationship with and a maximum of (2) non-self-serving links.

We recommend you view the following short video: