Top Ten Article Writing Tips

The Best Article Writing Advice You’ll Ever Receive

You are our top source of information. That’s why we recently asked the EzineArticles Expert Author community this question:

What was the best piece of article writing advice you’ve ever received?

First, we collected loads of encouraging, motivating, and enlightening responses. Then, we selected the top ten that are paramount to your success as an Expert Author.

1. You Have to Start Somewhere!

“I was told just to write. My heart would do the rest and I would learn professional tips along the way … My writing pathway is now clear and moves forward … into the future.”
Sandy Giles

“Just get started writing. Writing leads to more writing. Lethargy leads to no writing. The choice is yours.”
Dr. Erica Goodstone

2. Find Inspiration and Encouragement Everywhere

“Take a cue from your children. When they want something, they will tell you directly with excitement, smiles, and motivating words and actions.”
Terrance L. Weber

“‘C’mon, can’t you write a bit more?’ – my partner used to say this to me and it ultimately helped me to overcome procrastination :-)”
– Frederik Kreijmborg *

3. Find Your Groove and Motivation

“I’ve found that setting the mood helps … Of course, you have to research your topic, outline your story, or know what you are talking about, but once you’ve settled on the basic gist of the content, you have to get your mind in the right place. Crank up some mood music, light some scented candles or some incense. Take your laptop into the park. Do whatever it takes to control your settings so you are at ease, then let the words pour out. This is where the best, most fluid content comes from.”
Miriam B. Medina

4. Offer Solutions

“Just offer what can be done to achieve what has been a challenge, provide a solution, and make readers’ lives easier. In a nutshell, you help them win and you will win!”
Rahman Mehraby

5. Don’t Forget the Importance of Your Title

“Titles are incredibly important! Don’t give away the article in the title, but deliver in your article what you advertised in your title.”
Shirley Slick

6. Keep it Concise

“The best advice for me was to keep my paragraphs under 5-sentences.”
Lance Winslow

7. Writing Is a Multi-Step Process

“First, think about the problem your readers want to solve. Second, think about at least 6 ways the problem could be solved. Do the research. Third, think some more about the several ways there are to meet the reader’s needs. Fourth, sleep on it. Fifth, start writing with excitement and enthusiasm. Sixth, put it away and then do the editing tomorrow. Seventh. Done!”
Terrance L. Weber

8. Allow Yourself Time to Review and Proofread

“Writing and editing are two different ‘zones.’ It’s not always easy to seamlessly transition from the creative storm that came up with all your ideas to the fine-tooth comb you need to make sure those ideas are clear, cohesive, and error-free. If you take the time to step away from a piece of writing and come back later for a final edit and review, you WILL catch mistakes you missed once you’ve given your brain time to refresh itself and relax … A better piece of writing is always worth the time.”
CH James

9. Allow Your Articles to Evolve and Learn From Your Mistakes

“Come back to the article in a few months to see how it is performing … A great article evolves over time.”
Scott Bateman

10. The Ultimate Words of Wisdom

“(1) Keep it simple, (2) less is more, and (3) do it now.”
Jeff Herring

Want to contribute your own article writing advice? Click here to add your insights to the best article writing advice forum!

View next post
View previous post

* This post was updated on November 18, 2013 at 8:55 a.m. CST.

Jeff Herring writes:

Congratulations Dr. Erica Goodstone on making the Tip 10 list, coming in at #1

Proud of ya!

~ Jeff

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

To make your writing easy always: think, think, think first. Delay the actual writing until after you have “slept on” it overnight. Result: you can write with excitement that is obvious and interesting to your readers!

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Al Williamson writes:

Thank you for a timely pick-me-up.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Clayton Mwaka writes:

Thanks. Quite informative.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Ryan Thorr writes:

Thanks for sharing this information, I can especially relate to tip #9.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I have had several wonderful pieces of writing advice – I once told my publisher, Sarah Ban Breathnach, that I would never be the writer she is. She told me I wasn’t supposed to be; I was supposed to be the writer that I am.

A friend in the publishing world told me (after reading my ms.) to “Just get it out there.”

Then there’s Stephen King’s advice that he wrote about and that’s to write with a specific person in mind.

I followed all of their writing advice and it worked! A great blessing.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Maria writes:

So many of these comments embody the ones I tell my students. As a teacher I can’t help or advise if there’s nothing on paper!

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Quite entertaining. It nice to know that a lot of
Ezine authors felt obliged to make their thoughts known.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Thanks. For a new author like us on Real Estate. This kind of input is extremely good when we start writing articles.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Obviously high class writers who are very successful in their fields. I think we all can learn some article marketing tips from these 10 tips, and all of these expert authors.

Comment provided October 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Shimaa Marzouk writes:

you can add :
11. write to deliver your knowledge to others

Comment provided October 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

John writes:

Nicely described. Thanks a lot for all these worthy tips. One must implement on his/her writing accordingly.
Cheers!

Comment provided October 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Your writing must have an obvious purpose of direct interest to your reader. Writing is easy only when you think before writing. (1) Think (2) Write (3) Polish.

Comment provided October 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM

alex conway writes:

This article has inspired me to be a better writer. I hope you continue to write on this topic and add even more original points.
Thank you!

Comment provided October 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Good writing is all about: getting to, influencing, persuading, amusing, interesting motivating, moving, getting a reaction from the reader.

Comment provided October 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Vijay Khosla writes:

Yes! the article does inspire and encourages to pen.

Comment provided October 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Aditi writes:

Hi,
I like the article writing tips that you have suggested. I like the point that you have shared of keeping the content short. A short and unique content with a good title obviously attracts the attention of your visitors. This is infact the most important point I suppose. Apart from this, I think all other points are equally important. Thanks for the share!!

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Lee writes:

Thank you for your tips. I have yet to write my first article! I have been putting it off; just procrastinating time and again. Your tip #1 : “I have to START somewhere!” OKAY, I will but what do I write about?
Tip #4 : “Offer solutions”. Now THAT will help me to get started. Thanks!

Comment provided November 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Zafar A writes:

It inspired me a lot to write.

Comment provided February 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Balami writes:

A praiseworthy collection of tips and thoughts that will entice me to write more effective articles in the future. Obviously the best writing comes from the heart and with an undying zest for writing.

Comment provided March 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Chirav writes:

it inspired me!
thanks

Comment provided April 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Thank you very much indeed for your useful tips about article writing.

Comment provided May 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Terry Weber writes:

As you write, imagine you are in a conversation with just one of your readers. Try to “hear,” in your mind, the verbal response and questions about what you said. Now, answer those questions with clear, short words. Another reader may ask a different question. Respond to that question with a simple fact filled reply. Try to spread the light of understanding in as helpful a way as you can.

Comment provided May 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Md. Ziaul Hoque writes:

As an old man I am excited to write some articles and trying to collect perfect advice and hopefully this important tips will help me.

Comment provided May 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Md. Ziaul Hoque writes:

It inspired me so much to write.

Comment provided May 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

aisha writes:

wow, this is very informative post. Thanks

Comment provided June 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Michael T. writes:

This was a great post and valuable tips. I could share a couple as well:

– Give Your Readers What They Want

– Create Content With a Specific Purpose

Comment provided June 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Tracey L. Moore writes:

I thank you for these tips. Very good information. One thing I’d like to add is to include lists with bullet points where possible. It makes the article user friendly and helps people to hone in on the information they are looking for.
Tracey L. Moore
Author of Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth

Comment provided July 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

peter writes:

I like the first tip-just write.I am not a natural writer, but if I “just right”, I find the creative juices start to run eventually!

Comment provided July 15, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Rizwan Ali writes:

This is excellent information all about articles
Thanks a lot for this nice sharing

Comment provided September 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Offering solutions is one of my best article writing strategy that having working for me for 4+ years as an article writer.

Comment provided October 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Haider writes:

Appreciative …
Very True

Terry Weber writes:

Try to visualize this: When writing, see yourself sitting alongside of your reader. Position yourself as your reader’s “assistant buyer” – you are there to help make a decision that helps your reader solve a problem. Help your reader see the benefits clearly. Be on “his side” as you help him make his own decision to do what is best for him. Don’t sell, instead – offer to help him decide.

Comment provided October 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Just followed the instructions from expert writers here and finished the 1300 words article in exact 48 minutes.

Comment provided December 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Alan To writes:

Some very good advice here. Well done.

Comment provided January 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Worli writes:

Great Share! I usually follow Google Alerts and various others online community to know the latest buzz and getting the idea to write new articles.

Comment provided October 12, 2014 at 6:14 AM