Top 5 Warning Signs of a Bad Content Writer

Does Your Content Writer Have Your Best Interests in Mind?

In a perfect world, everyone has the ability to write, the time to write, or the desire to write. For authors who don’t necessarily have a good grasp on the English language or simply can’t take the time to write without giving up a bigger priority, hiring a content writer is the way to go.

Generally, this is a good decision because submitting quality, original articles to build credibility, increase exposure, and drive traffic to your website or blog has incredible long-term value. If a content writer is involved in this process, that’s perfectly acceptable – as long as you get high-quality content that is entirely exclusive and relevant in return.

This isn’t always the case because it’s not a perfect world and not all content writers are reliable.

Know the warning signs of a bad content writer before you risk your reputation! You should fire your content writer if …

#1 – They Stole Content

Plagiarism is one of the most horrendous crimes an author can commit. Not only does plagiarism kill credibility, it can completely knockout a brand. Regularly use plagiarism checkers to check on your content writer’s work – it’s not suspicion or prejudice, it’s your due diligence in exchange for articles.

#2 – They Oscillate Words (a.k.a. They Spin Content)

If it sounds choppy, it is likely spun. Spinning software tries to reproduce original content by exchanging select words with synonyms. The result is jarring word filth that in no way resembles proper grammatical structure. Be sure to review your content writer’s work for spun content before you submit it.

#3 – They Resell Your Exclusive Rights

You don’t rent exclusive rights – you own exclusive rights. If your content writer gives, sells, or republishes content you’ve rightfully purchased the rights to, the content writer has violated the agreement of your exchange. Regularly perform searches for your content online to ensure your brand and your rights are preserved.

#4 – They Stir Up Unwanted Controversy with Your Brand

If your arrangement with your content writer is to stir the pot and make some noise, then controversy might be a good thing. However, if they write controversial content that risks your brand or content you just don’t feel comfortable putting your name on, give them the boot. Discuss boundaries with your content writer by providing them with your views and ethics.

#5 – The Quality of the Content Progressively Gets Worse

As your relationship with your content writer develops, your expectations will become higher and more refined. Make your expectations known to your content writer and always judge the quality of their work. Don’t let your personal relationship with your content writer or any other excuse get in the way of your right to quality content.

Don’t be duped. Your content writer should have your best interests in mind 100% of the time and provide quality, original content that represents you and your brand. Communicate your expectations, clearly designate boundaries, and never excuse plagiarism or unoriginal content.

Nolan Wilson writes:

When it comes to content writers, you often get what you pay for. Paying 2 cents per word is not going to get you the type of content you need for your website.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Kunal Anand writes:

The crux of the working style of Content Writers, You will reap what you sow!

Ulki Goswami writes:

It’s true. There is a tendency to underpay freelance writers.

jagmohan writes:

To expect 500 words unique content at less than $2.5 is a crime with the content writers. Now there are some employers have come down to as low as $0.5 to 0.8 per 500 words undr the garb of bulk work.

I mannually write my articles and it is difficult to get work even at $2 per 500 words. The stress of the employers to get at $1.5 per 500 words.

about 3 years back it was possible to get work at $3. If the same work has to be done at $1.5 there shall be compromising of the quality, which the employers just do not realize.

Thanks

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ulki Goswami writes:

Agree. Writers are often equated to printing machines by clients. The more you write the less we pay!

Cervantes Rodriguez writes:

I find it really crappy (gross understatement) when you plunk down your hard earned cash for a unique article and the person only provides overtly spun content.

If writer did not have the time or ability to write the article, they should have been honest.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Ulki Goswami writes:

True. This could be because many freelance writers in the field are not professionals. They might be writing for additional income and might not give due importance to the project. It’s is advisable to hire only professional writers.

Lukman Lukman writes:

Luckily I wrote my own article for my blog, but often also thought to pay a content writer, but has not yet reached.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM

sivaraman writes:

Hi,
the article gives an idea about what makes bad content writing,and spoil your image.The writings on points are correct and the job provider must indicate his liking and rules for writer to follow.Then only the client and writer combination will work and readers will read the writings.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Randine writes:

I write my own content for several reasons. First, I enjoy writing and it is a way to hone my own skills. Second, I am not at a stage where I need someone else to write for me. Third, the dangers mentioned in this article. I want my content to be authentic and complementary to my vision and tone. I would love to have experts contribute and I am sure they will once my brand has reached a certain level of authority and readership.

Great article that I will share.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Jim Aldrich writes:

Perhaps the most salient point of this article is that if you added cheap pricing and use of a boiler plate offer you could have a job description for those “wanna be” writers who out bid many good writers on cost alone.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Tareq Hasan writes:

As a new article writer I’ve lot of things to learn from this important informative article. Thanks very much for this posting.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

I’ve had to fire a content writer after I discovered that he was using stolen content to create my articles. Not only were they stolen, but the articles as a hole were poor. I now stick to writing my own articles, instead of wasting money on writers who have no idea of what they’re doing.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Tim writes:

“Jarring word filth” — that’s a very good description of spun articles LOL!

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yes that is true. Our company used to hire a content writer who probably used to spinning software to provide us the content needed. However, after a few plagiarism checks it was found that the author committed frequent copy of the content. You article is a eye opener for all those who accept the article with closed eye. Thanks for sharing the post. Looking forward for some more from you. :)

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Betty L Eriksen writes:

As a new article writer I appreciate all the help I can glean. This article is most informative.

Thanks for all the tips, especially the warnings about bad article writers.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Maria writes:

To be honest, I have never been satisfied with the idea of using content writers. I choose to write my own. Yes it takes time, but at the end of the day, I know that what I have written comes from my heart, my research, and more importantly, is written in the style that I want.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Mark Hafley writes:

thank you for your guiding tips, very useful article for new writers.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Pari Fouladvand writes:

thank you for your 5 important tips!

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Joaseph Dabon writes:

I write my own articles but I would be lying if I say that they are all “original,” meaning I got them from thin air. Nothing is that original except those from the pen of researchers.

I did ghostwrote a business school blog and we had a good relationship with the owner.

Personally, there’s more to writing my own articles than just having my name after one. I find it a product of my creation. I get an enormous sense of pride, of accomplishment, for having written one.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Uzoh Francis writes:

I write and edit my own content as I find it an arduous task or an impossible mission to spot an authority writer as every TOM and DICK in the marketing space claim to be a content marketer forcefully or dubiously.

The tips you mentioned are ubiquitous among must-be-content marketers.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I write my own content for my blogs, but I don’t feel it is always professional enough, but I agree with what you all are saying, because when you spend hard earned cash on something, you would hope to get originality.

Comment provided October 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Adeyeye Brian writes:

Thanks for the tips. I was once robbed of my hard earned money by these persons called content writers. They gave me plagiarized contents that almost cost me my reputation on EzineArticles.
This is ungodly and unholy. Stop Patronizing them. Sit down and write your content by yourself.

Comment provided October 17, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Brian Warner writes:

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to posting my own experience and tips on this site to help others and can learn how to do so just by reading what others share.

Comment provided October 17, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Thanks for the helpful outsourcing tips, I think it all boils down to how much money you’re willing to spend to get quality writers, like they say you get what you pay for, I know that sounds cliche but it’s true. You can’t expect to get a quality 500 word article and all you want to spend is $2.50.

Comment provided October 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

fahad writes:

way cool post. Thanks for the information and these guideline can guide through very effective and reader friendly article.There are many websites which advertise like buy Articles writing and submission. But they don’t assure those qualities .So you should be careful where you are investing your money.

Comment provided October 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Betty L Eriksen writes:

Thanks for these tips.

I’ll persevere for the time being to write my own articles, especially because, unless you have a recommendation from someone how would you know who to trust, and how much is enough to pay for an article?

Comment provided October 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Joseph Dabon writes:

I appreciate the situation you are in. For the long term, I suggest you keep on writing for yourself.

If you have short-term writing problems, getting one to help you may be a good move. The problem is “Who?”

If you are pressed for this, I can probably help you.

Michael Walker writes:

I have been a web content/article writer for nearly 4 years now and i have never had an article rejected for spun content/plagiarism or any of the reasons you have stated above.

I have been asked to re-write in a different style if the client has decided he wants it put in a different way, yet that is to be expected and i fully understand and co-operate on that basis.

I do agree with what you are saying and i do know that their are bad writers out there but we shouldn’t all be lumped into one pot.

The problem as many have stated is that you get what you pay for, if you only want to pay a pittance, you really should not expect a well written article. Freelance websites are full of people offering low pay to write an article and all you are going to get is people from poorer countries who can barely even speak the language taking you up on your offer.

I never work for lower than $10 per 500 word article, whilst in many cases i get as much as $20. I have many regular clients and i work pretty much seven days a week and as many as 18 hours a day on some occasions.

I am in a situation where i never have to go looking for work now as my clients are more than happy with me. I also write for one of the biggest online copywriting firms in the world, though i will not mention the name here.

We are not all bad writers, its just that the good ones will not work for peanuts.

Comment provided October 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Ulki Goswami writes:

Well said “good ones will not work for peanuts”.

Cathrina writes:

Content writers, that depends on the topic and how well it drives traffic to the site. I was faced with the same thing but kind of got lost because when other things come around it takes away our focus to read on.
Facebook is a good example to find out what people write and how they performing. In my line of work for me it’s understanding what makes volunteers click to keep on volunteering. This has been my major challenge.

Comment provided October 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

David Berry writes:

I’ve had people come to me offering to guest blog on my website in the past. As an insurance agent, that’s a rather scary proposition. Needless to say, it never works out. As a result, I took that a hard stance on content writing. I feel like it could only be done by professionals; especially in my field. Now, my content is either written by a me or another licensed agent whose post is checked against copyscape.

Comment provided October 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Gina Moye writes:

I write my own and use content writers because article marketing is one of my main marketing methods, Be careful I have come across some bad writers in the past, but have lucked up on a good writer who have your interest at heart whom I’ve developed a good working relationship with. Anybody looking for well written articles for the money contact me I will share her.

Comment provided October 22, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Gina,

Hi!

In case you need back-up writers, please consider me.

Gina Moye writes:

Hi Joseph,

I will keep you in mind

Thanks

Michael writes:

Writing good content is hard work. Sometimes you have to write 100 articles or even more in just a few days. That requires a lot of Motivation and Time. So I think a good personal relationship to your content writer is very important and should not be underestimated.

Comment provided October 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Veronique writes:

I could never let someone else write for me, no matter how busy i am. I am too attached to writing since I was very young to change that.

Comment provided December 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Excellent point. I was a little too cavalier in using the term “improving rankings,” it’s really more about improving the results of your overall SEO efforts, so I’ll revise that bullet point to reflect that.

Comment provided January 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Nephi Malit writes:

It’s sad to see some people in these comments making these generalizations because of a bad experience with a content writer in the past.

As someone who takes great pride in his work as a content writer, I have to say this: you get what you pay for. I provide quality writing; I expect quality wages in return. After seeing too many job postings with “lowest bidder wins,” horror stories about useless, incompetent content writers are not surprising at all. If you’re cheap and you’re not happy with what you get, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Comment provided March 2, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Scarlet writes:

I think you have a point there Nephi Malit. I write my own men’s health articles. It’s not easy. While I have the knowledge, I still perform research to back up everything I say with erectile dysfunction clinical research. That takes time.

So, I can only imagine what a freelancer goes through when researching for a client. Bottom line is, the client offers $3 to $5 dollars for a 500 word article, because he can. I someone doesn’t want to accept that fee, then that person should pass on the assignment.

There are many copywriting articles that support the notion, “If you want the money, then demand the money.”

Michael Walker writes:

Exactly,

They offer it because they can and any good writer will refuse it. Then a poor writer will accept and then the client will complain and put all freelance writers into the same pot as being useless.

Nephi has it spot on, you simply get what you are willing to pay for and have nobody but yourself to blame.

If you want top quality work, search out top quality writers. They will cost what they are worth.

A good 500 word piece will take somebody at least an hour when you combine the research and writing together…sometimes longer. Who is going to work for less than $5 an hour?

We frequently need to hire content writers for consistent supply of high quality content. We expect from our clients content which matches to the standard of reputed websites such EzineArticles. But, it is really challenging to find good quality writers. Surely, we come across a huge number of writer popping everyday. Some of them really reflect all or some of the above characters as featured in your blog post.

Comment provided March 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

khalid resan writes:

It is good but passive voivce is used in showing ideology

Comment provided December 20, 2013 at 5:41 AM

IPIA writes:

I am not sure I would ever out source writing our content. I tried twice and both times I basically had to rewrite the offering. All our website content is written in- house.

Comment provided December 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM