How to Use Your Anchor Text to Your Advantage

Successful Strategies Begin with the Reader

HTML and link building are hot items on everyone’s search engine optimization list, which makes anchor text absolutely sizzling. Why?

Search engines use anchor text as a key indicator of relevance, user experience, and the website’s authority in order to determine how the page is ranked. Expert Authors and webmasters looking for a quick boost may misinterpret this information by unnaturally repeating the same anchor text without considering relevance or user experience.

Whether it’s anchor text (or any other HTML items), you must first ask yourself:

Does it benefit the reader?

Everything you do or don’t do should be for your audience. Sporadically inserting bolded keywords and anchor text because you hope it will help you boost your rank is poor quality and not for the benefit of your audience. However, if you choose to use HTML to help the reader easily skim for what they need, such as bolded headers or a relevant link with natural anchor text in your Resource Box, then you’re talking natural SEO language. Always aim to benefit your audience.

In addition to benefit, relevance determines the “natural” order and “evolution” of the Internet, which makes it absolutely crucial to link building. Authenticity, quality, and transparency – whether it’s in articles, videos, products or even website navigation – will always win over cheap SEO tricks. These elements are critical to the power that relevance in the natural hands of humans can achieve. Coordinated with reader-benefited content, relevant anchor text and links will enhance your efforts.

While that’s fresh on your mind, let’s discuss anchor text more in-depth and a few best practices.

What is anchor text?

Anchor text is the link label or link title that is visible and clickable in a hyperlink.

<a target=”_new” href=”INSERT URL”>INSERT LINK TITLE</a>

For example:

<a target=”_new” href=”http://your-company-name.com/”>Your Company Name</a>
<a target=”_new” href=”http://your-company-name.com/”>http://your-company-name.com/</a>

In the examples above, “http://your-company-name.com/” and “Your Company Name” are link titles.

Should you use a URL or text for the link title in your articles?

The quick answer: one of each.

The long answer: Your readers benefit from context; a URL may not provide the transparency they require to click on a link. A descriptive text-based link title provides them the context and relevance they need to click-through. On the other hand, your articles should be ready for publishers. You may recall any links in the body of your published articles are automatically converted to “nofollow.” Hence, your self-serving links should be limited to your Resource Box so they continue to garner traffic and provide proper attribution. By using the combination of one URL link title and one text-based link title, you have prepared your article for easy syndication and you still provide relevant information that benefits readers.

For text-based link titles, what text should you use?

Here’s where it gets super complicated and where many Expert Authors get in trouble. Many expert authors will simply use keywords in the link title that are irrelevant to either the article or the linked website – sometimes even both.

Here are some anchor text best practices to bear in mind when you choose your text:

• Relevance: Always use specific and descriptive anchor text that is relevant to the linked URL’s page.
  • Location: Place your text-based anchor before your URL anchor.
  • Distribution: Don’t use the same text over and over again, either within the same article or across multiple articles. Natural and contextual variation is essential.
  • Brand: When relevant, use keywords associated with your brand, such as your company name, website, etc.
  • Contextual: Mix in non-descriptive words, such as “Click Here,” and place these near relevant keywords.

A great indicator of whether your anchor text is working is if you see growth in the traffic to your quality website and your website experiences a lower bounce rate. This means you’ve met your primary objective: benefit the reader.

For more information on maintaining your credibility with great anchor text, click here.

View next post
View previous post

Randine writes:

Great article!!

These are the same best practices I promote as well. Anything less and you are insulting your reader’s intelligence and hurting your business on several levels.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Emily writes:

Thanks for the tips! However, what do you mean by, use “one of each” (a URL and a text link title), and “Place your text-based anchor before your URL anchor” — Do you mean that we might write something like this in our article?:

“Click here [<–link title] (www.example.com [<–link title]) to view this post online"

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Derrick writes:

I am getting confused since “brand” seems to imply that keywords advertising companym website etc. can be included in the text

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Jillynn Stevens writes:

Perhaps I misunderstood but I was under the impression that all links (anchor text and urls) were limited to the resource box. Please clarify.

By the way, I appreciate these helpful blogs.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hi Jillynn,

To clarify, we allow a maximum of 2 “Self-Serving” and 2 “Non-Self-Serving’ Links/URLs, active or inactive, in your article. A “Self-Serving” Link/URL is a link/URL to a website that you own, control or have an interest in, while a “Non-Self-Serving” Link/URL will be a website that you are not associated with or have any interest in that provides additional informational value to the article.

Your self-serving links will be housed in your Resource Box, while your non-self-serving links may be included in the article body as long as they fall below the fold of the article. You can review this in section 3f.i of our Editorial Guidelines here:

~Vanessa

Katherine Rubin writes:

Though I created my own website, I still could not understand this article. I needed more basic information.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hi Katherine,

If you have further questions regarding HTML basics we recommend reviewing the following video: http://ezinearticles.com/videos/watch/45/html-all-article-writers-need-to-know/

If you have more specific questions please feel free to contact us from inside your My.EzineArticles account under the ‘Contact Us’ button or here: http://ezinearticles.com/contact.html

~Vanessa

Tarek Zoardar writes:

I’m agree with you that anchor text has the effect on Search Engine. It helps to consider to count backlinks for Crawl.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Don Winfield writes:

When I write, I am frequently attempting to keep in mind how to make certain what I do is done to maximize readership.

You do a very nice job to help me step back and see what I am doing and why I am doing it; so, I don’t get stupid from a 1 inch focus.

Thanks,
Don Winfield for The Liberty Gang

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

patricia gaines writes:

Thank You. The more content I read from EzineArticles the more I learn and can use to write to benefit my reader.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Thank you for the example INSERT LINK TITLE
because I was in the midst of creating a sales page and that was exactly what I needed to create a link.

I have enjoyed the regular EzineArticles.com blogs because you provide so much useful and much needed information that helps with writing EzineArticles and also helps with other aspects of my business and writing.

I appreciate the value you continually offer without adding pressure that we need to write a certain number of articles by a certain date. I like the freedom to write when I feel inspired.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Adusin writes:

Good I made more mistake in writing article this website help me to correct my mistake thanks for the good article sir.

Comment provided October 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Vijay Mishra writes:

This content has been written about link building strategies

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Paddy Landau writes:

Perhaps you can do another article about using the words “click here”. That is a horribly common phrase and a horrible way to use hyperlinks.

Example:

For more information on maintaining your credibility with great anchor text, _click here_.

No, no, no! Try something like this instead:

Find out more about maintaining your credibility with _great anchor text_.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Priyajit Singh writes:

Thanks for this useful and I totaly with the fact given in the article.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

These are very good tips, that concern any person that credibility in mind, particularly, if the person has not gotten ideas of before.
Myself, up to now, I have no website nor self serving links, and just like every other person or persons that are maintaining one or more, I equally need one.
Now, Venessa, please, how do you help me to get: a web site and a self serving link? My resource box is being appearing without any. And not only that, even at the leave a comment site, the box is always not filled.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hi Salihu,

We do not provide assistance with setting up your own website, however our Member Support team will be in contact with you regarding your articles.

~Vanessa

Steve Greens writes:

I’ve been using anchor text like “office cleaning” ect obviously with a relevant link but read some where that Google wants to see a mix and using “click here” or just a straight web site link is also good???

Comment provided October 10, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

I generally reserve my anchor text links to my signature. I rarely link to other sites in my articles, and if i did, it would be the domain name online – without the hyperlink.

Comment provided October 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Abigail Sanchez writes:

Taking advantage of internal linking opportunities with smart anchor text is a good way.

Comment provided October 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Lynn Ferguson writes:

Comment provided November 3, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Veronique writes:

Seems like I have done better than I thought with links. I have been using descriptive anchor links which are either self-serving or not for my articles (outside Ezine) and keeping self serving links at the bottom for Ezine. I guess it was more intuitive than I thought. I don’t like using “click here” style anchor text unless i feel stuck.

Comment provided December 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Don writes:

Great information. I had to search half way down the first page before I finally found an example. Thank you.

Comment provided March 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Also remember that relevant and useful information is a must, not just needlessly posting comments for links. Thanks for your article.

Comment provided March 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM

John writes:

Thank you for your great informative post. I like it very much and i will follow these techniques in my site.

Comment provided July 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Jimoh Akintobi writes:

I keep getting an error message when I try using the anchor text code. It says something like “Your code not formed well placed…” I guess I have to only use the resource box, but I would like to know how to properly use anchor text.

Comment provided July 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Thank you for your question. To create an anchor text link, your HTML code will look like this:

<a target=”_blank” href=”http://YourCompanyName.com/” rel=”nofollow”>CLICKABLE TEXT</a>

To create a URL link, your HTML code will look like this:

<a target=”_blank” href=”http://Your-Company-Name.com/” rel=”nofollow”>http://Your-Company-Name.com</a>

For more information on anchor text, view section 3g of our Editorial Guidelines: http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/guideline/3g

Let us know if you have any further questions.