Your Turn! EzineArticles Asks the Expert Author

Share Your Answer to Today’s Question

Whether you are looking to improve your writing, build your niche as an expert, find tools to help you grow, or see what is going on in the EzineArticles community, we have you covered on the EzineArticles’ Article Writing & Insights Blog.

To recommend the best strategies and methods for EzineArticles Expert Authors, we pore over the data, research and test trends, and a whole lot more. All of this data and reporting doesn’t hold a torch to your valuable experience in the article writing trenches, which makes you, the Expert Author, our best source of information.

In the new blog series “EzineArticles Asks the Expert Author,” you’re invited to share your suggestions, questions, and more by joining the discussion, networking with the EzineArticles Expert Author community, and even discovering new strategies to apply to your own article writing efforts.

Here’s today’s question:

Qetesha Haynes writes:

Be relevant!

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Timothy Spruill writes:

Read what other authors are talking about. This will improve your writing skills.

Keeping up-to-date with what other authors are writing about helps to keep your competition in check while also giving you some tips on how to improve your own writing skills.

Nice tips Timothy!

~Vanessa

Timothy Spruill writes:

This is exactly how I got started. I could barely write a paragraph. LOL!

sweta singhal writes:

Read Read and only Read the articles of famous writers, it will increase your potential about writing and skills to think deeply.

Kieran Gracie writes:

I was advised to review the final draft of an article after a gap of at least 24 hours. This allows the author to read the article with a fresh mind, and usually results in changes that can be really important to either the flow or even the whole meaning of the article.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

CH James writes:

Writing and editing are two different “zones” and it’s not always easy to seamlessly transition from the creative storm that came up with all your ideas to the fine-tooth comb you need to become to make sure those ideas are clear, cohesive, and error-free.

If you take the time to step away from a piece of writing and come back later for a final edit and review, you WILL catch mistakes you missed once you’ve given your brain time to refresh itself and relax. Even if it’s just a quick stroll around the block to clear your head. A better piece of writing is always worth the time.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Carl Mondello writes:

That’s easy.
Be yourself. Write about what you know and what your life experiences have taught you. Also to be truly creative one must write without fear of criticism.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That’s exactly what I want to say. I agree with you dude!

Jeff Herring writes:

1) Keep it simple
2) Less is more
3) Do it now

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Simple and clear tips to help others get started.

Nicely done Jeff!

~Vanessa

Tamas Kalocsai writes:

I am a new user to have almost the ezine’s but I really like the site!
I’ll do my best to provide accurate details, write to the point content, which attract attention of my readers!

Qetesha Haynes writes:

Great advice:)

easy to understand and good skills.

Sandy Giles writes:

I was told just to write. My heart would do the rest and I would learn professional tips a long the way. So I wrote my book and found Ezine to continue to learn the correct writing processes. My writing pathway is now clear and moves forward in front of me into the future.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Just get started writing.
Writing leads to more writing.
Lethargy leads to no writing.
The choice is yours.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Take a cue from your children. When they want something they tell you directly with excitement, smiles and motivating words and actions.
First, think about the problem your readers want to solve. Second, think about at least 6 ways the problem could be solved. Do the research. Third, think some more about the several ways there are to meet the reader’s needs. Fourth, sleep on it. Fifth, start writing with excitement and enthusiasms. Sixth, put it away and then do the editing tomorrow. Seventh. Done!

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

irsah imihar writes:

Stop whining and start writing. Writing mistakes, vocabularies, not interesting enough, means your human. Well, nobody is perfect. You will learn a long the way than not to learn at all.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Amber Sharma writes:

I was advised to write short sentences and review the final draft of an article after a gap of few hours. Proof read the article and do not use common words so that can be really important to either the flow or even the whole meaning of the article.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Jane writes:

When writing blogs I was told to make the topic relevant to what our clients would be searching for

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Rahman Mehraby writes:

Just offer what can be done to achieve what has been a challenge, provide solution and make readers’ lives easier. Ina nutshell,you help them win and you win yourself!

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

“C’mon, can’t you write a bit more?” – my partner used to say this to me and it ultimately helped me to overcome procrastination :-)

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The best advice for me was to keep my paragraphs under 5-sentences.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’ve found that setting the mood helps, and based on feedback I’ve received from writing articles about writer’s block, some of them right
here on Ezine, setting the right mood when you write helps other authors as well. Of course, you have to research your topic, outline your story,
or know what you are talking about, but once you’ve settled on the basic gist of the content, you have to get your mind in the right place. Crank up some mood music, light some scented candles or some incense. Take your laptop into the park. Do whatever it takes to control your settings so you are at ease, then let the words pour out. This is where the best, most
fluid content comes from.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Great tips Miriam!

~Vanessa

lizzie ducking writes:

Listen to your heart; for the most part, it will tell you what people want to hear. Make your articles as short as possible, get to the main point quickly as to not loose the reader’s interested.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Shirley Slick writes:

Titles are incredibly important! Don’t give away the article in the title, but deliver in your article what you advertised in your title.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Beverly Boisen writes:

I never thought of that! Thanks!
I will certainly try to remember that advice!

Joseph Dabon writes:

Just keep on writing. All the tips and advice will fall flat on their face if you don’t write enough.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Sasangka writes:

Simple and understandable.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Write more than 1 article per day after you get adjusted to article marketing.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Bhimarao Sathyanarayanan writes:

Greetings!

Advice about punctuation rules were very important for me. I used to read the lessons on ‘Punctuation Howlers’ with keen interest because Punctuation is one of the most essential aspects of English writing. Sometimes an error in punctuation may change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

We’re happy to hear you’ve benefited from the Punctuation Howlers series Bhimarao, keep it up!

~Vanessa

Stan Rosen writes:

Free writing opened up for me creative thinking processes,helping my words to flow more easily. I believe its the best tool for curing writings block and brainstorming. ” Accidental Genius” found on Amazon is a really good book describing Free Writing. I would really recommend investigating this approach.

Comment provided September 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM

vinhphu writes:

Using simple words and express your idea , your experiences you’ve spent.Show the people what they need and what they never done before

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Ali Asghar Joyo writes:

creative writing has inspiration.Its idea is clear and sentences show coherence.Such writing helps the author show his skills and process to the readers for writing a nice article.

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Scott Bateman writes:

Edit thoroughly. Question every word.

Come back to the article in a few months to see how it is performing. Then edit it again.

A great article evolves over time.

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Faiza Qureshi writes:

How to divide one writing into more, was best advice for me.

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Ravnish Khatri writes:

Never write like a 10 years story. Keep it short and simple and importantly interesting.

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Beverly Boisen writes:

Checking all of articles that interest you and reading will help keep you on top of things!
It’s always a learning experience to read what others write

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Olaotan Fawehinmi writes:

…make your expressions less scientific

Comment provided September 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Ali Asghar Joyo writes:

If the sense is intact,you can write a great piece of work.

Comment provided September 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Mohsin Majeed writes:

The most important thing is the title as well the key word density. It is the main punch of the title which attracts the reader towards it.

Comment provided September 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Reading other Authors write up, does not only improve one’s knowledge base, it equally increases ideas rapidly. It is generally agreed and believe that: practice makes perfect. Before I read your punctuation Howlers, honestly, I have no respect or regard to any thing: punctuation generally, but now, I just can not do without it. Thanks for that and for many more.

Comment provided September 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Sue C writes:

If your article includes key phrases, use stop words and punctuation to make it read more naturally – Google ignores these so it won’t affect SEO.

Comment provided September 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

One thing I always do, is having with me a pen and small paper for jotting down points, before they escape.
Even on the wall of my room, I always jot down points with chalks, mostly at night while awake from sleep and with a fresh point lingering and about getting to escape. And this is why, I very much welcome the new development of Iphones and Ipad.

Comment provided October 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Beverly writes:

I write only what I have experienced, certainly not what others write about
I would never copy others.
What would be the sense to that.

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Sweta Singhal writes:

Writing is an art, so write anything without any hasitation with calm and motivation in your mind.
thanks

Comment provided October 28, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The 100 characters development as the heading or topic of every articles is the best advice I have be given, because it compounds all the article is about saying, and all you will read from the content or body of the is given at a glance.
Taking piece of paper and pen always with me, helps a lot, because it saves me the burden of forgetfulness of any idea that crops up on me anywhere, and I am out of writing venue.

Comment provided October 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Just like the corporate Executives brain tease and storm, when confronted with an issue, so I was once advice to always brain tease and storm when an idea is dangling on me, before writing commences.

Comment provided October 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM