Clear Your Head to Write Effectively

Not Your Ordinary Writing Exercises

Through our many interviews with successful Expert Authors, we’ve noticed a trend:

Exercise should be a part of your writing routine.

Exercise stimulates chemicals in your brain to make you feel happy, more relaxed, and it gives your confidence a boost. It also gives you energy, endurance, and even helps you get a good night’s sleep. All of these benefits may remove stressful inhibitors that block your creativity and ability to find a unique solution to provide in your writing.

So you can see that exercise doesn’t just help you manage your weight and keep your body healthy – it helps you tap into your creativity!

Here are three exercise routines you can consider to keep your mind sharp, stimulated, and fight writer’s block.

Walking, Bicycling, and Rollerblading

Struggling to convey the right idea? Can’t seem to find a relevant experience to engage your reader? Take a 30 minute break and go for walk, bicycle ride, or rollerblade. Nothing too strenuous, simply get up and move to take a figurative step back and realign your focus with a change of scenery. Whether it’s something in your immediate surroundings that sparks an idea or stimulating the chemicals in your brain to refresh your focus, this form of exercise has led to many experts’ “Eureka!” moments.

Stretching, Meditation, and Yoga

Next time you find yourself losing focus, stretch those muscles! Sitting still for too long can be very hard on the body because your muscles help your blood circulate. Poor circulation leads to fatigue, which is a train wreck for concentration. Try 5-10 minutes of simple stretching exercises, e.g., lift up your arms and reach the sky, read down to touch your toes, and lunges. Stressed out? Incorporate yoga and mediation sessions into your routine to increase strength, flexibility, and your breathing to gain control of your body and calm your mind.

Endurance Building and Strength Training

Aerobic or cardio exercises, such as jogging, swimming, and dancing, get your heart pumping and help you build endurance. Adding strength training, such as weight lifting and core exercises help you become more comfortable in your body, i.e., promote body movement, increase bone strength, and maintain muscle groups. If you can’t focus on your writing because you’re distracted by pain, fatigue, or stress, oftentimes it’s your body telling you that something is wrong or missing in your routine. Increase your endurance and strength to pave the way for creative thought and effective writing sessions.

Consider the above exercises a part of your writing routine to unlock your writing power. If you find yourself banging your head against your desk because you just can’t focus on your writing or channel an idea, then try going for a walk. Refresh your oxygen supply, stimulate your brain’s chemicals, and clear your head with exercise to open yourself up to write and succeed.

J Chase writes:

Great suggestion! I have been using the stationary bike and biking about 20 miles a day and doing some strength training for several years now. It not only controls my weight but I feel better also.

During the biking I try and think of unique articles for my niche.

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Hi, first of all thanks for coming up with such a valuable piece of information. Excercise is definitely a mind refreshing tool not just for one’s body but spirit as well. However, many people, sometimes I also feel lack of time which makes it tough stick to the set excercise schedule. Anyways a nice Post. Please share some more posts on similar issue. :)

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Nahid writes:

Great ideas always come to me when I am walking in the part. that’s why I always carry a notebook and pen to jot them down before they escape me. I do a lot of walking and if it’s raining outside, I put on some music and dance. So you are absolutely right in saying that exercise brings about “Eureka Moments”. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Rahman Mehraby writes:

This is very much true. I usually go for a serious walk of 90 minutes every late afternoon. I’ve realized that it helps me very much and super-charges me to the extent that I get too fresh to be able to sleep!

Instead, I feel so great that I want to sit down and work for a few more hours. Therefore, my problem is not to be able to sleep after a great walk! Of course, I need it to refresh my mind. Any suggestions?

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Nahid writes:

Rahman, One suggestion I have for your sleeping problem after a walk is to change the time you take your walk to early morning instead of late afternoon or night time.

The objective of exercising is to increase you energy so you can work afterwards, if you exercise just before bed, then you’re breaking the rules!

Rahman Mehraby writes:

Thank you Nahid. It’s certainly an alternative solution and I must try it. The fact is I’m not a morning person! The other fact is when you work at the computer all day long, it makes more sense to do some exercise after that.

Well, there seems no other choice left for me. I will do so.

I definitely agree that exercise helps us write effectively. As for me, I’ve developed my own routine – take 5 minute breaks after every hour in the computer. I can do a quick stretching or meditation in that time and it makes me feel refreshed.

Looking forward for more writing tips. Thank you!

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

mike mo writes:

As a translator,you know,we always have heavy work.Walking or Bicycling is good for our health and that will keep us clean.

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

To clear my head, I usually camp out in my office with the window open. No music, no tv, no nothing… just clean fresh air, and a motivation to write.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

My rule of thumb is get up from the desk every 20-minutes and walk around, do something. Every 2-3 hours take a break and really go do something else, perhaps take a jog, walk, bike ride. I do it, otherwise you’ll end up with a fat buttocks.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Jon writes:

Well said, only a healthy mind could get healthy ideas. Cheers!

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Naba Krishna writes:

Thanks for enlightening about the wonderful link between Exercises and Writing.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Sasangka writes:

Hi, there. I do agree with your statement. Walking in the morning for about 30 minutes is really healthy. Thanks and God bless you.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Rob Hook writes:

Great posting but beware of over doing it. Fatigue can set in which is counter productive. I am training for half marathon and at 56 years of age it can easily slip form an enjoyable interlude to a hard slog. My writing suffers as a result.

Comment provided September 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Chitra M writes:

Thanks a lot for writing this. A morning walk is very much helpful. It keeps you fresh the whole day and increases your smartness.

Comment provided September 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM

I was just another lazy guy only a few years ago and I didn’t accomplish much in my life.

When I started exercising yoga, began working out and finally launched my amateur running career, everything suddenly fit together and I became more successful then ever :-)

Thanks for this quick reminder of what one really needs in order to clear his mind!

Comment provided September 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Excellent post, and thank you for writing it. I’m always looking for new ways to beat writer’s block, and I agree, physical stimulation really does seem to help. Getting the old blood pumping seems to get the brain working. There’s nothing like endorphins and adrenalin to help your mood and to increase productivity. I’ve also found that changing scenery can help, and simply getting away from what you’re working on for a bit might get the magic working again. In fact, I wrote a piece about writer’s block, and along with your tips, hopefully I’ll never get blocked again.
Miriam B. Medina

Comment provided September 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The information dish out to us on exercise is very vital in deed and in need. However, before now, many people are involved in doing it, but without knowing that it refreshes one when it comes to writing. Now that all are aware of it numerous benefits regarding writing, it must be given more attention and every seriousness. Thanks severally.

Comment provided September 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM

John writes:

Yeah, well said we need to keep our mind clear for effective writing. A healthy mind gets a healthy idea.

Comment provided September 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM

John Miller writes:

Nahid, you’re not wrong. Sleep has the same effect.

I write a weekly article for a newspaper on Sunday night. I take it to bed and proof read it. (Is proof read one word or two?)

In the morning I invariably make changes which I attribute to the writing equivalent of the cobbler’s elves!

Then I go for a walk and invariably there are some further amendments.

Another thing I’ve found is I can’t proofread stuff on the screen. I print it out, go to another room and proofread it there. Then I come back and make the corrections and do it all over again – and again. It’s amazing what gets changed and how many miles I pout in going from one room to another.

Then I’ll set up the attachment to send to the newspaper and give it one more going over and guess what, there is usually a change or two that takes place then.

Sheesh, that’s almost an article’s worth.

Regards

John Miller

Comment provided September 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM

shayla bryant writes:

Absolutely! Every song writer goes through experiences that make them the person they are, and I wouldn’t be writing this music if I hadn’t had certain experiences myself. I always try to look at the world in a fresh way, noticing new things and seeking inspiration.

Comment provided October 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

James Covian writes:

This is a great idea, I find myself struggling to find the right words and subjects to connect with my readers.
I really try hard not to sound so boring and I will definitely implement these activities to bring out the best that I deliver.

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM

mohan thulasingam writes:

Nice information…Even walking around the office or any place and enjoying a Good cartoon or movie will help us to kindle new ideas..This I have been using to sort out any issues in official or personal matters.

Comment provided October 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM