Basic Article Templates for Expert Authors

Satisfy Readers with Easy-to-Read Content

Internet audiences are ravenous. When compared to printed publications, the majority of online readers consume content at alarming speeds. As an Expert Author, it’s important to deliver original, informative content in a succinct, stylized format that will compel readers forward. Try these writing tips and basic article templates so your readers can easily digest your quality articles.

Write a Direct Introduction

Be direct and engaging in your article’s introduction as well as be mindful of insatiable skimmers (e.g., Internet readers who consume articles at incredible speeds in their quest to find relevant content that benefits them). In your first sentence, provide a compelling analogy relevant to your article’s topic. In the last sentence of your introduction, provide your main idea and how it benefits the reader.

TIP: If your reader can’t find your point quickly or finds it unoriginal, the reader will become bored, distracted, or frustrated and click away.

5 Basic Article Templates Readers Love

• Ordered List Template: Use a numbered or ordered list when you’re providing a step-by-step process or when listing in order of importance. Keep list descriptions around 50 words and don’t force points to get a “rounded” list, e.g., add a filler point to reach 10 tips. Ordered list styles include “top 10” lists, “how to” procedures, “best of” lists, etc.

• Bulleted List Template: Use a bulleted or unordered list when order is not essential. Unordered lists provide a quick and easy format that allows readers to get a bird’s eye view of the article and gather the information they need. Keep bullets short and to the point. Unordered list styles include “introduction to” articles, options, checklists, etc.

• FAQ Template: Use a simple Q&A or FAQ format by bolding the questions and then providing a succinct explanation or discussion point below the question. Keep questions short (i.e., don’t span over multiple lines), non-promotional, and ensure the questions are relevant to your audience.

• Bricklayer Template: Use bolded headers, like mortar, between the sections (i.e., the bricks) of your article. Keep section headers short, but compelling like you would the article’s title. Write succinct, relevant, and descriptive information driving the main focus of the section as well as tie it into the main point of the article. (Click here to see an example of this style in action.)

• Combination Template: Use a combination of any of the above to suit your own article writing style. For example, try a combination of the Bricklayer Template and the bulleted list (this post is an example of how those formats can be combined easily). Keep an eye on your article length by targeting your word count between 400-700 words.

Write a Motivating Conclusion

Your conclusion should succinctly recap your main points, but more importantly provide a thought-provoking piece of information that gets the reader thinking. Successful articles are less about the regurgitation of information and more about getting the reader to take the information they have gained and apply it for their own benefit. In doing so, the reader will want to know more information about you as well as your website or blog.

The key to all of these styles is to be as direct as you possibly can in your articles – don’t make readers guess or wade through subtext to achieve their desired information. Prepare your articles using these basic article templates and tips to ensure readers are satisfied with easy-to-read, informative content.

Want more? You have so much knowledge and many experiences to share with the world! Make ten times easier with EzineArticles’ Article Templates. Get the original 52 Article Templates or pick your own Article Template Packages.

Yogesh writes:

Thanks for these tips and I hope these will work for me also. Thanks again.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Sanju kmr writes:

nice templates…option for basic author

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Great article Penny, I like the bulleted list format when writing articles, it makes it easier on the eyes and most people like information that is easy to read and to the point.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

True, for the Internet reader to truly appreciate your article, it’s imperitive that you make it easy for them to scan as they read. If not, well, they are in a hurry, and click, just like that they are gone again, perhaps never to be found amongst the trillion pages online. So, help the reader find what interests them, what they are looking for, and the information they seek, and you’ll be glad you did.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Linda Adams writes:

Thank you for these very helpful templates. I was stuck on how to organize my next topic and the FAQ template will be perfect for my subject.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Sara Lees writes:

Thank you for the informative article. I agree that the K.I.S.S method is the best and also the quickest approach to getting things done.

Regards,

Sara Lees

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

People churn through information and are reluctant to sit and read long tracts of information from a screen. Having succinct articles with punchy, direct copy makes for a rewarding experience.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Janine Gregor writes:

I scan the first few paragraphs after deciding from the title whether I should move onto the next article. The bullet format is best for scanning.

I’m actually lovin’ @Christmas Hampers’ last line, “…succinct articles with punchy, direct copy…” as a great way to describe exactly what I am looking for as a reader.

Off to write a blog and will keep in mind, ‘punchy’ and ‘direct’ using the bullet template. Should be a good one…

Janine Gregor
Virtual Assistant

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM

John Russo writes:

the combined template works well with most of my articles on my website. It helps shorten the articles and gets to point, eliminates duplicated information. Now i actually enjoy reading my own articles.

Comment provided September 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Global Art writes:

These tips really helped me to write a good article – at least in my opinion, but time will tell… I’m definitely going to write some more!

Comment provided September 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Thank you for this basic information that naturally should be done. I sometime get engrossed in my writing, fall a sleep at the computer and make a mess before getting up. When this happen, I do 30 push-ups, splash my face with cold water.

Comment provided September 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Donovan Grant writes:

Norman, you made me smile about falling asleep at the keyboard as I’ve done this a few times myself. Your idea of 30 push-ups and cold water sounds like just the trick!!
Donovan

Agnes Oberkor writes:

I truly enjoyed reading your lessons on article writing templates. I can follow the steps you provided.

Comment provided September 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Mary Segers writes:

I like this and used it successfully for a long time. The past several times I’ve tried to used it, however, I get an error message telling me that bolded and/or repeated keywords are not allowed. I can change just the bolding and it will be acceptable (according to the automatic editor). Any suggestions (I know it isn’t the keywords that are the problem)? Otherwise, excellent post as always.

Comment provided September 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

sophie Gong writes:

Hello, your suggestions are useful, hope I can make full use of them in writing my articles, best regards to you and have a nice day!

Comment provided September 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Mohsin Majeed writes:

Its excellent. I will surely follow them

Comment provided September 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Shahnewaz M writes:

very well written, will try to include it in my next article.

Comment provided September 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM

ismail azmi writes:

excellent post, now i know how to write effectively. Many thanks for your great lessons..

Comment provided September 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM

It’s an remarkable paragraph in favor of all the web users; they will get benefit from it I am sure.

Comment provided September 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The templates, when properly annexed, will surely make one more developed, thereby bringing about accurate and sufficient production within a possible short time frame. Thank you for these and for many more to come in the near future.

Comment provided September 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Hi penny, I am agree with you, the best template is satisfying readers with Easy-to-read content.

Comment provided October 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Chris Downs writes:

Thank you for the information! I will follow this today! I appreciate the great help you provide!

Comment provided October 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Thanks. I will start using the templates.

Comment provided October 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Alain writes:

I find these articles very informative. Almost every where in the internet, I continue reading that if I want to drive traffic to my website, writing articles for EzineArticles will help me a lot, but no where have I read that if I want to read interesting articles, EzineArticles is the place to find that information.

I wonder how much traffic does Ezine Article gets, and how real are all those favorable commentaries are?

Any way, I want to thank Penny for this well written and informative article.

Comment provided November 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM

ismail azmi writes:

thanks for this informative article, I can learn much here

Comment provided May 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which
I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to find
out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.

I’ve had trouble clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes
tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or
tips? Cheers!

Comment provided October 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Hi Darius,
Thanks for your question. In any type of writing, it’s always good to take time to brainstorm and create an outline. During that first 10-15 minutes, you can work on jotting down any and all ideas that come to mind and then start putting those ideas in outline format. Doing this will help you ease into your actual writing. Good luck to you!