What Are Natural Links?

Natural? Organic? Are we at the local Farmer’s Market?

The writing lingo these days can be incredibly confusing for Expert Authors. Long gone are the days when authors simply published in print without having to concern themselves with things like search engine optimization, link building, and natural links.

Link building can play a role in amplifying your exposure, which in turn brings your audience to you and builds your brand. While there are several practices floating about the web-o-sphere, there is one strategy that should be your end-all, be-all guide to link building:

Create a natural link by writing a quality, original article with a quality, relevant link in the Resource Box. Then publish the article on a well-known website.

This strategy has been the best, if not the only strategy, of hundreds of successful Expert Authors. Why? It’s 100% organic, reinforces your rank, and increases your exposure.

How do you determine whether your link is relevant to your article?

Relevance is the relation of something to the matter at hand, i.e., the relation of a link to an article.

For example, imagine you’re an expert on swimming pools. You would like to drive traffic to your swimming pools website to increase your brand and sell a few pool products. You also manage a soccer blog (go Man U!) that has a running commentary on the latest soccer news and insights, which you’d like to drive more traffic to because you’d like to be taken more seriously as an authority on soccer. You’ve written an article on swimming pool maintenance and are considering which of your websites provides the best natural link scenario with the article:

Topic: Swimming Pool Maintenance …

• Soccer Link? Not relevant. Not only is it a poor user experience to link a reader to something irrelevant to the topic they originally searched for, it doesn’t help you improve your rank. To increase exposure and drive more traffic to your soccer authority site, write an article relevant to soccer and then include your soccer link in the Resource Box!

• Best of Both Worlds? Linking both your pool site and your soccer link is only going to split your traffic. One half of your audience will go to your irrelevant soccer link (see previous point) and the other will go to your pool site.

• Pool Link? YES. Not only will this extraordinary level of relevance help promote your credibility as an authority in the swimming pool niche, it will help increase your rank.

Now that we’ve straightened out which link you should use, if you want to amplify your brand exposure and increase your authority even more, build your reader’s trust by establishing your presence on your link. Think about it for a moment. You’re a reader and you know nothing about whether the author of an article you’ve just read is legit. You click-through to their website and the author is nowhere to be found. Suspicious, right? Make sure your association with the website is transparent; ensure your Author Name appears on the website (e.g., “About” sections, articles, etc.) and establish your presence.

Use this link building technique to not only increase your rank, but to increase your brand exposure and your credibility! When in doubt: Always aim for originality, quality, relevance, and transparency – you will never go wrong.

Pinned you on my Better Blogging and Writing Board. Guess I need to get a few more articles out there. Oh for the 96 hour day. Thank you for this.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Online Jobs writes:

Authors can submit their links to the pligg sites which give a do follow back link. This is one of the easiest way to build back-links.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Russ writes:

Thanks dude
I’ll check it out
but in the meantime can you elaborate on your statement please as it sounds good.

Samuel Metz writes:

To think I could not find where to put the link and today you publish an article giving a clear precise answer. Wow, and to think that there are those who do not believe in God?

Now, my question is, what is a back-link?

Sam Metz

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hi Sam,

The simplest definition of a backlink is a link coming from another website to your own, which are also called inward or inbound links.

~Vanessa

Ulki Goswami writes:

“You click-through to their website and the author is nowhere to be found. Suspicious, right? Make sure your association with the website is transparent; ensure your Author Name appears on the website (e.g., “About” sections, articles, etc.) and establish your presence.”

Penny, I have seen some websites that do not display the name of the owner or people working there. So, when readers follow resource box links to such websites would they presume that the article author is a fake?

Truly believe in “When in doubt: Always aim for originality, quality, relevance, and transparency – you will never go wrong.” The article was very useful. Thanks.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hi Ulki,

To clarify, we are recommending best practices for websites you own. If you are including links in your Resource box to another company or one you work for, and they do not wish to be as transparent with who owns the site or those that work there then that is their choice and is accepted. It is up to the business to determine how transparent they would like to be on their own websites.

~Vanessa

Cecil Shortt writes:

We have to be careful how much information about ourselves we put on the internet. The idea is to build the brand and the logo and conduct legitimate businesses. It is so easy to track people to their place of residence.Especially if your business is solely done online. I do not understand why I would need to know everyone who works at a particular company. However, a first name for me will suffice. Not the persons whole name and other personal information.That said you may have a point, in regard to building an online presence. I have taken this in greater consideration. Thank you for your input.

Rosendo Cuyasen writes:

I believed that getting your online exposure through article is a very effective tool for increasing you backlinks.

It is true that in every article directory are not allowing low quality content. You need to exactly follow some guidelines in writing so that every audience you have will be benefited.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM

John 1221 writes:

A key part of your strategy is: “Then publish the article on a well-known website.” Some examples of such websites would be much appreciated.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi John,

To give you a hint…

You are on one! EzineArticles is a great place to share your articles in your area of expertise and include your quality, relevant links. Doing so, will help build your credibility as well as trust in your brand.

~Vanessa

MCatherine writes:

Based on your article, I immediately raised my photo to the top of Hide A Heart’s blog! Thank You!!

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Daniel K writes:

Thanks for this article and tips.
I am impressed by the transparency you mentioned.
Although I (also maybe you) have never compared two websites with and without transparency in respect of how well they rank in Search Engine, but I believe the one with transparency must do better.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Randall Magwood writes:

Nice. I’ve just changed my resource box to make it more relevant to what my site is all about, and to what my articles are all about.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Gouri writes:

That’s right. One has to do away with the tendency of getting more number of links from one article.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

JoeTranscriber writes:

Yes, consistency to what you write as an article and the link it the author resource box must be consistent with what you are niching for. It’s like apples for apples…

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Samuel writes:

Yes.. This is true white hat seo. Natural and normal.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

AYO writes:

much as i love to publish 700 articles on ezine, the number of ads placed on each article by ezine is a serious concern in getting the targeted visits to ones site.
If ezine could reduce their ads to one then chances are that author’s click through rates would increase.
This is my honest observation!

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Sonia writes:

I agree. I’ve been distracted by the number of ads on my articles — especially the ones that look like they’re part of the article AND the ones for my competitors! Wouldn’t a reader be just as likely to click on one of the competitor’s ads at the top or side of my article as to click on my link at the bottom?

Russ writes:

Thanks for your relavent question. Yes they are distracted by and diverted away from your website by the competing adds. Of course your potential customers are being diverted to your competitors but what are you going to do about it?

My strategy has always been to forget SEO strategies all together, and write articles that pique the curiosity of the reader, then offer a link while their mind is considering it all – bringing them to more information or my think tank website. It’s always worked well, and I have the traffic to prove it. Plus, it’s fun to put your information out to the world in an article format, as people appreciate this venue.

I am always leery of advice by SEO strategists, because it’s a moving target, while proper links brining people in with “evergreen wisdom” stands the test of time and 27,000 articles later, I’d say I have proof of that.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Oh, and one more thing;

“Power to the User!”

Because if you help them, they’ll always help you. Make your article writing a WIN-WIN with relevant quality content and links to match.

Russ writes:

27,000 articles. Don’t leave us hanging. How is it possible how do you manage it? Go ahead and tell us what it’s on as I’m asking.

Russ, I have been asked this question a lot, so I turned the question into an article titled; “How to Write Quality Articles – Lots of Them – This is Article Number 19,000” and you can search that on the EzineArticles search feature to read it. If you have any further questions you can email me and we can talk. I can also send you my e-Book where I explain more, Lance (AT) carwashguys (dot) com.

I extend this offer to all EzineArticle authors. No Charge, but if you want you can buy the e-book at Amazon where I explain more, or I can just email you one at no cost.

Carmello writes:

This is a great article. I found this though twitter. It is great to see their are still writers out there in this small world of ours called Earth. My passion to write articles has been re-established. Thanks for taking the time write and make this article into memories.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Paul writes:

The thing is, it is very hard to find links that will connect to you naturally.

Comment provided August 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I am agree with you Paul.

Vijay Mishra writes:

Hello penny,

You are written very informatics topic, I really like this post because i am an SEO executive and I need this type of topic.

Comment provided August 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Mohit Kukreja writes:

Absolutely agree to you Penny. Natural and relevant links are definitely important for your SEO efforts. After google’s Panda and Penguin updates what is more required is to build as natural links as you can and of course relevant links are going to stay for long.

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

adeel Zahoor writes:

Good topic… I think we should keep 1 thing in our mind for natural looking linkbuilding. When we go to the build links, we need to ask our self that if this links we build for the purpose of getting targeted traffic or getting sales. So its a good link we build but if we build this link for getting high position on search engine so its a wrong way.

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Alex Leong writes:

Totally agreed with you on writing a quality and original article which is relevant to your website. Thanks for sharing and the useful tips.

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Vernon Stent writes:

What if the author does not own or run a given website but is paid to write interesting articles about it?

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Christina Crea writes:

Thank you for the very informative article. With all of the changes made in the last few years I wasn’t sure if I’d be penalized in the search engine world for article writing. It’s nice to see that article writing, with a relevant resource box link, is still relevant today. I guess I have more articles to write!

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Olivia Danish writes:

I would Like to add about natural linking patterns.
Its always not essential or good practice to target niche Keyword for links.
we can use words like “read more” , “know more” , “click here” as anchor text and redirect the reader to our website. This will be less suspicious and more natural I feel.

Comment provided August 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Scott Gibson writes:

Really nice, well written article. These subjects about making good and effective backlinks are always worthwhile reviewing.

Comment provided August 14, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Chip Searl writes:

Many SEO’s have debated that article sites provide unnatural links, which can be problematic and cause Google unnatural link detected email sent through WMT. Do you agree or disagree?

Comment provided August 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Chip,

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking here. Could you elaborate a little further?

Thanks,
Marc

Chip Searl writes:

Hi Marc, I am asking whether or not I need to remove links from my EzineArticles to clear a Google penalty?

Google are being vague about this whole penguin panda algo update. But one thing is for sure. My site gets 1/1000 the hits it used to, after i received the email.

Comment provided August 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Natural links are inbound links that online marketers didn’t intentionally create as part of their link-building campaign. Organic link-building is a positive product of all the rest of the SEO and internet promotion work that you do like social networking, online PR, content promotion and more.

Comment provided August 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM

W3Origin writes:

I discussed with several seo experts about natural links and always got disappoint because every one has their own opinion but at last i tried it on Google and got this article. I am extremely happy. May thanks for sharing such a wonderful post with us.

Comment provided August 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Vernon Stent writes:

All that Google & co are trying to do is filter out artificial marketing and let the organic stuff shine though.

This is why I always stick with white-hats sites such as EzineArticles where the emphasis is on quality.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Shriv writes:

Quality articles and good incoming links the best source of organic SEO. If any more please tell me.

Comment provided September 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Craig writes:

Luv it!
I so agree.
Relevance is sooo vital.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

windykacja writes:

Great blog – Sadly, in Poland I was able to not get for this, so I’ll be considered a repeated guest here :) My English is poor,
though ) Sorry for the mistakes. Again, fantastic …
very specific details