Discussion Article Template

Use Your Expertise to Launch a Discussion

One of the best ways to show your own mastery of a topic in your niche is by writing a discussion-based article on that topic.

A discussion-based article stands out because it covers multiple angles of a topic or multiple perspectives, which are known as counterpoints.

In other writing styles, counterpoints are only mentioned as a part of the conclusion and can appear unimportant. Articles that are discussion-based, on the other hand, thrive on the evolution of a back-and-forth conversation with more than one perspective.

The Discussion Article Template is perfect for authors who understand all of the perspectives and can build a cohesive discussion.

So what do you want to talk about today?

Parts of a Discussion-Based Article

1. Introduction – Lay out the topic and context of the discussion. Include a brief summary of each side of the discussion to be explained further in the body of the article.

2. Body Part #1 – Give an in-depth explanation of one side of the discussion. Provide evidence by including your own unique insights, analysis, and commentary on the discussion topic.

3. Body Part #2 – Give the article a new dimension by discussing another angle of it. This, in essence, is a counterpoint to the original discussion. You can either lay out each part of the discussion separately or use as point/counterpoint style.

4. Conclusion – Evaluate each side of the discussion and decide whether there is a “winner” and a “loser.” If there is, name them. If not, explain why not.

Use this template today to add a new dimension to your article writing and provide engaging counterpoints for your audience.

Like our article templates? Increase your exposure and your article library simultaneously by downloading EzineArticles’ 52 interactive Article Templates on PDF. Click here for more details!

Have you written an article using the counterpoint style? Share your article and experiences in the comments section below.

Online Jobs writes:

I have a number of blogs where I discuss with my readers about the techniques to earn money online. This help me to gather more visitors. I am exactly following your suggestions for writing articles. Great post!

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

JoeTranscriber writes:

Thanks for this great article. I am always following your articles to learn more on how to write good content for my website. This greatly helps me in lead generation and increasing awareness for my website and in particular grow my business with new clients.

Joseph

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Russ writes:

Man that was a real gooda. I’ve never used an article template, not that they don’t make sense cause they do (in fact I was just about to purchase those 52 playing template cards when they 1st came out except the price went up without warning so I didn’t), but this one is a great idea especially if you are trying to sell some kind of a product. People wanna know both sides BEFORE buying and that’s what yur giving them – BOTH sides – making them much more inclined to buy.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Tracy Kennedy writes:

Thank you for the great information. I am now following you to learn all of your great techniques to writing articles for my new website. I hope to soon be as good writing articles for the content of my website to gain great leads and traffic to grow my business. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
Tracy

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Indeed, I favor this template and style over all others, because it makes the reader think, which we need more of out there in cyber space.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Opal writes:

This is sort of liking talking to myself, I guess. I do talk to myself and sometimes I even answer.
I love discussions, but I hate argument and hurt feelings.
Some are so vociferous with their opinions that they let it get personal and they begin to insult. Luckily, I have not found such discussions on these comments. That may be because everyone enjoys discussion,which helps make better articles, and to learn about the language, depth and information that makes good writing. Power to you all and the written word.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

john russo writes:

discussion based articles can help get a point across to the skeptics. You, as a writer, can use this idea to to help do better more intense research asking more questions. The outcome should a powerful informative article that hopefully converts better.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I totally agree skeptics should use such articles to destroy the false-indoctrination of authority based propaganda, otherwise the status quo will continue to practice the definition of insanity using false reasoning and logic.

This is a great idea to write articles that engage the readers. People often have different point of views on a topic. This allow the author to show case a holistic understanding of the topic that build credibility.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ulki Goswami writes:

I read EzineArticles blog every day. I am a fan. Thanks for posting this simple yet very interesting post on article writing.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Vijay Mishra writes:

Yes, I agree with you that article template is very necessary which attract off ordinance.

Comment provided August 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM

martin rooney writes:

anything that helps, helps!
Article writing is a great evergreen method of promotion, helps you stand out.
Discussion templates are a distinctive way of writing articles, helps you stand out.
Double whammy, got to be great, thanks guys.

we all need a little nudge, that little extra to stay ahead. Stay Focused.

Comment provided August 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Bug Ho writes:

I’ll try this out!

Comment provided August 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM

David Chester writes:

Much as I appreciate the need for a template or format for writing informative articles (as distinct from narative ones), the template presented in the article presented above for general use is not ideal. I have been writing technical reports for a lot of my life and the format that I use has proved to be the best possible. It is:

1. Introduction
2. Description
3. Discussion
4. Conclusion

In addition a short one paragraph summary may be placed at the start of section 4 or before the introduction (after the title).

I find that even when the level of technicality is not so serious, as in my past engineering reports, that this style of format is very effective. The splitting of the discussion into two parts is not.

Comment provided August 9, 2012 at 6:10 AM

John Russo writes:

Your method is familiar. one which i often find myself using. I’m inclined to believe that your level of writing can not be done effectively in the 400 to 700 word guide lines. Most people looking for your type of data would require all of it in one article or report regardless of size.
Would I be correct in stating that regardless of report size a person who wants the information will read it? Are they used to help market and sell products?

David Chester writes:

I do no think that article length has much to do with the form of the template. Very short articles still need to be introduced, described, discussed and concluded!

An article which is incomplete and needs the reader to examine a second article seems to me to be absurd, both parts should be joined in one article with the necessary logical steps being used.

When the article is for commercial purposes, it ceases to be an article in the strict sense and it becomes a sales “blurb”. Such writing has its own rules.

Vijay Khosla writes:

A guidance which increases the effectiveness of one’s writing is welcome. I greatly value the guidance offered by EzineArticles.

Comment provided August 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Tony Gamblin writes:

Great article! I will definitely use this in my business and writing

Comment provided August 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

patricia gaines writes:

Thank you for the information. I am a story teller & learning the discussion based template will increase the drama or humor of my stories.
Patricia

Comment provided August 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Danielle Spark writes:

I can’t remember the last time I bookmark a webpage. This stuff is gold. Is there any chance we can get a pdf version so I can ready on my tablet?

Comment provided August 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Hi Danielle,

Great question! We actually have all of our article templates available in an easy-to-use PDF format here: http://shop.EzineArticles.com/ArticleTemplates/

These article templates are designed to help you be successful in your article writing campaign.

To Your Success,
Vanessa

Danielle Spark writes:

Wow amazing stuff. Thank you Vanessa

Comment provided August 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Vijay Khosla writes:

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for sharing the information about article templates being available in the PDF format.

Regards.

Comment provided August 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Rahman Mehraby writes:

It’s an interesting template to introduce controversy and provide the ground for contradictory ideas.

However, I want to know why you think introducing a “winner” and a “loser” can help promoting such argument. If it triggers any discussion in this case, it’s going to be between the author and the readers. I’d like to know your idea.

Rahman Mehraby
TraveList Marketing Blog

Comment provided August 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Andres Martinez writes:

Hi Vanessa,
Thanks for sharing the information about article templates, very useful article for me.

Comment provided October 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM