Maintain Your Credibility with Great Anchor Text

How to Use Anchor Text

Here’s the low-down on anchor text to help you provide a great user experience, maintain your credibility, and drive traffic to your blog or website.

Anchor text is the text that appears highlighted in a hypertext (active) link. Clicking on the anchor text opens the target web page. The text may be a URL, a word, or a phrase. For instance:

“Submit your high-quality, original articles to EzineArticles for more exposure, credibility, and traffic back to your website.”

In this example, “EzineArticles” is the anchor text, the target is http://EzineArticles.com/.

Seems simple enough, right? Yes and no.

Like your title, your anchor text and its context is a promise to your reader. By clicking on your links, the reader is taking a leap of faith that you will take them where they want and expect to go. Don’t disappoint your readers.

Here are three Resource Box scenarios to illustrate good and bad anchor text in action.

Note: In the following examples, the underlined text indicates the scenario’s link. Each example is a fictitious website and therefore is not an active link.

Scenario #1 – Misleading Anchor Text

An article titled “A Guide to Surviving a Shark Attack” delivers great survival tips as a result of a shark attack. The Resource Box:

“You can click here to know more.”

Expectation: To be taken to additional shark survival tips or more survival tips in general.
Reality: The anchor text links to a site selling purses.
Experience: Poor
Result: Author loses the reader’s trust.

Scenario #2 – Mismatched URLs

An article titled “Can Zinc Be Used to Cure Acne?” delivers a provocative argument for the medicinal use of zinc and other homeopathic methods to cure acne. The Resource Box:

“Zoe Auteur is an expert on homeopathic methods. For more tips on acne cures and zinc, visit zincacnecure.com

Expectation: To be taken to a page with more information on acne cures and zinc.
Reality: The reader is directed to http://some-other-website.com that discusses search engine optimization, not zincacnecure.com.
Experience: Poor
Result: Author loses credibility.

Scenario #3 – Descriptive and Relevant Anchor Text

An article titled “Top Secret Bayou Tips to Cajun Cooking” delivers quality, informative insights into Cajun cooking using Louisiana Bayou methods. The Resource Box:

“Bill Ecrivain owns and manages Toucan’s Bayou Kitchen, Louisiana’s premiere Cajun-Bayou restaurant. Visit http://toucans-bayou-kitchen.com for more Cajun cooking tips!

Expectation: To be taken to Bill Ecrivain’s website featuring his restaurant and more Cajun cooking tips.
Reality: The reader is taken to a website featuring Bill Ecrivain’s tips, videos, and more on the art of Cajun cooking in the Louisiana Bayou.
Experience: GREAT!
Result: Author builds the reader’s trust, gains credibility, and the reader subscribes to various newsletters and videos.

Bear these scenarios in mind next time you’re optimizing your anchor text. Strive to create the best possible user experience by always delivering quality, relevant content from your article’s title to your anchor text.

Shashi Singh writes:

Hi,

A great help to those authors who are struggling to get the maximum benefit of their resource box.

You can also see my resource box.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Emily Sandstrom writes:

Speaking of expectations, I thought at last I was going to learn how to DO anchor text. The article told me things I already know, and I guess you have writers who do need to know these things because I have read their articles. But, to me, this did not live up to what I came here … salivating … for.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Paddy Landau writes:

Another tip that could have been talked about is the wording “click here” that we see all over the ‘net.

For example, instead of:

Rabbits can be beautiful pets. _Click here_ to see some photos.

It is more readable to write:

Rabbits can be beautiful pets, as _these photos_ demonstrate.

Or even more simply:

Rabbits can be _beautiful pets_.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Andy Mann writes:

I agree with your examples Penny. Yes, they read better…

David Baird writes:

“Provide relevant verbiage in your anchor text.”
You folks ever check words in a dictionary?
Misuse undermines the message!

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

priyajit singh writes:

Exactly! Great tip…. This could help a lot to newbie… Thanks excellent article…

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Exactly what I was looking for: the how-to. The rest is pretty obvious. I ended reading the article thinking, “DUH!”

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Hi Rosalind,

Thank you for your feedback.

While this information may be obvious to some it is one of the most common errors we see. We want to ensure all members are educated on the appropriate use of anchor text. Here’s a look back to a post we did that includes the ‘how to’ you are looking for: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/03/html-basics-for-the-expert-author.html

~Vanessa

Many thanks! That was valuable.

Rosalind

Vijay Khosla writes:

The article is O.K. but it was very much obvious.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Mike Kollin writes:

I have to agree with Rosalind and Vijay!

“HOW!!!!!!”
Yes I see you have put up a box with a link to the how after the fact.

But, you should have done that in the first place. Kind of ironic how this is an article on anchor text and
you never thought to put an anchor text to “HOW” to make an Anchor text in the article.

PRE: P.s. try not to take this too personal, I just have to get this off my chest!

Ok, here’s my beef or point. Years and years ago, when I was learning computers, these damn computer experts and even my business adviser would constantly tell me what to do, but never “HOW” TO do it! So frustrating! What is it with these people who know how to do stuff on the computer, who just assume others can instantly do it. If that was so, why in the hell would we be looking to you for advice in the first place????

Seriously and Respectfully. What is the use of telling someone what to do but not how to do it? Over the years I have found this to be very, very normal for computer type people. They are so disconnected, that they never think, “Huh, maybe the reason this person isn’t doing this, is because they don’t know “HOW” TO do this!

Patient: I’m sad
Doctor: Be happy!

Seriously, what author or writer or anyone who has sent an email or done a blog or has surfed the web, hasn’t seen an Anchor text in the last 10 years??? I bet their first thought was, “I would like to know “HOW” TO do that!”

And, if someone already knew how to make an Anchor Text, don’t you think they would already know about, and What an Anchor text is?

Food for common sense thought!

P.s. tips on how to be a better writer. Write better articles with a little common sense.
What’s that you say? “HOW?” OH, I would put an Anchor text there to lead to the “How” but I don’t know how to make an Anchor text!

P.s.s. I don’t mean to be rude. But, you sincerely have to understand, you can’t write an article on What to do if you don’t teach them “HOW TO DO IT!!!!” IT”S sooooooooo Frustrating!!! And a lot of us are really sick and tired of this nonsense! Besides, you can put an Anchor text in your article to lead them to the how if it’s too long for your article.

Bless you and better luck in your future articles, sincerely!

P.s.s. you guys are a great service and also offer awesome tips. This just was a personal frustration I have noticed a lot of people in the computer era seem to do! They tell us what to do, but not how.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Mike, I hear you! I took a class where the instructor talked about i-frames. I said we don’t all know what you know. And he made a joke back about some people thinking i-frames are related to i-phones. He stopped talking to me after I told him I didn’t know what an i-phone was, either. It’s important that people break the knowledge they share into simple steps. It’s amazing how much people proficient in tech think we all know. :)

Jan writes:

I don’t know if this suggestion would be possible to implement but it would help me enormously. I struggle with the html when writing anchor texts. It takes me nearly as long to do the resource box as the article.

My suggestion is to have a wysiwyg “anchor link” available for the resource boxes?

I have overcome this by simply putting the code itself into each author resource box for fast reference, then I write each of my resource boxes individually for each article. Now if it was possible to just be able to highlight and insert my website I want them to go to, would save me a lot of article writing time.

I like WYSIWYG editors and one placed available in the resource section would be terrific!

BTW, something else I would like to comment on here is your suggested titles. They are really handy and offer good ‘thought’ juice to get the brain working. Thank you for those…I find them exceptionally useful.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your recommendations! Your suggestions will be valuable as we continue to make updates to the My.EzineArticles interface.

BTW, we’re glad you enjoy the suggested titles!

~Vanessa

SteveP writes:

What would really help would be to allow some (one?) well done link above the resource box. Why don’t you guys allow that again?

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Hi Steve,

We allow a maximum of 2 “Self-Serving” and 2 “Non-Self-Serving” Links/URLs, active or inactive, in your article. Self-serving links are those that you either own or maintain a vested interest in. A non-self serving link would be one that you include for informational purposes only. We suggest placing your self-serving links in your Resource box as the links that you include in your article body will automatically become ‘No-Follow’. I hope this helps!

~Vanessa

But, back to an article a while ago that said we must use a top level url…why would one use anchor text if one has to have a top level domain anyway?

Is there some benefit to using anchor text? Do search engines prefer it?

Or, are we no longer required to use top level domains?

Thank you for helping as always.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Hi Kathryn,

I believe you may be confusing our guidelines on affiliate links and anchor text. In regards to affiliate links, yes you should only redirect from the Top-level domain that you own.

In regards to anchor text, we recommend having at least one URL in anchor text so if it is republished by a reader, the Resource Box is more likely preserved. If you still have any questions on either of these please let me know and I will be happy to explain either scenario further. We also recommend reviewing today’s post to assist you with any other HTML questions you may have found here: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2012/07/html-code-basics-for-expert-authors.html

~Vanessa

I like the capcha you use here. Much better than capcha because it’s readable! :)

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM

lpx writes:

The article is very good, to learn it

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Mike Kollin writes:

Ok, cool… I hope I wasn’t too harsh.. I was just letting it off my chest..
Bless you, sincerely

And thank you for your kind response and thanks to you and EzineArticles for this amazing site! :)

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

rajendra baru writes:

let’s do some work after reading this article.

Comment provided July 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Enoch Bradley writes:

The misleading anchor texts are usually done on purpose by spammers who don’t care about rapport and your trust. They just want to fish in the virtual sea a million consumers, and hope they snag a sucker!
Its sad, of course.

Comment provided July 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Vijay Khosla writes:

Kathryn, I remember that article about the top level URL and your magnanimity in explaining it to me on a one to one level.

At times, we may not agree with the point of view of someone, yet the great job of teaching carried out by EzineArticles can not be ignored either.

I believe many will vouch for that!

Thanks.

Comment provided July 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Hi Vijay,

I love EzineArticles! And I hope you are doing well.

Randall Magwood writes:

I hate seeing scenario #1 and #2. I see it all the time. I would read an article about getting website traffic, and then the link at the end of the article goes to a page that sells motorcycle helmets.

Scenario #3 is the best though.

Comment provided July 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

house plant writes:

I find it so reassuring that I’m not the only girl out there over the age of 20 who doesn’t know this kind of stuff! Time to learn *about all of it*.

Comment provided July 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Vijay Khosla writes:

Hi Kathryn,

Don’t get me wrong, please. I had brought up your name to show my appreciation of your help to me and I admire that.

I know you love EzineArticles.

Thanks.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Jon writes:

Adjusting your anchor text as you go along has been claimed to make a big difference with some of the later Google updates. However it seems all the gossip seems to just grow and grow if someone states it with a little authority.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

James Buyers writes:

I thought they had stopped scenario 1 and you got penalized by Google….I am still trying to learn all these little tips but they keep changing the goal posts!

Comment provided July 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

kahului forum writes:

I know this web site presents quality based posts and additional
information, is there any other web site
which gives these kinds of stuff in quality?

Comment provided July 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Emily Sandsrom writes:

kahului forum: If you join Stumbleupon, and put in ONLY writing subjects, there’s a wonderful university of information on writing there. Intriguing stuff like a program that guesses your gender by your writing. (It could not make its mind up about me.) I really enjoyed that. If you want to do other things there, get a second membership for it, so you will have a reliabale place to go for writing information.

Groups on LinkedIn are another good place to look. I belong to a court reporter’s group that has a really, really good test for users of written English.

Hope this helps.

Ketan Gaikwad writes:

Its sad, of course.

Comment provided January 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I’m still learning how to use the anchor text. when I use SEO analytics to diagnose my backlinks, I often sse my name as the anchor text. Is this right?

Thanks for educating me on anchor text.

Comment provided July 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Tricia writes:

I noticed that others have made the same comment. How do you make a link? Where do you get the html code?

I read through the html code section, but I do not see or understand how to make a link from “click here” or to mark one word with a link.

I don’t get it.

Comment provided July 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Hi Tricia,

Here is a post that will help explain HTML further: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2012/07/html-code-basics-for-expert-authors.html

I looked at your recent submission and see you were able to include a link to your site in the Resource box. The post above will go over how to create anchor text for your self-serving links.

Hope this helps!