HTML Code Basics for Expert Authors

How to Format HTML Code in Articles

Want greater control over the framework and structure of your articles? Try using basic HTML (HyperText Markup Language)!

HTML is used to format information to be displayed in a web browser. Not only does it add style to plain text, it helps you simplify content for easier reader comprehension. For example:

HTML transforms this …

What Is Article Writing? Article writing is the practice of writing quality, original articles based on your knowledge, expertise, skillset, etc. that is unique to you, your niche, and your readers. This quality content then amplifies your exposure, builds your brand, and builds your credibility as an authority in your niche, thus creating a higher demand for you and your organization.

… into this …

What Is Article Writing?

Article writing is the practice of writing quality, original articles based on your knowledge, expertise, skillset, etc. that is unique to you, your niche, and your readers. This quality content helps you achieve the following:

• Amplify your exposure
  • Build your brand
  • Build your credibility as an authority in your niche
  • Create a higher demand for you and your organization

Isn’t HTML much easier on the eyes? Improve the readability, the style, and the overall quality of your articles by using these HTML basics.

Font Style HTML Tags

<b>Bold Text</b> … will appear as Bold Text
<i>Italic Text</i> … will appear as Italic Text
<u>Underline Text</u> … will appear as Underline Text

Phrase HTML Tags *

<strong>Strong Text</strong> … will appear as Strong Text
<em>Emphasized Text</em> … will appear as Emphasized Text

*Phrase HTML tags are similar to Font Style HTML tags; however, Phrase HTML tags achieve a richer effect in advanced HTML.

List-Related Tags

Use a numbered (ordered) list when you’re providing a step-by-step process or when listing in order of importance.

HTML code for a numbered list:
<ol>
<li>Your first key point</li>
<li>Your second key point</li>
<li>Your third key point</li>
</ol>

… will appear as …

1. Your first key point
  2. Your second key point
  3. Your third key point

Use a bulleted (unordered) list when order is not essential.

HTML code for a bulleted list:
<ul>
<li>Your key point</li>
<li>Another key point</li>
<li>An additional key point</li>
</ul>

… will appear as …

• Your key point
  • Another key point
  • An additional key point

Other Formatting Tags

<blockquote>Blockquote tags are used when citing a long quotation of 3-5 sentences …</blockquote>

… and will appear as …

3-5 sentences of indented blockquote text.

For Your 2 Self-Serving and 2 Non-Self Serving Links

In the post, “Maintain Your Credibility with Great Anchor Text,” we discussed the best practices and usability of how to use anchor text to preserve your credibility. Here’s the code to help you easily create anchor text in your articles.

URL in Anchor Text:

<a target=”_new” href=”http://your-company-name.com/”>http://your-company-name.com/</a>
View: http://your-company-name.com/

Words in Anchor Text
<a target=”_new” href=”http://your-company-name.com/”>Your Company Name</a>
View: Your Company Name

TIP: Any links in the article body are automatically converted to “nofollow.” Limit your links to your Resource Box and ensure at least one URL is used in anchor text for easy syndication.

5 HTML Best Practices for Expert Authors

HTML requires moderation! Keep these 5 best practices in mind.

• Limit bolding to sub-headers.
  • Only use underline and italics when stylistically correct.
  • Don’t bold keywords for SEO.
  • Double check for closed tags, e.g. </b>.
  • Keep it clean and simple, i.e. don’t overdo it!

There you have it! The core basics of HTML to clean up your articles, make your message more memorable, and properly route your readers to your blog or website. Keep these tips in mind and keep it simple to attract readers and improve your article writing skills.

Birdhouses writes:

Thanks for this post. It is very useful and relevant.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Mark Demers writes:

Thank you , I finally understand what a block quote is (and how to use them).
I would still like to know the SEO value of Strong and emphasized as compared to bold and italic.
When is one better than the other or are they the same(for SEO)?

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Hi Mark,

That is a great question and one that has been debated by many. While Search Engines may treat both with the same weight, there is a difference between the two. The Bold tag will tell a browser what the text should look like, where the Strong tag will indicate a semantic emphasis. Many authors will use these tags interchangeably, but either way you will want to ensure these are not used excessively throughout. Use them sparingly to help your readers see what main points you would like to stand out in your message.

~Vanessa

Years ago I downloaded this information from a posting on EzineArticles and used it to educate myself as to simple HTML programming. That knowledge has become very useful over the years. Thanks again,

Leanne Hoagland-Smith

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Stephen Monday writes:

Great information.

HTML basics are a “must know” for Authors who write for the Web.

Thanks for posting.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

HTML is much easier on the eyes. I bold at least one sentence in my articles just to make it easier for my viewers to read.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

What is the role of using h1 fonts in SEO?

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hi,

We are not able to accept h1 fonts in your articles. To see the full list of HTML we are able to accept please visit: http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/guideline/3c

~Vanessa

Michelle Childs writes:

Thanks for this post, this is a useful refresher for me on basic HTML skills.

Is there any advantage to using HTML when writing our EzineArticles, as opposed to using the WYSIWYG view and using the formatting buttons there?

Michelle

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Terry Chestnutt writes:

This is super helpful to me. You’ve really made a mysterious, even scary, techie thing easy to understand. I never would have tried it without this for lack of some easy to grasp instruction. I will refer to this often. Thanks.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

I am no techie and HTML, for all I care, could be a Martian language. I simply cannot get a grasp of it probably because of my age or my lack of desire to learn it.

But I take exception to the last line of the 2nd paragraph of this article (shown below):

“Not only does it add style to plain text, it helps you simplify content for easier reader comprehension.”

It may add style but I couldn’t see how it helps simplify content and make reader comprehension easier.

Comment provided July 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Opal Marrs writes:

Joseph, I don’t really understand it either. I barley know what it means. But I know I can write and I believe my writing is clear and understandable to most people who read them. I get so tired of seeing acronyms used for government departments or other organizations which I have to research to know to what organizations they apply. Like HTML if the blog didn’t spell it out. My writing has always met the five HTML best practice which are mentioned in the blog, even if I didn’t know what HTML WAS. I will continue to write what my readers will read and understand because what I really want is that they be read. I’m so glad that I am not alone in this regard.

Comment provided July 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I guess the two of us are not alone in our blissful ignorance. I would rather write than get too deep in this html thing.

If I do need pasting html codes into my blogs, I call my technician.

Have a nice day.

Comment provided July 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM

lisa writes:

Another great article.
I agree that using HTML simplifies the readers experience.
It’s been proven that people reading on the internet have a very short attention span. Most skim an article first to see if it is something they want to read in depth.
Using HTML draws the readers eye to the key points of the article and makes it easier for the reader to quickly see the “bones” and the writer’s intent.
Thanks for laying out some basic HTML in plain English!

Comment provided July 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Terry Chestnutt writes:

Makes good sense, lisa. Thanks.

Ibrahim Ilyasu writes:

That’s pretty cool. I must say I have benefited hugely from this article. Keep it up

Comment provided July 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Jerry Nokes writes:

It would be helpful if you made the instructions printable without all the other page content.

Comment provided August 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Daniel B. writes:

This was a very useful article!
I will definitely use the List-Related Tags ( and ) in my next articles! I was always having problems with these kinds of lists when importing them from Microsoft Word.

Comment provided August 21, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Betty L Eriksen writes:

I’d like to be able to make use of HTML code basics but how is it done?

This is a very inspiring blog on how it works but where do I go to access it?

Thank you for sharing.

Comment provided February 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Betty,

These tags are available in the “Body” section of the “Submit New Article” form. To use them, simply turn off the WYSIWYG editor by clicking the button on the bottom of the form. However, it’s not necessary to use these codes – you can simply leave the WYSIWYG editor turned on an use the form like a simplified word processor.

Marc

Alan Katz writes:

I found your article very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided July 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

The article is quite valuable, but leaves me with a question: why is syndicating easier with the whole URL in anchor text, it is already in the link -href-. Are keywords not sufficient? Cheers! Freddie.

Comment provided August 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Kumar Ashish writes:

Your article is very helpful for webmasters .
Thanks for sharing

Comment provided August 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Wulan writes:

This article helps me to understand HTML simply. Thank you :)

Comment provided August 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Mike Gaudreau writes:

Excellent guidelines that I have been unaware of. I will put these into practice and retrofit old articles. Sometimes we lose site of the power of HTML and the search engines.

Comment provided August 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Alan Okina writes:

Great tips. Just revised some basics again here. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided August 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

sikkahoder writes:

Thank you , I finally understand what a block quote is (and how to use them)

I am come from indonesia.. Good bless you…

Comment provided August 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Great resource for basic HTML, I always wondered why there was a difference between font and phrase code.
Thanks!

Comment provided August 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jackie Paulson writes:

Thanks for this post on HTML, I wanted to have it in one spot for my own reference and now that I have my own site this will finally come in handy.

Comment provided August 27, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Kumar Ashish writes:

Thanks For Sharing Its Very Helpful

Comment provided August 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Sam writes:

Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

Comment provided September 28, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Felica writes:

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something
that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad
for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get
the hang of it!