A Guide to Managing Alternate Author Names

Preserve Your Brands with Alternate Author Names
By: Vanessa, Editorial Manager

You play multiple roles in your professional and personal life. Why not create a brand for each of your specialties?

Creating a different brand for each specialty allows you to be specific in each niche without appearing suspicious to your reader. Readers are more likely to trust an expert who specializes in one thing rather than a person who claims to know many different things on a wide variety of subjects, i.e. a “Jack of all trades, master of none.”

For authors, building a brand begins with creating an alternate author name.

What’s an Alternate Author Name?

Alternate author names include co-authors or pseudonyms. A pseudonym or pen name is often adopted by an author to spread their talents into a new niche. You can also use an alternate author name to differentiate yourself from another notable author or to avoid overexposure. Additionally, a pseudonym can be adopted by a ghostwriter to leverage the credibility of another author or brand.

For example, imagine you’re a business manager who manages a creative solutions team and you have published articles on management. You could choose to write articles for creative solutions under another author name to preserve your management brand. Additionally, based on your experience as an Expert Author, you could choose to write about your article writing experiences under another author name.

When Should You Add an Alternate Author Name?

Use these questions to help you determine whether you should add an alternate author name to your My.EzineArticles.com account:

• Did another author collaborate or jointly write an article with you? Add the name of your co-author so your names can appear together on the article or articles.

• Is the article topic outside your primary niche (e.g. Writing Articles vs. Management)? Keep niches separate and organized by designating one niche per name.

• Are you writing on behalf of a company or a client? Submit the article under their name (whether it’s a pseudonym or real name), but ensure you have their permission before you do.

How to Add an Alternate Author Name

For ease of use and organization, you can add an alternate author name by creating a new EzineArticles profile from within your account. To add a new profile (a.k.a. alternate author name):

1. Log into your My.EzineArticles.com account
  2. Select the Expert Author name dropdown menu in the upper-right corner of your screen
  3. Select “Add a new profile”
  4. In the pop-up window, read the Alternate Author Name Terms of Service
  5. In the Author Name field, enter your desired Author Name
  6. Ensure the checkmark box is selected to switch to the new author name profile upon creation
  7. Select “Create”

Begin building your brand by using the above tips. Create strength, confidence, and credibility in your articles and platform at large by choosing your author names wisely. For more information, discover how to stay on the right path to managing multiple brands by clicking here.

Practical tips for a common writing concern!

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

JoeTranscriber writes:

Thank you for this tip. I was looking for this kind of information as I am planning on branching to some other niches. Awesome!

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This can work great with Twitter also, however the challenge is you have to build an audience for each persona to make it effective………..and that can take some time

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Ulki Goswami writes:

Agree with you absolutely! But nothing comes easy in this world, especially success.

Julia writes:

This is precisely what I’ve been doing for ages so it’s nice to have the method recommended. I currently have three author names, each related to different niches. They’re all previous versions of my own name, my maiden name, my married name and the name I changed to by deed poll after getting divorced. Guess if I branch into a new niche I’ll have to create a pen name :)

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Ulki Goswami writes:

“But would it damage my credibility if a person found me writing under multiple niches with different author names?”…. I have the same question.

Julia writes:

I should say that I realize that would be a long shot for anyone to find us writing under two different niches.

Hi Julia,

It’s great to hear you are taking advantage of the benefits gained by using alternate author names for your different niches. Nice job!

It will not damage your credibility if readers were to find out that you do use pen names. This would solely mean that you are an expert in multiple niches and are lending your experience/knowledge as an expert in that particular niche under a pen name, which is common and widely accepted.

~Vanessa

John Buford writes:

For my alternative author names, I have this question. What should I use as a photo for each different persona? For the time being, I am not using any photos at all.

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hi John,

When uploading an author photo, you are associating that image with the brand created by your articles. We would advise against using photos of another person. You always want to represent your own brand, so when creating pen names we recommend using a version of your own name and using a photo of yourself.

Alternate authors are great way to keep your niches and brands separate and organized, but still ‘own’ each niche. For each alternate author, you could use a version of your own name (for example: John A. Article, John Article, J.A. Article), and a different photo of yourself.

~Vanessa

John Buford writes:

Hello Vanessa

Would using an animated photo of yourself be acceptable for an alternative author ?

An animated photo or caricature of you is acceptable. Before using a photo like this, it is important to consider whether the image is delivering the right message you wish to convey to your readers. Will the photo help you build trust, credibility and confidence in your readers? If it isn’t, then you may want to use a different photo of yourself that displays confidence and authority in your particular niche.

~Vanessa

John Buford writes:

Hello Vanessa

Do you have any suggestions on where to find a quality animated photo or caricature.

Thanks
JB

Vincent E Martinelli writes:

I agree that multiple pseudonyms has advantages, but I share concerns with Austin and Julia: establishing a following is hard enough so doing it for multiple personalities may prove to be impossible, and I might permanently damage my reputation. For these reasons, I opted not to have multiple names. However, having multiple niches under the same name might also question my credibility. Opinions?

Comment provided July 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Sanju kmr writes:

Great….useful tips for creating Alternate Author Names….

Comment provided July 31, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Vijay Mishra writes:

Hello Vanessa,

I have already used alternate author name.

Comment provided July 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I am slowly publishing a number of short stories and hope to publish a novel–the short stories serve as background and hopefully an enticement.

i am also a parenting expert and my publisher asked me to use a pen name. Have done so and it does relate my real name somewhat.

My question. I would like to clue in some of my followers as to my pen name, but also think that might defeat the effort to keep the me writing an adult rated novel from me the parent expert. Any thoughts?

Comment provided July 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

John Buford writes:

How about using
Kay Gordy as pen name.

JoeTranscriber writes:

You can put a photo of you that’s been made to look like it’s been drawn as a pencil sketch. You can make it a little vague but recognizable enough to have that mystery effect.

Hope that helps.

Comment provided August 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

For some people, pen names are a must. Wouldn’t make too much sense to be an expert at basketball and also jujitso under the same name… you could lose backend customers over this.

Customers would think you’re not sincere and are just there to make a quick buck from them.

Comment provided August 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hassan Zutell writes:

great tips for a common writing concern!

Comment provided October 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Laura Bungarz writes:

I just created a second pen name. But now I’m confused. I teach basic computer skills and the articles I have been writing up to this point cater to that niche. So I write about things like keeping your clean or signing up for a free email account.
But I also am able to do workshops for businesses and can do advanced word processing, software implementation and professional development.
It’s all one business but it’s 2 very distinct groups of people. Can I have both names linked to the same business? Do I need to create separate business pages, facebook accounts, etc? Or can they be linked like that?

Comment provided January 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Laura,

Since your two niches are so closely linked, it may be unnecessary to have a second pen name. It seems to me that you could write for both niches under the same “computer skills teacher” pen name and steer them all to the same website. You may need to revamp your website and social media presences a bit, but that’s going to be a lot easier than creating a whole new persona and all of it’s supporting presences.

Also, you have a certain brand equity built up in your name. Why sacrifice that for the sake of a new pen name.

Give it some thought, but my recommendation is to not use a second pen name in your case.

Marc

We write and publish articles on behalf of our small business marketing clients. I understand that we can create a new profile for a client and submit their article. However, if the client ever wants to login to their account, they won’t have a separate login, right? So is it better to create new accounts on behalf of each client vs. new profile inside of our account?

Thanks

Comment provided February 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Katerina,

Once a profile is added to your existing account, the articles can never be moved to a separate account for your client. Additionally, it’s unlikely that you’d want all of your clients logging into your account. The best option would be to have your clients set up their own account (using their own business information) and then provide you with the log-in information so you can submit articles and manage the account with their permission.

It’s important that your clients knowingly allow you to create or manage an account on their behalf, so you can gain some reassurance by having them set it up themselves, with the knowledge that you will be managing it.

Marc

Pietro Messa writes:

Hi,
I just created a pen name. Is it possible to change the author of the already published articles? I mean, I prefer to hide my real name (that is visible now) on my article, and leave only my pen name.

Thanks for the help!

Comment provided September 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Hi Pietro –

Unfortunately, once an article is published on EzineArticles, the author name cannot be changed. Feel free to publish new articles moving forward under your new alternate author name!

Gari Khan writes:

my account suspended how to reset our account!

Comment provided November 13, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Hi Gari,

Please contact us in Member Support and we can further assist. Here is the link: http://my.EzineArticles.com/help/contact/

Exactly this is what I’m looking for to track different article categories. Thanks much for info.

Comment provided April 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM