Social Media Tips for Expert Authors

Wrapped Up in Your Own Social Media Web?

Did you know a spider’s web isn’t just one mass of sticky silk? The threads that join at the center of the web aren’t sticky at all! Spiders strategically use this thread to navigate in and out of their webs without getting caught like their prey.

Similar to a spider’s web, experts can get trapped in their own social media web because it’s either a time-consuming obsession or they don’t have a strategy and get wrapped up in the details. Experts who know the safe thread from the sticky thread are the experts who flourish in their social media efforts.

Here are 5 strategies you can use to safely and successfully navigate in and out of your social media web presence.

POPULARITY: Keep an Ear to the Ground

Don’t spread yourself too thin by attempting to have a presence on every social networking site available. Concentrate on those with the most popularity for your target audience, i.e. it’s fairly safe to stick to major social networks like Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Keep an eye out for where your audience goes to avoid being the sole guardian of a dead space no one visits anymore.

SOCIALIZE: Post, Share, Discuss, and Comment Your Way into Their Hearts (and Minds)

The key to remember with social networking sites is the platform was designed to network and to socialize. Successful networking is done on an individual basis to build a connection. You maintain that connection by socializing and sharing your unique insight and position. Be yourself and share your most compelling insights, not just on your profile, but engage and appreciate your audience to encourage reciprocation.

SIGNIFICANCE: All Things Great and Relevant

People want to be in the loop that’s relevant to them. They want to know what’s going on, what’s available, be included in the conversation, relate to other people, know what’s happening, and more. Become a beacon of positivity and share the things you like and even love. Audiences tend to lean toward the relevant and positive, rather than the negative and irrelevant.

BALANCE: There Is Such a Thing as Too Much of a Good Thing

Ever logged into your own social networking accounts, saw your wall flooded with irrelevant posts by others, and had that feeling of “not you again!” Always place quality over quantity. Find that balance you need to prevent yourself from being ignored, unliked, unfollowed, etc. Find the sweet spot between too much and too little. Consistently post a variety of items on a variety of topics (e.g. 1 photo, 1 text-based post, 1 link, etc.) to keep it fresh and avoid inundating your audience with 1 type of post that’s easily ignored.

FOCUS: Don’t Measure Numbers, Measure Involvement

You can have heaps of followers and still have no success in your efforts. This is a result of focus on numbers and not on quality involvement. The amount of people following you is less important than how you actually interact with them. An engaged audience is an active audience that will help spread your credibility and message. Focus on your immediate audience (those actually listening) and more followers will brighten your future.

There you have it! Locate your audience and show your appreciation for their participation. Reciprocate with positive, relevant content to strategically navigate in and out of your social media web.

Want more social media strategies for Expert Authors? Discover how to share your articles on Facebook and Twitter as well as on Pinterest.

Especially like the “Focus” point – it’s so easy to get caught up in building a large number of followers, but I’ve learned the hard way that it’s much better to have fewer followers that are truly interested than more who are not invested. Proof that sometimes size DOESN’T matter!

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

Awesome blog post. I really do need to polish my social media marketing skills, and this post is a great start for me. Thanks!

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Earn Money writes:

The role played by social media cannot be avoided at all. It is one of the key tool for our success.

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Jan writes:

Great timely post. I hadn’t realised just how big a spiders web I’d created for myself. I’m going to revisit and use your tips to improve my connections with my social media platform- thank you Jan

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Owen Jones writes:

Sorry, just a typical ‘nothing’ post to me.

What does it teach?
– ‘get involved’ – wow!
Real news.

It’s just a post for the sake of posting and sucking up to Google.

Owen

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Leslie Rogers writes:

Good point.

A lot of people brag about their numbers but if there’s nothing happening interactively it doesn’t mean a thing.

BTW I hadn’t heard anything good about pintrest yet.

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Michelle Childs writes:

Sound advice for those new to, or trying to find their way around social media. Thanks for the post.

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

danny T writes:

a great blog learnt new thing about social media ,not to make too many account in different socail media site but only make 3 an 4 social media account and follow them .
thanks for your post once again

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Bill Ong writes:

Like the insight given, it is so hard to balance all things “Social Media”. I have come to the realization I need to focus where my demographics I want to reach are, which varies from each marketing campaign designed. A lot of what I am targeting demographically are women, facebook and the upstart Pinterest cover it best from the returns I have seen on my campaigns, thank you for the lesson in objectivity, duly noted and trying to apply in different fashions..

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Having spread myself quite thin at times in my social media, I really appreciate what you are saying. Lately, I have placed the greatest emphasis on Pinterest because it is fun, easy, and helps me to connect with so many people based upon our similar interests. And then I realized that I can link to my articles and books and projects and web sites – and – if people have already connected to me without anything being offered or sold to them, they are more likely to become interested in what I am offering. Your advice is right on!

I find myself regularly commenting on the EzineArticles.com blogs because you are teaching and informing us in every post.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided June 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Lee Cunningham writes:

Yesterday I ace across a Feb page where the owners posted a picture of a fathers day cake. It received over 200 comments. It would prob have received less if in a shop window in a busy street. Relevant? Yes. Fun? Yes. engaging? Definitely.

Just a thought.

Comment provided June 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Daniel McBane writes:

Does anyone use Stumbled Upon. It’s been recommended to me numerous times, but I just can’t seem to figure it out. I definitely get the feeling I’m missing something,

Comment provided June 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM

robert golden writes:

The construction of a web presence is troublesome. I wish to be sincere as suggested above but to be sincere and serious creates a difficult profile on the web when there is so much entertaining and distracting noise; and it is particularly difficult if one is not used to blowing one’s own horn. But thanks for the advice.

Comment provided June 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Cindy Smith writes:

I love pinterest…if you need to redecorate your house, come up with new ideas for 4th of July snacks or superbowl snacks, new ideas for your party, yard, shop for something totally unusual, that is the place to go. Pinterest makes it easy for guys and gals to find a quick and new idea.

Comment provided June 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Veronique writes:

Great post, i totally agree. I admit to get lost in too much vs quality as well. So it’s a great reminder. And yes, focus, focus!

Comment provided September 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

In fact, your advised is good and great. After all, we are told that too much of every is bad. And I think, I t could apply to the social media as well.One involving in too many of them, can not only confuse one, but equally give one less time of paying attention and concentration.However, there is freedom of choose. Regards.

Comment provided October 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM

breegreen writes:

This post is great

Comment provided November 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Tony Hisir writes:

Thank you for the great article. We all have spread ourselves too thin at times. Focus is very important and joining and participating in groups is one of the best ways to get your message out there. Pinterest is one of the easiest search to find people with related interests.

Comment provided May 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM