15-Minute Brainstorming Power-Exercises

5 Strategies to Power-Up Your Articles

Brainstorming isn’t just any old prewriting exercise Expert Authors use to beat writer’s block. From outlines to checklists, many successful Expert Authors will have a few powerful brainstorming exercises up their sleeves to help unlock quality, original articles.

Before we jump into the brainstorming exercises, it’s important to note that the majority of Expert Authors get the most out of these prewriting exercises by clearing away distractions (i.e. turning off instant messages, going to a quiet room, etc.). It has been reported your brain can take at least 4 minutes to re-engage into whatever you’re doing if you’re distracted.

For example, let’s say you receive a text message from a friend during your brainstorming exercise. You read the text in 3 seconds, respond to it in less than 30 seconds. That doesn’t seem like much, but when you add on the 4 minutes it takes to get back into the groove of the exercise – that’s 4 minutes and 33 seconds that you were not focused.

Get the most out of your sessions by blocking off time you know you’re not likely to be distracted. Put away temptations, like social media, so you don’t sabotage yourself. These exercises are just 15 focused minutes – let your email wait.

Without further ado, here are 5 brainstorming power-exercises you can do in 15 minutes:

1. Freewriting: Have a general idea or topic in mind. Then set the clock and write anything that comes to mind. No matter where your idea goes, keep writing without stopping to review what you wrote. This technique will help you unlock any article ideas you have locked in your brain.

2. Recall: After you’ve finished reading something (e.g. an article, book, etc.) set your stopwatch and begin writing everything you can remember about it. Any impressions? How do you think the topic impacts your niche? This technique helps build your authority by gathering new information and sharing originality.

3. Bounce: Whether it’s a peer, a friend, or family member, talk to someone! Discuss your ideas or a new trend in your niche. This technique helps you get feedback on your idea, gives you another perspective, and allows your original idea to evolve.

4. Lists: Pick a topic and begin creating a list of all the attributes of that topic. To give your list more direction, attempt to continue narrowing each topic into a more specific topic or list elements that are related to that topic. For example: Fruit, Apples, Seeds, Water, Fructose, Cross-Pollination, Photosynthesis, etc. This technique helps you create articles that are more focused and consider areas that are often left untouched by other Expert Authors in your niche.

5. Impact: Consider your topic using an “impact” lens or the effect your topic has on you and your readers. Ask yourself: how does your topic impact you, your niche, your community, or society at large? This technique helps you consider your topic from another perspective, as well as creates a point-of-entry or orientation for readers.

Try out one or all of the above 15-minute brainstorming power-exercises to unlock your original ideas and provide quality articles readers crave. Doing so will not only make your writing sessions easier and more fruitful, it will help you increase your exposure and your credibility.

Katie Cooper writes:

Very encouraging posts and tecniques with ways to write. Im pretty much new to this and this is very helpful
Katie

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

KrishnaPokhrel writes:

Dear EzineArticles.com,
I will try my best to write worthy writing article because I need to improve my writing.
krishnaPokhrel

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

RCONNORIII writes:

Getting distracted is my big issue- will try this to stay focused. Have a grea day on purpose!

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Andy writes:

#1 tip works for me. I often get stuck and this is given me a great idea to unblock my ‘writers block’.
Thank you, Andy.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Fax Authority writes:

Always helps to disconnect as much as possible. Brainstorming is one of the most important parts of planning, but you’ve got to be away from everything else going on.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Fred ives writes:

Not neccessarily is there a need to be away from everything so you can consentrate. Have you ever watched someone on a noizy train journey when they are engrossed in a crossword or reading book. We are all different you could easily train yourself to consentrate in any situation . If you consider your interest important enough you will consentrate no matter what.

Fred John Ives writes:

Do you have to be in the mood to brainstorm, or can it be produced at anytime you want it to be?, YES it can. Everything we do starts from the desire to do that which we want to do. So what clicks in our brains to make us think of what we want to do. It can be confusing where the original thought to do something came from? Was it from your brain, who knows?, We are governed by our thoughts generally. You can wake up every morning and look out of your window and think positive or negative about the weather situation, if its raining you may want to curse the weather, ( negative )or bless the rain its filling up the reseviors, its watering the plants and flowers, its watering the vegetables, ( possitive )When you wake up its just as easy to be possitive as negative, so do it. Any day is a good day to write an article. The hardest part is the write the first word then it will start to flow like an unstopable river.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Elena writes:

I like to brainstrom without using any kind of timepiece because, once I do that, I feel pressured, and I am unable to relax and focus properly on my ideas. However, it may work on someone else.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Don Archer writes:

Great article. My wife doesn’t understand the distraction thing though. She’ll walk by and say something to me and if I don’t respond I feel guilty and if I do I’ve lost my train.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Fred ives writes:

Train is the operative word, you must train yourself to be distracted then immediatly go back to your important project, you can do it, it just takes more will power, if you believe in your project enough you will eventually do it instantly.

Russ writes:

I think I like the 4th the best then the 5th but they are all effective. For the 4th one I’m going to try it with one of those bubble diagrams with say: fruit in the big center bubble and then other bubbles branching off with seeds in a bubble, apples in another, water and so on.
Russ
In fact I think I’ll try it right now for one of my niches.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Samuel Bani Dauda writes:

Nice tips! its worth trying.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM

One thing I often do is read the newspaper and write thoughts and ideas that come to mind in the spaces of the margins, or up near the title of the article, things that the article didn’t mention or experiences or observations I’ve had in common or even contradicting that article. In this way, I have the basis for an article which is of interest as it has been in the news, but my information and additional data has not been discussed – thus, it is needed for the national dialogue and discussion.

Otherwise the news misrepresents, distorts, or misses important points of contention, and things people need to know. This would be my comments to your number two item. Likewise participating in forums, or comment sections of news items is similar. If you think about making a comment on a news site, save your breathe, write an article instead, often the comments sections only allow 100 words and your comment might be 250 – add a little more information to that, perhaps cite the article and give a personal story, example, case study, and you instantly have a whole article.

Comment provided May 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

pawan jha writes:

Honestly speaking, I was quite frustrated when more than 15 articles of mine got rejected by EzineArticles citing reasons like inclusion of ungrammatical sentences and above all, the esoteric style of writing. Though I can’t say exactly whether my articles contained grammatical mistakes, but one thing was for sure (and thanks to EzineArticles for teaching me this) that my articles had superfluous wordings, making them incomprehensible. After so many rejections only then I realized where I needed to pull up my socks.

Though I don’t have many articles in credit here in EzineArticles, but the sort of knowledge I got from EzineArticles is truly helpful and productive. I really owe a great favor to EzineArticles for making me so enlightened.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Pawan –

Thank you so much for the kind words. We truly aim to not frustrate our members, so I apologize for that experience. However, I’m glad to hear that you now recognize the value of our Editorial Guidelines and that we were able to help you grow in your authoring skills. :-)

– Marc

Naba Krishna writes:

Thanks for the tips. They are pretty effective to me.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Solomon Okere writes:

very educating, this comes down to focus. you can only be focused when you avoid distractions. the strategies are great.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Paul Chew writes:

Brainstorming exercises is the best method with a few friends in the meeting room to create fresh ideas.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Jon Vaitl writes:

I also recommend mapping – starting with a central idea and then branching off with related words, then branching off those with other related words. It’s like lists, only more “visual.” I find it to be very effective. Sometimes it takes a “non-writing” exercise to spark creativity and generate interesting ideas and connections.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Fred Ives writes:

Brainstorming has to be a natural process with human beings if you look at what we are living in, The universe! the universe is ever expanding and space is infinite Its almost june and have you seen the expansion of the grass and the trees its like an explosion. This tells us that we came from this natural process of expansion so we have inherited the gene of forever expanding we brainstorm naturally without even thinking about it, We read a paper and a million thoughts come into our brains relating to the subject we are reading, We see a photo of someone and as the saying goes , ” a picture says a thousand words” We never have to worry about not being able to brainstorm, I just looked at a few of the articles above and wrote this off the cuff, BRAINSTORMING.

Comment provided May 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Kim writes:

I especially enjoy ‘bouncing’! Even if my family is too busy to listen, I usually have one or two writer friends who are just as anxious to bounce as I am! Great article, thanks for sharing.

Comment provided May 25, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Susan writes:

Number 3 is what works best for me. I love bouncing new massage therapy ideas and techniques off of friends, colleagues, and family. Always helps me better myself!

Comment provided May 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Samuel writes:

As I always say, picking a niche is all the work, after that, fishing content, learning the niche and write your own unique content will be an easy task.
The preperations are the key…

Comment provided June 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

Nice 5-step brainstorming exercise. Whenever i need more inspiration, i often go for a walk outside and catch some fresh air.

Comment provided September 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Mark Hafley writes:

I agree with you second point, it helps build your authority by gathering new information and sharing originality.

Comment provided October 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Tawnee writes:

Thanks. This is just what I needed. very helpful to help me refocus a little.

Comment provided December 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

James smith writes:

Best brainstorming power exercise to relax mind and start to write new informative articles with ease i.e, by fresh mind without any previous work load.

Comment provided December 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Leanne Alder writes:

I love this article. I am going to print it out and put it near the kettle to remind me t do this on a regular basis. Thanks:)

Comment provided July 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM