Increase Traffic, Credibility and Exposure with Google Authorship

This exciting new feature allows you to add your photo and author information to Google search results!

Successful article writing and marketing is all about ongoing incremental improvement rather than revolutionary growth. The ideal approach is to constantly improve your processes in an effort to increase your traffic, credibility, and exposure. Sometimes you’ll discover that a new way of doing things will lead to some pretty impressive results, but typically you’ll need to implement multiple, ongoing enhancements in order to see any radical growth.

Then again, there are times when something comes along that has the potential to have a huge impact on your success.

Enter Google Authorship.

Google Authorship makes it possible to have your photo and other information show up right next to your article listing in search results. This new feature greatly enhances what potential readers will see when they do a search in your niche. For example, take a look at the search results for EzineArticles Expert Author Lisa Mason. It’s not hard to see the huge impact this change has on what a potential reader sees. Your eye is immediately drawn to Lisa’s picture near the top of the page. Clicking on “More by Lisa Mason” leads to a page topped with her image, Google+ profile information, and a list of other articles she’s written.

You, too, can rise above the crowd in search results for your niche. It’s a simple matter of connecting your Google profile to your articles. All you’ll need to do is log into your existing Google profile (or create a new one), upload a professional-looking headshot, add your contributor information, and input the email address linked to your EzineArticles account. Then give EzineArticles permission to share your information.

Here’s how you do it:

1. Follow Google’s step-by-step procedure. We recommend you use Option 1.

2. Log into your My.EzineArticles.com account. Click on the Google+ icon to the left of your member photo. This will link your EzineArticles account with your Google profile and your Google+ account (which are one and the same).

3. Wait patiently. It’s not exactly a speedy process between set-up and approval, but in 7-10 days your picture and authorship information should appear in search results for any articles you’ve written. You will not be notified by Google of your approval, so you’ll have to check search results often.

One thing you’ll probably notice is that it’s a somewhat convoluted process. Take your time and follow Google’s step-by-step instructions carefully. Skipping any step in the process will result in your image and authorship information not showing up in search results. If that happens, step through the process again. Even if you go through the process correctly, you may not get the results you were hoping for. Our internal testing found that multiple attempts were often necessary before we were successful.

Keep in mind that the photo you’ll see in the search results will be your Google+ profile photo, not your EzineArticles Expert Author photo. This is especially important when you’re choosing a photo. Make sure it’s a professional-looking photo of you and represents the way you want to be perceived online.

Bottom Line: This is a very powerful new feature for all EzineArticles Expert Authors. Taking advantage of it now will give you a clear competitive advantage over other Internet authors. The result will be more traffic back to your website, increased credibility, and a lot more exposure for your brand. So go do it now. Opportunities like this don’t come along every day!

Note: The Google Authorship feature is still a work in progress. That means that many aspects, including the visual appearance, functionality, and sign-up process could change at any time.

Though I have been a regular user of EzineArticles but I don’t know about Google authorship yet. This article helped me to understand this better.

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Maybe it is me, but there is no Google Plus Icon near my photograph. I followed the instructions, but hit a snag at this piece of information. I was on the home page.

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Leanne –

Are you working in the My.EzineArticles.com interface or in the old Members.EzineArticles.com interface? This feature only appears in the My.EzineArticles.com interface.

– Marc

That’s right! Good writers have more chances to be popular through this program.

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Marc – The old interface as that is the default one at this time. I will make sure I am on the new one. I thought that might be the problem. Thanks

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM

David Head writes:

Well I’m still a learner here and trying to get my head around all if this.
I’m finding it hard just to do the basics, let alone extra things like google.
Kind Regards David Head

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Sammy JayJay writes:

I have done this, my picture shows up on all my serps that I have google1plus associated with now. Cool..

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I am going around in circles trying to do this, as Google won’t allow me to complete the process. Everywhere I turn, there’s something wrong. Even the links Google sent me to verify an e-mail address Google then told me was an incorrect link when I clicked on it. I just can’t figure this out.

Comment provided March 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Sherilyn –

I understand your frustration. Those of us from the EzineArticles team who’ve tested it stumbled upon a variety of challenges and inconsistencies … so you’re not alone. All that I can recommend is to read the instructions carefully and follow them precisely. You may have to do it multiple times before you have success.

Good luck!

– Marc

This is a great piece of information on making your google listing stand out. I’m sure it will add a nice little boost to my click through rate.

Thanks

Comment provided March 4, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Robert Locke writes:

To verify authorship of a page using an email address, you need to do the following:
1. Make sure that your name (required) and email address (recommended) appear on each page of your content, like this:

I have no idea of how you actually do this. Can anybody help me??

Robert

Comment provided March 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Robert –

This means that you your name simply needs to appear as part of any articles you have posted on the web. That automatically happens with any articles you write for EzineArticles. Just make sure that the name you have on your Google profile matches precisely the name used in your articles.

Also, as noted in our instructions, make sure that you use the same email for Google as you do for EzineArticles.

– Marc

alam mano writes:

Thanks for sharing about the Google authorship, i love reading EzineArticles as most of the articles give many ideas on how to become a good writer.

Comment provided March 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Rajesh Bhardwaj writes:

Yes, this is a great way to enhance visibility and credibility as an author across the globe. Thanks for this useful information.

Comment provided March 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

movers waterloo writes:

Comment provided April 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Online Business writes:

Thanks for sharing the step by step procedure.

Comment provided November 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

ammile writes:

Very nice article

Comment provided November 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Randall Magwood writes:

I’ve been wondering how to do this for the longest. Thanks for this great post. I’m not big on SEO, but i’m sure this is something that will get me more clicks and views to my articles.

Comment provided December 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Patrick Wagner writes:

I think everyone needs to get their Google Authorship setup to take advantage of using your profile image or brand image in the search results user find you under. You really stand out on a page of 10 search results when only 1 to 3 have a Branded Google Authorship setup. Take advantage of this ASAP – great post.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Brian Martin writes:

I have followed the steps as you said – choosing option 1, and also clicked the Google plus box on my Ezine home page. Is this all that is needed to gain the Google authorship. Or is there something else I need to do? Don’t see any other boxes on the Google Plus page.
Thanks

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Brian,

Your Google+ account should now be linked to your EzineArticles account. Check your Google+ profile page for a small EzineArticles logo.

Marc

Matthew Morris writes:

There is a rich snippet tester so you don’t have to wait the 7-10 days to see if your changes will work. I made the change a couple of days ago after reading this post. While my photo doesn’t show up with my articles *yet* in Google search results, pasting the URL of one of my articles in the tester at the below URL does… so hopefully in a week or so Google search will show them:

Comment provided March 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Gracious Store writes:

Thanks for sharing how to link ezinearticle account with Google+

Comment provided March 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Sanoe Fukui writes:

I really appreciate EzineArticles attempt to connect with Google and Google+ as their is such a large community out there and to be able to have our articles accessed with Google Authorship is such a HUGE boost in promoting our work. I am absolutely thrilled at the partnership as I always get a great response when posting my Articles on Google and Google+ Thank you so much for the additional heads up on the process to set that up. I have been awarded a badge for connecting my Google acct with my EzineArticles account. Blessings of Great Health and Wealth-

Comment provided April 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Vagish Vela writes:

I’ve done this a few weeks ago, unfortunately I still don’t see my picture in the Search Results. I do however get authorship for other blogs. It seems it is only working for blogs as far as I know.

Does anyone actually have authorship showing their picture on Google Search for EzineArticles?

Comment provided April 22, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Matthew Morris writes:

I did this for my EzineArticles account at the beginning or March. All of my articles show authorship working in the Google Rich Snippets testing tool, but none show up in my authorship results almost two months later. I also create content for GoCertify.com, my personal blog, my website to support my book series, and a couple of articles for ArticlesBase. I made the authorship change to these sites *after* making it for EzineArticles. Every one of them has shown up with authorship, but not a single one of my EzineArticles has. I even changed a couple of my articles here to have the resource box link directly to my Google+ profile to see if that would help. Nope.

This is especially irritating because authorship *does* work. After my other articles were recognized as ‘mine’ they were raised higher in Google search results and have brought in more traffic.

Vagish Vela writes:

Do you see your EzineArticles showing up on https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/labs-author-stats-1?hl=en&pli=1

Because I don’t and I’ve had authorship set up for a little over 3 weeks now.

Also I noticed Google Authorship seems to work mainly on blog posts and does not work on blog pages (wordpress), when I say doesn’t work I mean the photo doesn’t show up.

Hi Vagish,

It’s important to link to and from your Google+ account. What this means is, make sure your Expert Author Profile has been added to your Contributor links in your Google+ profile. You can find this on the right side of the ‘About’ page of your Google+ profile.

~Vanessa

Vagish Vela writes:

I have for some time now: https://plus.google.com/106681072261317145162

Thanks Vagish! We’ll look into this further.

~Vanessa

Matthew Morris writes:

My EzineArticles content *just* started being recognized as part of my Google Authorship content a few days ago. I linked my account to Google+ at the beginning of March (and tested several of my articles using the Google Rich Snippet tester immediately afterward). Despite the fact that the tester indicated everything was OK, it took just under four months for the articles to show up.

UMeh Oma writes:

Very nice! My article’s yet to be approved so when it does I will surely make use of the widget.

Comment provided August 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM