Expert Author Showcase: Brenda Avadian

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Brenda Avadian in Today’s Author Showcase

Expert Author Brenda Avadian’s career changed dramatically while caring for her father, an Alzheimer’s disease patient. From communication and leadership consultant, to caregiver, spokesperson, advocate, and author, Brenda’s mission is to “bring knowledge, support, and joy to family and professional caregivers through keynotes, workshops, and one-on-one coaching.”

What sets Brenda apart from other Expert Authors is her modest acceptance of praise, even in the light of her success and incredible article writing skills. “Whenever I get to thinking that I am unique and extraordinary, I learn that many of us who are serious about the quality of the information we share with our readers follow a parallel path,” she commented. “I think what makes EzineArticles authors unique is the caliber of training you provide for us to write better quality articles. I give everything to writing…”

In the mid-eighties, as a liberal arts college faculty member, Brenda began writing peer-reviewed articles. “[I] wrote about twenty reviews of textbooks a year,” she stated. “Then I began writing books, and thanks to today’s Internet’s menu of blogging and social media, I write close to 100 articles a year.” What keeps her writing? “[Having] faith that one day, enough people will be touched by my words that my 25+ years of writing will once more rise above the radar,” she said.

Brenda cultivates her inspiration from a variety of methods. Through her own observations, reading articles, watching the news, and reflecting on moving conversations, Brenda gathers article ideas. “When inspired, jot notes,” Brenda remarked. “I need a grease pencil in my shower where much great wisdom originates, then is washed down the drain.” Writing at a computer with two 24-inch screens in front of two windows overlooking the Angeles National Forest in north Los Angeles County, Brenda drafts her ideas and then lets them gestate and mature during her editing process prior to submission.

Discover more of Brenda’s strategies and methods in the following Q&A:

Q: What EzineArticles tool do you find the most beneficial?

A: [Editorial] Guidelines. With many of the automated checks EzineArticles has built in, this has evolved into a premier platform for information sharing and publicity. The guidelines are detailed and meticulous – like the process I follow when writing articles. These guidelines are applicable beyond the EzineArticles platform, to writing each chapter of my next book, [my] blog, and expert writing for other sites.

Q: If you had to start over again, what would you change?

A: When I started there was no Internet and no convenient way to e-share as we have today. I suggest focusing on a few established social share sites like EzineArticles (and no, I’m not being paid to say this). Also, visit blogging websites in your topic area and offer to write an article for a few of them. If you write one article for a different site each month you can cast a pretty wide net.

Q: Anything else you’d like to share?

A: I am an optimist. I keep writing the best articles I am able. Like many authors, I improve with each article (and feel embarrassed while reading earlier works). One day, one or two of these articles will inspire an interview and/or publication in the mainstream media. When this happens, my investment of time and effort will be worth it.

On behalf of the EzineArticles community: Brenda, thank you for sharing your incredible insights and inspiring journey as an Expert Author!

Do you have a question or comment for Brenda? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

Sybal Janssen writes:

I am particulary interested in Breanda’s area of expertise. Before she passed away in her ninties, I was my mother’s caregiver. For me it was easy because she didn’t have Alzeimhers or any devastating disease; she just failed to thrive until she had a stroke. It was worth everything to resign my job and look after my mother myself.

Comment provided March 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Brenda Avadian writes:

What a tribute you made to your mother, Sybal. Thank you for sharing.

How fortunate you were to be able to make such a move–to resign your job. And what a good feeling you have knowing you did everything you could until the end. Now, you have memories you can share.

Feel free to contact me directly through the “About us” tab on The Caregiver’s Voice website.

I cared for my mom when she developed Alzheimer’s and it is such a help to have people like Brenda sharing information and advice on this topic. It’s very devastating for the care givers and they need all the tips they can get. Thanks to people like you Brenda, for helping.

Comment provided March 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Johnnie Green writes:

I cared for my mother until she died at the age of 75. And the was in 1985, I wish I had someone back then to give me advise about care giving.

Comment provided March 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Brenda Avadian writes:

Johnnie, you were a pioneer! And we all know being a pioneer is NOT EASY! And she died young. Thank you for writing.

Brenda Avadian writes:

Thank you, Sheila for taking time to write and share about your experience.

As a fellow cat person, caring for our final kitty living with FIV and surviving with lymphoma of the spleen (miraculously going on 2 years!), our four cats since the mid-eighties have insisted on the kind of cat furniture featured on your website. (CAT LOVERS, click on Sheila’s name for her website.)

Contact me directly through The Caregiver’s Voice website. Hover over the “About us” tab (the pull down menu features a “Contact Us” link).

Comment provided March 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Brenda,
I happen to be interviewing someone today, 3/27/12, on my blogtalkradio show about his experience with caregiving. This is a part of life that is often not talked about. I recently saw a friend who has had many bouts of chemotherapy. Her husband shared with me, briefly, what a struggle it has been for him to have this caretaking role thrust upon him. Your work is so important.

Wamly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided March 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Brenda Avadian writes:

Thank you, Dr. Erica for taking time to write and for helping raise awareness of caregivers through your interview, today.

Lourdes Burias writes:

I am at the brink of giving up taking care of my mom too. I was single handed in providing for her since my father left us. I was 17 when he left and look, I am now 60 years old. I am retired, rubbing shoulders everyday with my mom. She doesn’t want anybody but me to care for her and I find it really very exhausting doing it almost all of the hours of the day. I thought of going away and give myself a break! Thanks to the inspiration you have for everyone here. I thank God I read about you today and read all about what are saying to them. I’ve realized what a real bounty God has given me to serve the woman who has given me life before she would say goodbye forever.

Comment provided March 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Brenda Avadian writes:

Lourdes, you are the kind of caregiver we celebrate on The Caregiver’s Voice Caregiver of the Month recognition program.

Thank you for sharing your own inspiring journey.

Please DO TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF.

You need to ENJOY YOUR OWN LIFE from time to time, whether it is taking a respite for a few hours to a few days.

Lourdes Burias writes:

Thank you Brenda, those are very kind words you say.

Comment provided March 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Elida writes:

You’re on top of the game. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided September 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM