Want an article style that can yield incredible results?
Enter the personal story.
Personal stories, such as tales of triumph or tragedy, are great human interest pieces that attract a wide variety of readers. This style also provides your unique insight in an informal, engaging, compelling, and informative format.
While all articles aim to inform by sharing your own exclusive and original content, personal stories forge a bond between the author and the reader via a link of empathy and trust. Like traditional article writing methods, the best personal story articles still include tips, strategies, techniques, case-studies, analyses, opinions, and commentaries based on your own perspective. However, unlike formal article writing methods, the personal story style is an informal approach that attracts, engages, and cultivates loyal readers on a whole new level of success.
The Art of Storytelling
Sharing a great personal story comes down to an age-old storytelling format:
- Exposition: This is the introduction or the background information orienting the reader into the story. This doesn’t have to be your life-story; merely the important keys to help build a foundation for the reader to familiarize themselves with the setting.
- Rising Action: Introduction of conflicts, obstacles, or extraordinary events that are either controlled or uncontrolled by the protagonist (the main person of the story). This can include your analysis, opinion, or commentary about a particular event, subject, or experience.
- Climax: This is the turning point of the story. Often it is the point of a significant change (good or bad) the story has been building toward.
- Falling Action: The results or events after the climax of the story. This can include the development and execution of a plan, surfacing evidence that reinforces the main point of the climax, and more.
- Denouement (or Conclusion): A resolution is made or the story comes to a close that either resolves or provides the reader with closure.
Additional Tips to Writing an Engaging Personal Story
Here are a few more keys to incorporating a personal story into your articles successfully:
- Pick an Engaging and Compelling Topic – While it is true that the Internet is so large, someone is bound to find any story interesting – deciding which personal story to use can be a challenge. Consider how you got to where you are in your niche today – are there any particular events, experiences, etc. that stick out in your mind? Think of an article topic – what experience or event in your life reminds you of that topic?
- Avoid Writing a Journal or Diary Entry – “When we went to Hawaii, we went to the store to get pineapple juice. After that, we went for a walk, it was breathtaking. Then we went to party that was off the hook.” Boring! A retelling of an itinerary doesn’t provide the reader with informative value.
- Avoid Writing Promotional Content – “I was struggling with my mortgage. I decided to give [Company Name] a shot and I’ve never looked back! [Company Name] has been a fantastic opportunity for me to earn income…” This doesn’t provide the reader with objective or unbiased information and it appears to readers like a recruiting advertisement or promotional copy.
A personal story can be the perfect gateway to build trust with your audience and increase your credibility. Try it for your next set of quality articles!